Issue after 15000 Upgrade

candy1027@...

Why do I get the message "Raise Needle Bar and Needle Bar then power on again" when I try to turn on my machine.  I recently had it upgraded to Quitmaker.
This is on the 15000

Candy Brown

Jim Stutsman

Since you said you "had it upgraded" I'm assuming you are in the US and the upgrade was done by a dealer. The message may or may not be related. Essentially it means "When you turned on the machine we did a self-test and it did not pass. We're not going to tell you why." Unfortunately this will involve dealer intervention to correct, as it nearly always is due to one of many sensors being slightly out of adjustment.

Renee Wojnowski

Strangely enough this may be a code, and not an instruction to. That phrase used to pop up on 12000. Following the instructions did nothing. My service person shared it was a code. Google it.

On Fri, Oct 15, 2021 at 3:11 PM <candy1027@...> wrote:
Why do I get the message "Raise Needle Bar and Needle Bar then power on again" when I try to turn on my machine.  I recently had it upgraded to Quitmaker.
This is on the 15000

Candy Brown

Debe

Hello, I had posted sometime ago about my frustration with the 15000 & had felt it had to do with the update, but mine worked fine for many years before this started happening. I was the coordinator of Janome embroidery club for 20+ yrs at my dealers & have had all top machines from the 8000, so am not a “newby”.
Many in the Janome club started having the same problems & then our dealer retired, so a little frustrating (not with him, I should add). I bought the 15 when it first came out & had it updated to Quiltmaker when that was released so had been a few years. Then about Dec 2019 the tension started acting up.
My machine started with the upper tension releasing it seemed when the automatic thread cutter was used. It would sew/embroider fine then when it cut the thread would make a strange noise & I’d have no tension, took awhile to figure out. My dealer tried quite a few things, including changing a sensor & a module.  Janome kept saying they’d never encountered this so he was on his own. After the last module replacement I now get the “needle/presser foot up; turn off power” message, plus the tension still kept going! I would turn it off & would have to wait a few hours or even a day before the tension reset itself.  Some days I wanted to throw it out the door. 😥 I finally overcame this by turning off the thread cutter, but what a pain in embroidery!! So the tension no longer quits, but the message still comes up many times & I just have to turn the machine off & on till it decides to go away. I saw someplace that people replaced the foot pedal, but I unplug mine for embroidery & no difference.
Anyway, 5-6 ladies that I know of with the upgrade have both or one of these problems. I was wondering if the upgrade may have to be reinstalled to fix it, but I think Janome is so busy trying to keep up with other machines they don’t have the time of day to figure out a fix, which I wish they would!! I just need to find a new, reputable dealer & plan on spending a lot of money to finally get it fixed, hopefully.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Deb

Debe

Thanks Renee, I will do that.
Deb

Jim Stutsman

This type of problem can be very difficult to identify and fix, even for an experienced dealer. There are many possibilities for where the problem is. A dealer must guess which part is at fault, order it, swap it, and test. If it doesn't fix the problem, repeat. The least frustrating and expensive option might be to box up the machine and have it sent to Janome for service. They have all the parts and can keep swapping them out until the issue is fixed.

Fran

I’ve had one issue after another since the upgrade but, so far, not with tension. I’ve replaced the bobbin case, faceplate and foot pedal on my own because I tired of carting that heavy machine to the dealer. The bobbin notification doesn’t work so I have to keep an eye on how much thread I have. The buttons now stick. When I push the backup button, I don’t know if it’s going to keep backing up or going forward. The pressor foot also sticks. The stitches skip arbitrarily which has nothing to do with the needle. My mom was absolutely right when she said ‘the more things on a machine, the more there are to go wrong’. 

Kaye Lessard

I also had years with my 15000- my dealer was retiring a few yrs back and I had started getting this message but let her take care of her customers before we looked at mine!!!
Ended up after she tried many things shipping it to janome ! Came back & was fine until about 9 mths
Later Started giving me message again!!
Then Covid happened!!
I have been able so far to get error message rest!!
One time I noticed a small bit of thread caught in bobbin area! Removed it and it reset !!
Frustrating for sure!
I have to speak with another dealer to see if he has dealt with this issue!!
Really don’t want to ship as it should have been fixed 1st time !
Kaye in LA

Mary Jo Hirsch

Kaye.  Janome dealer in Wiggins Mississippi who really understands the 15000 Ms see and sew is shop name.   Great people.  

On Sun, Oct 17, 2021 at 12:04 PM Kaye Lessard <ekay50@...> wrote:
I also had years with my 15000- my dealer was retiring a few yrs back and I had started getting this message but let her take care of her customers before we looked at mine!!!
Ended up after she tried many things shipping it to janome ! Came back & was fine until about 9 mths
Later Started giving me message again!!
Then Covid happened!!
I have been able so far to get error message rest!!
One time I noticed a small bit of thread caught in bobbin area! Removed it and it reset !!
Frustrating for sure!
I have to speak with another dealer to see if he has dealt with this issue!!
Really don’t want to ship as it should have been fixed 1st time !
Kaye in LA

--
null

Debe

Thank you Jim. I figured it was kind of difficult to diagnose because my dealer (retired now) tried a few things but still not working. Like I said, I found out a few ladies from our club have the same or similar problems with the upgraded machine. I do have the 12000 still. I could get the new dealer to send it in, but he is very green on the service end (had nothing to do with sewing machines before he bought the store) so feel a bet hesitant for him to start working on it.
Deb 
PS I am in Canada

Kaye Lessard

My godchild lives in Wiggins!!!
Need to go visit her soon!!

