Topics

Ironing Board Cover

Cat - N

As I understand it, a fabric capable of withstanding higher heat should be chosen for covering ironing boards.  There is a fabric that can be purchased, either pre-quilted or not...Joann's and other fabric outlets sell it...or 100% cotton can be used.  Cotton will, of course, scorch or worse if an iron sole plate is set on it and allowed to just stay in place, however, I have made a travel, roll-up pressing cloth using cotton and two layers of Insul-Brite, and I have had no issues with it for the little I use it.  I only press on the 'plain' side...there is jumbo rick rack on the 'pretty' (and quilted) side, and it is a poly/cotton blend so I do not want to put heat on the rick rack.

- Cat (FL)

Does anyone have a suggestion about what fabrics will make a
good ironing board cover??  My ironing board is very old, so
it is larger than the ones out there now, so none of those covers
will work.

Thanks,
Joyce 

J Fraker

I bought a folding table at Lowe's that is two feet by four feet with a hard plastic top.  It is a perfect ironing board because I can press a full 44" width of fabric on it.  It has four legs, so is also a lot more sturdy than a regular ironing board.  It wasn't quite as high as I wanted, so I cut some pieces of 1" PVC pipe and slipped them over the table legs and put chair boots on the bottom of the PVC.  I put three layers of polyester batting on top, then used an old sheet in a light tan floral fabric to make the cover.  I put a drawstring in the cover so it is easy to remove for washing.  This is by far the best ironing board I've ever had, especially great for quilting.

On Mon, Mar 12, 2018 at 7:10 PM, Cat - N via Groups.Io <navillusc@...> wrote:
As I understand it, a fabric capable of withstanding higher heat should be chosen for covering ironing boards.  There is a fabric that can be purchased, either pre-quilted or not...Joann's and other fabric outlets sell it...or 100% cotton can be used.  Cotton will, of course, scorch or worse if an iron sole plate is set on it and allowed to just stay in place, however, I have made a travel, roll-up pressing cloth using cotton and two layers of Insul-Brite, and I have had no issues with it for the little I use it.  I only press on the 'plain' side...there is jumbo rick rack on the 'pretty' (and quilted) side, and it is a poly/cotton blend so I do not want to put heat on the rick rack.

- Cat (FL)

Does anyone have a suggestion about what fabrics will make a
good ironing board cover??  My ironing board is very old, so
it is larger than the ones out there now, so none of those covers
will work.

Thanks,
Joyce