Janome 1200D Serger

June E Hudspeth

Good Evening:

Hi to: Cheryl of Saskatoon 

I saw in a msg earlier today that you have a Janome Serger 1200D.  Are you happy with it?  Do you know of any good resources to provide help?  I've spent countless hours and found next to nothing on You Tube or the internet.  I signed up for a basic serger class from Craftsy and other than that, nothing.  Manual is OK, but not much wording.  I sure wish there was a workbook, just like they have with the 15000 Janome Sewing Machine.

Thanks for any info.

June

Kaye Lessard

Check on Janome USA site sam f just did a class on the serger use

Cheryl Paul

Hi June,

Yes, I did have the 1200D Serger, but it and I NEVER did get along well, so I sold it for less than ½ of what I paid for it and bought the AT2000 and I LOVE THAT MACHINE,  It doesn't have the Cover Hem capability, but the air threading is wonderful.  I have a Cover Hem 2000, that sits right beside it on built in sewing cupboard - a long desk like space that used to go around a corner, but now is a straight wall unit and not nearly long enough but the room can't accommodate more anyway, so I make do.  

I do have to clarify that the 1200D is not a bad serger, it somehow just didn't feel right for me and had way to many settings that were very badly explained in the manual.  That manual and many other "serger" manuals are not at all well written, hence needing multiple lessons at the dealers or taking many, many classes to learn "extras" that aren't just regular serging.  Also the set up for CoverHem was tedious to say the least.  I bought it so that I could sew using the "LuLu Lemon" stitch and that only worked as long as the afternoon class I took at my dealers.  If I could have left it set up with only that stitch, I'd have been fine, but one has other serging to do as well and the settings were fare too complicated, so I just took my losses and moved on.  The lady that bought my 1200D had another and she approached me, so I only had to say that if she would give me 5 brown bills (Canadian dollar coloured bills) it was hers.  She picked it up an hour later.  I really had to hustle to have it ready for her.  

Cheryl - Saskatoon

June E Hudspeth

Thank you!

-----Original Message-----
From: onlinesewing-janome@groups.io <onlinesewing-janome@groups.io> On
Behalf Of Kaye Lessard
Sent: Monday, November 9, 2020 8:43 AM
To: onlinesewing-janome@groups.io
Subject: Re: [onlinesewing-janome] Janome 1200D Serger

Check on Janome USA site sam f just did a class on the serger use

June E Hudspeth

WOW oh WOW Cheryl.

Thank you so much for your response.

I just got it back from a guy (who was great); he showed me a couple of things.  I’m going to try & hang with it for about another 6 months & if we’re not in a better place, I will do like you, sell the sucker and get something else.

I find it extremely complicated!

Thanks again,

June

From: onlinesewing-janome@groups.io <onlinesewing-janome@groups.io> On Behalf Of Cheryl Paul
Sent: Monday, November 9, 2020 11:36 AM

Hi June,

Yes, I did have the 1200D Serger, but it and I NEVER did get along well, so I sold it for less than ½ of what I paid for it and bought the AT2000 and I LOVE THAT MACHINE,  It doesn't have the Cover Hem capability, but the air threading is wonderful.  I have a Cover Hem 2000, that sits right beside it on built in sewing cupboard - a long desk like space that used to go around a corner, but now is a straight wall unit and not nearly long enough but the room can't accommodate more anyway, so I make do.  

I do have to clarify that the 1200D is not a bad serger, it somehow just didn't feel right for me and had way to many settings that were very badly explained in the manual.  That manual and many other "serger" manuals are not at all well written, hence needing multiple lessons at the dealers or taking many, many classes to learn "extras" that aren't just regular serging.  Also the set up for CoverHem was tedious to say the least.  I bought it so that I could sew using the "LuLu Lemon" stitch and that only worked as long as the afternoon class I took at my dealers.  If I could have left it set up with only that stitch, I'd have been fine, but one has other serging to do as well and the settings were fare too complicated, so I just took my losses and moved on.  The lady that bought my 1200D had another and she approached me, so I only had to say that if she would give me 5 brown bills (Canadian dollar coloured bills) it was hers.  She picked it up an hour later.  I really had to hustle to have it ready for her.  

Cheryl - Saskatoon

Melanie Dumas

I also have a 1200D and even though it seems complicated, take some time to make samples of the stitches you may be using and then try to improve them, just my suggestion (opinion.) It may take some time, but as the old adage states, “ Practice makes Perfect.”

On Nov 9, 2020, at 6:25 PM, June E Hudspeth <juneeh@...> wrote:

WOW oh WOW Cheryl.

