iPad stitch file display

Pixey

I know people have talked about losing their stitch file icon images on PCs, but I have now had it happen on my iPad.

I have put my designs up in folders on my iCloud Drive for ease of sending to my 1500p & S9. I have StitchBuddy Pro for iPad as well as AcuEdit. The last time I viewed my files in the folders app, I saw the images because of the latest StitchBuddy update. But I went in yesterday and now all I get is the AcuEdit icon. I think I had used AcuEdit to send a design to my machine. I went into StitchBuddy and played around (on the “last program accessed” theory) but that did not work.

Any tips on how to reset it to get StitchBuddy back primary for viewing the files.

Thanks,
Pixey

Jim Stutsman

Mattes, author of StitchBuddy, follows this list so I'm sure he will jump in. The basic problem is that within an iOS app the developer can specify a specific file type and provide an icon for that type. However a subsequent app can also do the same thing for the same type. Whichever one is installed last wins. This is the same situation that happens on Windows, but Apple does not give you the ability to specify which app will have the privilege of being the icon provider. You might be tempted to remove an app, then reinstall it to make it the latest. However there is a danger with this, because removing an app also removes all of its data files, be they on the iPad or iCloud. Don't remove an app until you have backed up all the files you want to keep.

Kathy Skagen

Pixey,
I don't know if this info will help at all but there was an Apple update this week. That probably affected your defaults. Can you set it in 'settings'? Maybe the StitchBuddy developer will know how you can make it your default again.
Kathy

On Tuesday, November 16, 2021, 09:10:45 AM CST, Pixey via groups.io <pixeyam@...> wrote:

I know people have talked about losing their stitch file icon images on PCs, but I have now had it happen on my iPad.

I have put my designs up in folders on my iCloud Drive for ease of sending to my 1500p & S9. I have StitchBuddy Pro for iPad as well as AcuEdit.  The last time I viewed my files in the folders app, I saw the images because of the latest StitchBuddy update.  But I went in yesterday and now all I get is the AcuEdit icon.  I think I had used AcuEdit to send a design to my machine.  I went into StitchBuddy and played around (on the “last program accessed” theory) but that did not work.

Any tips on how to reset it to get StitchBuddy back primary for viewing the files.

Thanks,
Pixey

Mattes

Jim, as always you've covered the topic - and highlighted the main issue - perfectly:

Apple does not give you the ability to specify which app will have the privilege of being the icon provider.
The only way I know to tweak iOS using a specific app for icon previews is its reinstallation.

Pixey, there are two options, and I suggest to start with the first one to minimize the risk of data loss. Because as Jim stated, deleting an app will also remove its local data (but NOT its iCloud files):

(1.) There is an option to delete an app without erasing local data: Apple calls it "Offloading" and its main purpose is reclaiming storage allocated by seldom used apps: By offloading you can delete the app to have temporarily more storage, and reinstall it later without loosing any data. So I suggest to offload StitchBuddy HD and reinstall it ... hopefully restoring its icon previews. Offloading is an option in the iOS settings under "General" - "iPhone Storage" after selecting StitchBuddy HD.

(2.) If offloading and reinstalling StitchBuddy HD doesn't fix your issue, deleting the app is the next option, but ONLY if you're using StitchBuddy with iCloud synching, so your files are saved in the cloud and will reappear once you have reinstalled the app and activated synching. Nevertheless this is a sensible fix and ever user error might cause DATA LOSS. So please be careful, use it only if step #1 failed and be sure - as always - to have a proper backup of your data.

The every last ressort (and most reliable fix) is of course removing the conflicting app, e.g. AcuEdit ... but I'm pretty sure it doesn't meet your expectations, so I don't consider it a solution. Feel free to contact me via StitchBuddy's support mail, if you have further questions or need some assistence.

Greetings, Matthias

Jim Stutsman

Excellent advice - thanks Mattes!

Pixey

Thanks all.

My iPad does have the most recent update.

I tried offloading StitchBuddy and then reactivating it and did not see any change when I want to my files view.  So since I do have Stitchbuddy backed up in iCloud, I tried the uninstall, reinstall option.  Initially, I did did not see any change.  But when I actually tapped on the design, it now goes to the StitchBuddy display view rather than opening in AcuEdit (which is what it was doing yesterday).  So sort of a fix, even though I now have to actually tap on the individual design to see it.

Next time I use AcuEdit to send to the machine, I will try the ‘tap to view’ option after the Offload step.

Pixey

On Nov 16, 2021, at 2:29 PM, Jim Stutsman via groups.io <onlinesewing@...> wrote:

Excellent advice - thanks Mattes!

Mattes

Edited

Good to know it - at least to some extend - fixed your issue, unfortunately Apple doesn't provide any way to enforce a specific preview provider.

FYI, the situation on macOS is quite similar, and bug reports I (and other developers) raised were never addressed.

Take care, Mattes