Issue with MC 550E

candy1027@...

My designs on my  USB stick will no longer open.  What causes this??

Jim Stutsman

There are many possible causes, but without more information it's hard to say. Is it all designs or just new ones? Will designs that you used before open? Are you getting error messages on the machine? Do they open in your computer? What software are you using to create or manage them?

There is also the possibility that the USB stick itself is worn out. The chemical process used to record data on a USB drive is good for 100,000 - 200,000 write operations. Writing is spread over the entire drive, so when one section goes bad, an alternate is assigned. Once all the alternates are gone, it's no longer possible to save data on the drive and you may not be able to open it. Typically this takes a few years to happen, but if you use it a lot it could happen sooner.

candy1027@...

This issue just came up today.  I have used these designs numerous times without a problem on this machine, from this USB stick.  I get no error message.  I do not have a software program.  Should there have been one that came with the machine??  I can't see if they open on my compter, because I have no software.  They files do show up on my computer, but I cannot open them.  Hope this makes sense...

On Friday, November 19, 2021, 01:07:55 PM PST, Jim Stutsman via groups.io <onlinesewing@...> wrote:

There are many possible causes, but without more information it's hard to say. Is it all designs or just new ones? Will designs that you used before open? Are you getting error messages on the machine? Do they open in your computer? What software are you using to create or manage them?

There is also the possibility that the USB stick itself is worn out. The chemical process used to record data on a USB drive is good for 100,000 - 200,000 write operations. Writing is spread over the entire drive, so when one section goes bad, an alternate is assigned. Once all the alternates are gone, it's no longer possible to save data on the drive and you may not be able to open it. Typically this takes a few years to happen, but if you use it a lot it could happen sooner.

atheodossis@...

Hi, that is alarming. How long have you bought the machine for? I hope your dealer is close by and it's something simple. Electronic parts for our machines are so difficult to come by these days. It takes a lot to damage a USB port, so it sounds like there is a software issue. Maybe call the dealer on the phone first and have them walk thru some more in depth troubleshooting?

Let us know how it goes. I have my 14000 and are extremely busy with Santa Workshop right now, it will be devastating if I have an outage, keeping my fingers crossed.