I just got it back from a guy (who was great); he showed me a couple of things.  I’m going to try & hang with it for about another 6 months & if we’re not in a better place, I will do like you, sell the sucker and get something else.

Thanks again,

June

From: onlinesewing-janome@groups.io <onlinesewing-janome@groups.io> On Behalf Of Cheryl Paul
Sent: Monday, November 9, 2020 11:36 AM

Hi June,

Cheryl - Saskatoon

Cat - N

I am not familiar with the Janome 1200D.  But, I took a quick look at the Janome 1200D User Manual, and I noticed that it looks A LOT like the Pfaff 4874 Creative...which I have...the mechanisms, I mean.

I was told several years ago by a Janome employee that Janome bought the tech and the company that made the Pfaff 4874.  Hmmm...

What kind of trouble are you having with the 1200D? 

- Cat (FL)

June E Hudspeth

Thanks Melanie!

From: onlinesewing-janome@groups.io <onlinesewing-janome@groups.io> On Behalf Of Melanie Dumas
Sent: Monday, November 9, 2020 5:40 PM

I also have a 1200D and even though it seems complicated, take some time to make samples of the stitches you may be using and then try to improve them, just my suggestion (opinion.) It may take some time, but as the old adage states, “ Practice makes Perfect.”

On Nov 9, 2020, at 6:25 PM, June E Hudspeth <juneeh@...> wrote:

WOW oh WOW Cheryl.

Thanks again,

June

favymtz

Cheryl, I have never heard of the "LuLu Lemon" stitch! So I did some sleuthing.
I still can't determine if it's just a Flatlock stitch? Or a Flatlock plus something so that it's good and sturdy?
Can you advise. Also, maybe send some more info about how a conventional serger could do it, even though you don't remember too much from your class (!)
--
Favymtz

valora hammond

I need to look closer at that stitch but most sports wear is made with a couple cover stitch and the 1200D is the only janome serger that will do a double cover. A bit involved in setting it up but really cool once it is ready. 

On Nov 10, 2020, at 8:22 AM, favymtz <favymtz@...> wrote:

Cheryl, I have never heard of the "LuLu Lemon" stitch! So I did some sleuthing.
I still can't determine if it's just a Flatlock stitch? Or a Flatlock plus something so that it's good and sturdy?
Can you advise. Also, maybe send some more info about how a conventional serger could do it, even though you don't remember too much from your class (!)
--
Favymtz

Cheryl Paul

Cat(Fl),
I was told the same thing about the 1200D and the Pfaff stuff. She was a Pfaff dealer for many, many years before she took on any other brands and now has all the major home sewing brands, except Brother and Juki, which are sold just down the street from her less than a mile away. I didn’t buy the serger from her, but her technician did the repair as it was a nasty, nasty winter here with lots and lots of snow, like we hadn’t seen for years, so I didn’t want to make the trip out to Humboldt, just an hour and a half away, to have it repaired. The Humboldt dealer took care of the cost of the repair, so I was good with that.

June, don’t get me wrong, when I serged regular stitches, I did fine. It was the fancy ones that I purchased the machine for as I had another serger (Husqvarna 936 - also did CoverHem tediously to set up). If I hadn’t had the Husky, I may have been happier with the Janome 1200D but … I have not regretted selling it and my friend has not regretted buying it and as I said, I love my new AT2000. However, Melanie was correct in her comment about “practice makes perfect” - the practice is a very, very important thing and even more so when one gets a new machine that has a bit of a learning curve.

Cheryl - Saskatoon

Cat - N

Very interesting, Cheryl.  I wasn't told anything about the 1200D.  The Janome Rep. that told me about Pfaff and the Janome purchase of that Pfaff tech had worked for the company that was purchased.  I regret not asking the name of the company, but might not have been told anyway...which was why I didn't bother to ask at the time.  My Pfaff was made in Japan, by the way.  I have wondered many times why Janome bought the tech if not to use it in a serger of their own brand, but had not seen a serger that was built on the Pfaff tech yet...not until the discussion of the 1200D.  Fascinating...

I don't know anything about the "LuLu Lemon" stitch, and only finding "lululemon" in seaarches on the internet as an athleticwear company...but the seams I have seen in "lululemon" garments (so far) are "3-needle cover hem (Program 03)" in my Pfaff serger, and shown in the manual, of course.  To create that stitch, you need to be able to use 3 needles at one time.  A lot of sergers are only capable of using 2 needles, but the 1200d shows the same needle positions (5 needle positions, but only 3 needles at once) as my Pfaff 4874...which can absolutely use 3 needles at the same time.  I will continue looking...very curious now...want to see the stitch and if the Pfaff has it...it does so much.

