Topics

iPads and iPhones

Cat - N

Speaking of iPads and iPhones...

Last month we were 'forced into' making a move from Blackberry phones to 'some other hardware platform' phones, and I now have the iPhone 11 Pro Max.  I won't bore you with my 'heartbreak' at not having a Blackberry, but the issue is that the iPhone 'syncs' every app I install on the iPhone to my two iPads, particularly the Janome branded iPad Air that came with my 15000.  My iPhone is 256 MB but the iPad is nowhere near that, and worse yet...I ONLY use the iPads for the 15000...and maybe a couple games and reading PDF machine manuals, so I really do NOT want the iPads to 'sync' with the phone EXCEPT for apps like FootBook, ThreadBook, AcuDesign, etc.  I cannot tell you how WONDERFUL it is to be able to take my 'lists' with me on the phone now...thank you so very much...maybe I won't buy duplicate presser feet anymore...though the extras DO make NICE gifts!  LOL

Is there a setting that you know of...that I have not been able to find...to stop 'junk' from my phone (like shopping list apps I have been tying out, looking for a decent one, etc.) from landing on my Janome iPad?

- Cat

-----Original Message-----
To: onlinesewing-janome@groups.io
Sent: Tue, May 12, 2020 6:34 pm
Subject: Re: [onlinesewing-janome] Checking in

Amazon has the latest generation of iPads at good prices. Don't get the smallest (32GB), but the next biggest should be fine. Pick the size that works for you. Sadly your iPad 2, or maybe iPad 4 depending on when you got it, is not able to run most of the latest apps. Sadly the pace of software runs much faster than the ability of the hardware to keep up. To make it worse, the battery in an iPad is pretty much not replaceable. The screen is glued on and getting it open is pretty much out of the question. Expect a lifetime of 3-5 years before it either expires is becomes hopelessly obsolete. Ironically the iPhone does have a replaceable battery, though that is not for the faint of heart. I recently attempted to replace the battery on an iPhone 7 so I could use it for development. The process seemed to go smoothly once I got past the adhesive seal making it waterproof. However when I finished putting in the new battery the Home button & Touch ID no longer work. Should have just paid Apple to do it!

Jim Stutsman

Take a look at Settings -> iTunes & App Stores and turn off Apps & App Updates under Automatic Downloads. Once you get done experimenting you may want to turn the options back on, but it should stop the apps from propagating to the iPad. For a shopping list you can use the Reminders app built into iOS. We routinely use it for our once-weekly, now bi-weekly Costco run. You can also use "Hey Siri, add dryer sheets to Costco reminders", though that doesn't always work the way it should. Another built-in app that I use heavily is Notes. Among its many features is a scanner, which is great for making copies of receipts or anything else you want to keep for a while.

Cat - N

Thank you, Jim.  I had done another run-through in SETTINGS, and on the iPad Air, had turned off pretty much everything 'iTunes & App Stores' and/or 'Apps' and/or anything 'Automatic' and/or 'Downloads' related, so I will go through the iPad 4 to make sure I have everything turned off there, too.  I did download a few more 'trial apps' and they did not show up on the Janome iPad Air so...woo hoo...Thank You!

Thank you, also, for the info on the REMINDERS and NOTES apps.  I seem to recall some discussion in the Group about NOTES working well as a 'free form database'...which I have been planning to dig out of my SAVED EMAIL and re-read.

I hardly used Siri on either of my 5s iPhones and I think never on the iPads, but have been trying Siri out more and more...it seems to work better now that it used to years ago.  The BBOS10 Blackberry Assistant did so much more than Siri did, so I used it quite a lot, so hoping Siri is more like the BA app.  I have definitely seen Siri 'get it wrong' on other things, but I suppose that is to be expected with anything 'AI' related.

I had already been 'trialing' REMINDERS and NOTES, but I am really wanting a 'replacement' for the BBM Groups apps so that whichever of us puts something on a shopping list, calendar, etc., it shows up on both of our phones.  That was sooooo nice about the BBM Groups functions, and until recently, BBM was available for Android and iPhone so BBM Groups could include literally all of your family and friends in whichever Groups you created to consolidate all those things into, and it made planning events and such sooooo nice and sooooo easy since everybody in that Group got the same calendar, the same lists, the same shared BBM Messages, the same photos, and, well...I have not seen anything on Android or iPhone that comes anywhere close.

- Cat