Cheryl Paul

My 15000 is in at the dealers now. I had the needle threader throw a fit and wouldn’t come out of the needle. I had done the up/down, locked the machine and pushed the button. The threader came down snapped into place and then jammed. It didn’t release easily and when it did it didn’t “to home”, so I pushed it into place. Immediately I got a message on the screen to “power off, raise the needle bar slowly, etc.” - can’t remember exactly what it said and didn’t have my phone handy to take a picture. This happened a few times and each time the machine made a funny noise, not loud but just not the sound you want to hear. I knew immediately as this had happened once before at another store, that also sell Janome and I know them well too. Their technician took my machine and fixed it and this would have been before COVID. She explained that the shaft for the needle threader and the one for the needle had crossed over, so one wouldn’t let the other do it’s job - at least that is how I understood it. So when this happened, I took a look, never touched anything, but couldn’t really see what she’d been telling me about, so I took it in to the store where I bought it. It was due to be serviced anyway, so it was no big deal.

This morning the technician called and said that it was ready - This is Wed. October 20 and I just took it in on Mon. Oct. 18th. I was only due to take it in today (20th) just for the fix. I’m hoping that the WHOLE service got put on the take-in receipt as this machine is too heave for me to more than lift off the counter set on the floor or on the next sewing table IF it is close. My hubby even finds it quite heavy but he’s a gem and carries it into the car, store and then does the reverse of all that.

I’ll keep you posted on what happens next.

Cheryl - Saskatoon

Kathy Skagen

Cheryl,
Any 'off' noise coming from our machines is a bit terrifying! I hope that your machine is up and running like new. It's wonderful that they were able to get to it so quickly.
Kathy

On Wednesday, October 20, 2021, 12:09:13 PM CDT, Cheryl Paul <capaul@...> wrote:

My 15000 is in at the dealers now.  I had the needle threader throw a fit and wouldn’t come out of the needle.  I had done the up/down, locked the machine and pushed the button.  The threader came down snapped into place and then jammed.  It didn’t release easily and when it did it didn’t “to home”, so I pushed it into place.  Immediately I got a message on the screen to “power off, raise the needle bar slowly, etc.”  - can’t remember exactly what it said and didn’t have my phone handy to take a picture.  This happened a few times and each time the machine made a funny noise, not loud but just not the sound you want to hear.  I knew immediately as this had happened once before at another store, that also sell Janome and I know them well too.  Their technician took my machine and fixed it and this would have been before COVID.  She explained that the shaft for the needle threader and the one for the needle had crossed over, so one wouldn’t let the other do it’s job - at least that is how I understood it.  So when this happened, I took a look, never touched anything, but couldn’t really see what she’d been telling me about, so I took it in to the store where I bought it.  It was due to be serviced anyway, so it was no big deal. 

This morning the technician called and said that it was ready - This is Wed. October 20 and I just took it in on Mon. Oct. 18th.  I was only due to take it in today (20th) just for the fix.  I’m hoping that the WHOLE service got put on the take-in receipt as this machine is too heave for me to more than lift off the counter set on the floor or on the next sewing table IF it is close.  My hubby even finds it quite heavy but he’s a gem and carries it into the car, store and then does the reverse of all that.

Cheryl - Saskatoon

Cat - N

Oh boy...not what you want to have happen.  No weird noises and definitely nothing stuck where it shouldn't stick.  I hope the repair goes well and your machine is back with you quickly.

- Cat (FL)

-----Original Message-----
To: onlinesewing-janome@groups.io
Sent: Wed, Oct 20, 2021 1:09 pm
Subject: Re: [onlinesewing-janome] Issue after 15000 Upgrade

My 15000 is in at the dealers now.  I had the needle threader throw a fit and wouldn’t come out of the needle.  I had done the up/down, locked the machine and pushed the button.  The threader came down snapped into place and then jammed.  It didn’t release easily and when it did it didn’t “to home”, so I pushed it into place.  Immediately I got a message on the screen to “power off, raise the needle bar slowly, etc.”  - can’t remember exactly what it said and didn’t have my phone handy to take a picture.  This happened a few times and each time the machine made a funny noise, not loud but just not the sound you want to hear.  I knew immediately as this had happened once before at another store, that also sell Janome and I know them well too.  Their technician took my machine and fixed it and this would have been before COVID.  She explained that the shaft for the needle threader and the one for the needle had crossed over, so one wouldn’t let the other do it’s job - at least that is how I understood it.  So when this happened, I took a look, never touched anything, but couldn’t really see what she’d been telling me about, so I took it in to the store where I bought it.  It was due to be serviced anyway, so it was no big deal. 

This morning the technician called and said that it was ready - This is Wed. October 20 and I just took it in on Mon. Oct. 18th.  I was only due to take it in today (20th) just for the fix.  I’m hoping that the WHOLE service got put on the take-in receipt as this machine is too heave for me to more than lift off the counter set on the floor or on the next sewing table IF it is close.  My hubby even finds it quite heavy but he’s a gem and carries it into the car, store and then does the reverse of all that.

Cheryl - Saskatoon

Cheryl Paul

Just picked up my 15000. It was as I suspected - a very messed up threader unit. It is all fixed supposedly, but I haven’t had a chance to try it out. I will only post again if it doesn’t work and needs another visit to my dealer. Eric is very good at his job, so I’m confident that it will work great. I have another machine sitting in it’s spot, so I have to wait until hubby gets home to move the machines around again.

Happy sewing.

Cheryl - Saskatoon