I was just literally blown away when I started looking through that 1200D manual...and found myself looking at a 'skimpy' revision of my Pfaff manual.

The 144-page Pfaff manual, with lots of color photos, is at:

http://www.pfaff.com/SiteMedia/PFAFF/Products/Machines/Support-manuals/creative4874-manual-EN.pdf

Instructions start on page 59 (4-1).

- Cat (FL)

June E Hudspeth

Hi Cat:

It just overwhelms me; so I’m doing a Craftsy serger video and was just looking for more “help/assistance” with operating this machine.

But, as Cheryl & another person said; I need to be patient and take my time to learn this machine. 

I’ve also joined a Serger Club; they meet monthly; but I’m so intimidated; because I’m truly slow. 

However, I’m not a quitter and I will “conquer” (big smile).

Thanks so much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

June (Sac)

From: onlinesewing-janome@groups.io <onlinesewing-janome@groups.io> On Behalf Of Cat - N via groups.io
Sent: Monday, November 9, 2020 9:27 PM

I am not familiar with the Janome 1200D.  But, I took a quick look at the Janome 1200D User Manual, and I noticed that it looks A LOT like the Pfaff 4874 Creative...which I have...the mechanisms, I mean.

I was told several years ago by a Janome employee that Janome bought the tech and the company that made the Pfaff 4874.  Hmmm...

- Cat (FL)

Cat - N

It’s a new thing but will be less intimidating as you use it. It’s easy to feel we might break them by using them when we aren’t familiar with them, and even more so as the price goes up,  but we can’t get familiar if we don’t use them. 

I went very slowly with mine. Well, that’s a lie...lol. My hubby had cut out pieces to make a bag and the minute the box arrived, he set up the machine and presented me with the (ahem) ‘opportunity’ to serge those pieces to make his bag...first time in my life (I was over 60) that I ever touched a serger...but no pressure...lol. The bag came out fine, thanks to an elaborate, ‘button pusher’ serger...and maybe a little because I have been sewing since I was a toddler except while my kids’ schedules did not permit.  My hubby had done the same thing when I got my first embroidery machine ever...sounds habitual...lol

After that, I took my learning process very slowly. 

I tried to take a serger class, but the instructor didn’t know my machine so wouldn’t let me into the class. I didn’t care if she knew my machine...I just wanted to sit, listen, absorb, then go home, grab my book, and fiddle. I wanted to learn the ‘when to use which stitch’ and ‘which stitch not to use for what’ but they wouldn’t let me have a seat in the class for that...even though I was willing to travel 70 miles for it. Lol. I knew sergers, regardless of brand, do similar things...it’s basically just the ‘levers and switches’ that are different between machines...but there is more to it than the machine, too. 

That is really super you have a serger club nearby. Not sure how much help I’d be but you’re welcome to contact me ‘offline’ if you feel the need...even if you just need to ‘scream’...lol

You will get there...just ‘strap in and enjoy the ride’ and remember you can just walk away when you can’t think about it anymore...it will wait patiently for your return. 

- Cat

Typos courtesy of autocorrect. 

On Nov 10, 2020 at 6:55 PM, <June E Hudspeth> wrote:

Hi Cat:

It just overwhelms me; so I’m doing a Craftsy serger video and was just looking for more “help/assistance” with operating this machine.

But, as Cheryl & another person said; I need to be patient and take my time to learn this machine. 

I’ve also joined a Serger Club; they meet monthly; but I’m so intimidated; because I’m truly slow. 

June (Sac)

From: onlinesewing-janome@groups.io <onlinesewing-janome@groups.io> On Behalf Of Cat - N via groups.io

- Cat (FL)

June E Hudspeth

Cat:

You made my day and my eyes got all “watery”!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You and Cheryl are the best!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for your offer and I’ll have to keep you updated on my progress (big smile).

Thanks again!!!!!!!!!!!!!

June

Sent: Wednesday, November 11, 2020 10:58 AM
To: Onlinesewing-Janome <onlinesewing-janome@groups.io>

It’s a new thing but will be less intimidating as you use it. It’s easy to feel we might break them by using them when we aren’t familiar with them, and even more so as the price goes up,  but we can’t get familiar if we don’t use them. 

I went very slowly with mine. Well, that’s a lie...lol. My hubby had cut out pieces to make a bag and the minute the box arrived, he set up the machine and presented me with the (ahem) ‘opportunity’ to serge those pieces to make his bag...first time in my life (I was over 60) that I ever touched a serger...but no pressure...lol. The bag came out fine, thanks to an elaborate, ‘button pusher’ serger...and maybe a little because I have been sewing since I was a toddler except while my kids’ schedules did not permit.  My hubby had done the same thing when I got my first embroidery machine ever...sounds habitual...lol

After that, I took my learning process very slowly. 

