Is This Something?

Kathy Strabel

Greetings: Someone with some machine repair experience might be able to answer this:  I will skip the frustrating details, but let's just say that I picked up my machine from a repair and when I got it home, I found some very fine fibers sticking out of the slot where the first thread guide is attached on my E500 Embroidery-only machine.  I used tweezers to pull on these baby-fine fibers, and what came out was a compacted "bullet" of white fibers. About 1/4" in diameter and sort of random in shape. Far as I know, this is not an oiling point, so probably not an oil wick of any kind.  It had no oil or moisture on it.  My question is this: Is this an oil wick or other "thing" that is supposed to be in that area? If so, what IS it?  It did not take any force to remove it, it just came out with the tweezers. Unfortunately,I set it on the table and either my cat found it and played with it, or aliens took it away, so I cannot take a picture.  I know I could just call the same guy who did the repairs, but that is probably not a good idea at the moment.  Any information appreciated.
Kathy Strabel   Camas WA

Jim Stutsman

A picture of the removed fibers wouldn't be of much help anyway. Much better to have a picture of where they came from. The area you mentioned (first thread guide) contains a small spring, shaped like a ski. It's under a cover, so you can't see it.  It provides very light tension on the thread when winding a bobbin. In normal sewing it does little except keep the thread where it should be, BUT if the thread is pulled backward, i.e. toward the spool, when changing colors that little spring tends to shave tiny fibers off the thread. It will build up to the point that it starts adding tension to the stitches, and sometimes making bobbins wind wonky. During service there may have been a thread "clot" that was dislodged, but not noticed by the technician, and that's likely what you pulled out. So that's good, and it's OK.