From: "nancy chachere via groups.io" <Nchachere@...>
Date: 12/14/21 3:16 PM (GMT-05:00)
To: onlinesewing-janome@groups.io
Subject: [onlinesewing-janome] Janome9900/Elna860

I am trying to embroider on my Elna860(same as Janome9900) when I start the embroidery, the machine stutters, I get an error message, and it will not sew. the error message is "is anything stuck in machine? is cloth too thick? is needle bent?  check these and try again
I have replaced needles, cleaned out machine, rehooped the fabric(quilting cotton), but I cannot make it work. A few minutes before this started, it was working fine.  Has anyone experienced this?

nancy chachere

Thanks for your quick reply.  When I went to take out bobbin case, it seems to be stuck.  What is the best way to remove?

On Dec 14, 2021, at 2:19 PM, Jim Stutsman via groups.io <onlinesewing@...> wrote:

Remove the needle plate and bobbin case. Turn the hand wheel through a couple of stitch cycles. If it is hard to turn, it may be a bushing failure which will require dealer intervention. If it turns easily, put everything back together and try again, including rethreading. It the hand wheel turned without a bobbin case, but is hard to turn with it installed, either it's not in correctly, or it is damaged and is dragging on the hook race.

Jim Stutsman

That's why you got the message. The bobbin case either got spun past the stopper, or was lifted up by thread being out of the take-up lever so it jammed. Remove the thread. Then turn the hand wheel backward (away from you) if you can. That will usually get the bobbin case free. Do not attempt to use it again until the bobbin case has been carefully inspected, top and bottom, for damage. If it's OK, when you put it back in check to make sure the "bump" at about 5 o'clock on the bobbin case goes up against the stopper. See the arrow below for proper positioning. The small spring on that silver stopper (at the tip of the arrow) should look like the photo. If it's bent or missing, see your dealer. Continued use could cause a lot more damage. This is not an expensive part, and it's easy to replace or adjust if needed.

nancy chachere

I dislodged the bobbin case and it works!!!

On Dec 14, 2021, at 2:32 PM, Nancy Chachere <nchachere@...> wrote:

Thanks for your quick reply.  When I went to take out bobbin case, it seems to be stuck.  What is the best way to remove?

On Dec 14, 2021, at 2:19 PM, Jim Stutsman via groups.io <onlinesewing@...> wrote:

Remove the needle plate and bobbin case. Turn the hand wheel through a couple of stitch cycles. If it is hard to turn, it may be a bushing failure which will require dealer intervention. If it turns easily, put everything back together and try again, including rethreading. It the hand wheel turned without a bobbin case, but is hard to turn with it installed, either it's not in correctly, or it is damaged and is dragging on the hook race.

Lyn Quine

I had similar with my 15000, I was terrified!  I put a new bobbin case in as my original had been punctured with a needle strike, I filed it and it was working fine but I wanted a new one, so replaced it.  Hadn’t been using it more than 5 minutes and it dislodged and jammed, the spring at the front gouged a groove in the side.  I put my old case back in and it worked fine, ordered a new one, and that bounces, so spent best part of £60 and I’m still using the original.  I did double check that I had the correct one, because the quiltmaker 15 has a different case to a V2 model.  Janome won’t take it on board that there maybe a problem with either of the new cases.  Got the first from a dealer the second from Janome UK.

On 14 Dec 2021, at 22:38, nancy chachere via groups.io <Nchachere@...> wrote:

 I dislodged the bobbin case and it works!!!

On Dec 14, 2021, at 2:32 PM, Nancy Chachere <nchachere@...> wrote:

Thanks for your quick reply.  When I went to take out bobbin case, it seems to be stuck.  What is the best way to remove?

On Dec 14, 2021, at 2:19 PM, Jim Stutsman via groups.io <onlinesewing@...> wrote:

Remove the needle plate and bobbin case. Turn the hand wheel through a couple of stitch cycles. If it is hard to turn, it may be a bushing failure which will require dealer intervention. If it turns easily, put everything back together and try again, including rethreading. It the hand wheel turned without a bobbin case, but is hard to turn with it installed, either it's not in correctly, or it is damaged and is dragging on the hook race.

Cat - N

Always nice when it works out that way…have had that happen myself.  😁. Glad there’s nothing wrong.

- Cat

Typos courtesy of autocorrect.

On Dec 14, 2021 at 5:38 PM, <nancy chachere via groups.io> wrote:

I dislodged the bobbin case and it works!!!

On Dec 14, 2021, at 2:32 PM, Nancy Chachere <nchachere@...> wrote:

Thanks for your quick reply.  When I went to take out bobbin case, it seems to be stuck.  What is the best way to remove?

On Dec 14, 2021, at 2:19 PM, Jim Stutsman via groups.io <onlinesewing@...> wrote:

Remove the needle plate and bobbin case. Turn the hand wheel through a couple of stitch cycles. If it is hard to turn, it may be a bushing failure which will require dealer intervention. If it turns easily, put everything back together and try again, including rethreading. It the hand wheel turned without a bobbin case, but is hard to turn with it installed, either it's not in correctly, or it is damaged and is dragging on the hook race.

Jane Dunne

I just had a similar thing happen to me, not on an embroidery machine however message was the same. It was a brand new machine! I called and took it right to Janome headquarters in Oakville, Ont and it was a belt that had slid off!
Something I couldn’t fix of course lol! Might be worth a chance to take it in to your dealer.
All these years of sewing, quilting and embroidery, nothing like that had ever happened but the message was identical to what you are saying.
Don’t know if I helped you or not but I thought I would put my two cents worth in.
jane