I tried to take a serger class, but the instructor didn’t know my machine so wouldn’t let me into the class. I didn’t care if she knew my machine...I just wanted to sit, listen, absorb, then go home, grab my book, and fiddle. I wanted to learn the ‘when to use which stitch’ and ‘which stitch not to use for what’ but they wouldn’t let me have a seat in the class for that...even though I was willing to travel 70 miles for it. Lol. I knew sergers, regardless of brand, do similar things...it’s basically just the ‘levers and switches’ that are different between machines...but there is more to it than the machine, too. 

That is really super you have a serger club nearby. Not sure how much help I’d be but you’re welcome to contact me ‘offline’ if you feel the need...even if you just need to ‘scream’...lol

You will get there...just ‘strap in and enjoy the ride’ and remember you can just walk away when you can’t think about it anymore...it will wait patiently for your return. 

- Cat

Typos courtesy of autocorrect. 

On Nov 10, 2020 at 6:55 PM, <June E Hudspeth> wrote:

Hi Cat:

June (Sac)

- Cat (FL)

Pixey

My mom also has the 1200D and has really liked hers.   The only thing that mom found a bit tedious on hers was going back and forth between the basic edge serging and cover lock stitch...which she sometimes needed on the same project.  For this reason, I bought the 1100D (which is pretty much the 1200D without coverlock) and a separate 1000CPX Coverlock machine that sits next to it.

Though I typically like my 1100D, I have to admit that I have found that it can be a little aggressive if working with a lighter weight fabric.  The other day I was doing a project with some lightweight nylon and it was giving me a little trouble so I pulled my older 644D lighter weight backup basic serger out of the closet and found it worked better for that fabric than the 1100D.

Did yours come with a DVD that had a video with tips on use and shows how to thread it?  I ask because there is one bit of the upper looper threading path that I intuitively do backwards and then gnash teeth when my thread breaks.  I finally took a picture of it and keep it on my iPad to remind me how it is supposed to go.

Pixey

On Nov 8, 2020, at 7:16 AM, June E Hudspeth <juneeh@...> wrote:

Good Evening:

I saw in a msg earlier today that you have a Janome Serger 1200D.  Are you happy with it?  Do you know of any good resources to provide help?  I've spent countless hours and found next to nothing on You Tube or the internet.  I signed up for a basic serger class from Craftsy and other than that, nothing.  Manual is OK, but not much wording.  I sure wish there was a workbook, just like they have with the 15000 Janome Sewing Machine.

Thanks for any info.

June

June E Hudspeth

Thanks so much Pixey!

This sure is a complicated machine, but I vow to conquer it (laugh).

OMG, I sure wish mine did come with a DVD!  But, alas, no it did not.  I found a you tube on threading, but they don’t speak in English (big smile).

We shall persevere!

Thanks again!

June

From: onlinesewing-janome@groups.io <onlinesewing-janome@groups.io> On Behalf Of Pixey via groups.io
Sent: Wednesday, November 11, 2020 4:21 PM

My mom also has the 1200D and has really liked hers.   The only thing that mom found a bit tedious on hers was going back and forth between the basic edge serging and cover lock stitch...which she sometimes needed on the same project.  For this reason, I bought the 1100D (which is pretty much the 1200D without coverlock) and a separate 1000CPX Coverlock machine that sits next to it.

Though I typically like my 1100D, I have to admit that I have found that it can be a little aggressive if working with a lighter weight fabric.  The other day I was doing a project with some lightweight nylon and it was giving me a little trouble so I pulled my older 644D lighter weight backup basic serger out of the closet and found it worked better for that fabric than the 1100D.

Did yours come with a DVD that had a video with tips on use and shows how to thread it?  I ask because there is one bit of the upper looper threading path that I intuitively do backwards and then gnash teeth when my thread breaks.  I finally took a picture of it and keep it on my iPad to remind me how it is supposed to go.

Pixey

On Nov 8, 2020, at 7:16 AM, June E Hudspeth <juneeh@...> wrote:

Good Evening:

Thanks for any info.

June

Cat - N

Pixey, my Janome dealer told me that their customers frequently purchase two separate machines rather than an 'elaborate' (multifunctional) coverlocker.  By then, I already had the Pfaff, but I seriously contemplated getting a separate coverstitch machine, too...or another, lower end serger and leaving the Pfaff in cover hem configuration. 

I especially contemplated it after making 6 knit outfits for my 4-year-old grandson.  It was an 'assembly line' process, mostly because I didn't want to be converting the serger to coverstitch and back to make each outfit using the matching color.  Instead, I used 'generic colored' threads for all interior seams, and only threaded with 'color matching' threads for the cover hem part...which I did last...and I stitched all shirts and shorts that used the same color at the same time before loading the next color.  But while I was making those, I realized just how nice it would be to have two separate machines to perform those very different functions, and just moving from machine to machine. 

Fortunately for my bank account, the Pfaff is easy enough to convert, once you figure out just how easy it is, and soon after making those 6 outfits at once, having converted it back to a 4-thread overedge until needed again, I needed to re-convert it to cover hem again to re-hem a t-shirt for my son. 

By the time I need a new serger, if ever, I have pretty much already decided which one (or current model of it) I am most interested in...unless something else is invented.  LOL

- Cat (FL)

June E Hudspeth

Cat:

So, spill the beans, which is your “coveted” new serger (big smile).

June

Sent: Wednesday, November 11, 2020 8:25 PM

Pixey, my Janome dealer told me that their customers frequently purchase two separate machines rather than an 'elaborate' (multifunctional) coverlocker.  By then, I already had the Pfaff, but I seriously contemplated getting a separate coverstitch machine, too...or another, lower end serger and leaving the Pfaff in cover hem configuration. 

I especially contemplated it after making 6 knit outfits for my 4-year-old grandson.  It was an 'assembly line' process, mostly because I didn't want to be converting the serger to coverstitch and back to make each outfit using the matching color.  Instead, I used 'generic colored' threads for all interior seams, and only threaded with 'color matching' threads for the cover hem part...which I did last...and I stitched all shirts and shorts that used the same color at the same time before loading the next color.  But while I was making those, I realized just how nice it would be to have two separate machines to perform those very different functions, and just moving from machine to machine. 

Fortunately for my bank account, the Pfaff is easy enough to convert, once you figure out just how easy it is, and soon after making those 6 outfits at once, having converted it back to a 4-thread overedge until needed again, I needed to re-convert it to cover hem again to re-hem a t-shirt for my son. 

By the time I need a new serger, if ever, I have pretty much already decided which one (or current model of it) I am most interested in...unless something else is invented.  LOL

- Cat (FL)

Cat - N

LOL...oh...sorry...didn't even think of naming a brand.  I was very interested in the new Janome air threading serger, but I think I still want at least a 5-thread...and kind of hoping Janome comes out with a nice new model in a few years, now that they air threading tech.  But, just after I got the Pfaff, I saw the Baby Lock 8-thread serger (I forget the name at the moment) being demonstrated at a quilt show near here, and was offered a great price by the dealer, which included all the attachments.  Might have bought it right then, except that I already had the very nice Pfaff...and couldn't justify the cost at that moment. 

They don't make the machine I have anymore, but no telling what I will 'need' or want eventually.  My Pfaff is in excellent condition, does a whole bunch of stuff, and may last the rest of my lifetime for what I need...just cannot get attachments for it, since it was a retired model.  Who knows what the future will bring...will re-evaluate if/when I am in the market again...but making a list of 'wants' in a new serger. 

The 8-thread is air-threaded, and has extra space to the right of the needle.  I like the idea of special use machines...serger and separate cover hem machines...just do not have the space right now, since I already have 4 machines (2 embroidery, 1 sewing, and the serger), and hubby has 1 plus a long arm quilter on a 12' frame.  We are working on making a dedicated space...not there yet.

I looked up Program 10 in the 1200D manual.  Not complicated to create that Top Cover Stitch (LuLu Lemon) stitch...does the 3-needle, the 2-needle wide, and the 2-needle narrow, but some re-configuring of the machine is necessary.  I think conversion is possibly more complicated 'looking' and 'sounding' than complicated 'doing'...just have to remember...when company comes for dinner we have to pull the dining table apart to add the leaf in the table, too...LOL

My Pfaff 4874 does those 3 programs plus more "Deco" stitches, but each has its own program number.  The Pfaff book is 144 pages...has a lot of pix and step-by-step directions.

I have been working on an email, but have to stop on it for a bit...have to make some very necessary phone calls.  You might benefit from the threading for the Pfaff...the video is online but not on youtube...although you can look at youtube videos of Pfaff Coverlock 3, too...Sewing Machines Plus I think has the ones I looked at mostly for conversion to cover hem.  Again...it looked really complicated...until I actually did it a few times.

- Cat