iPad and pencil

sandy k

Hi.
What is the most affordable iPad and Apple Pencil? Don’t need anything fancy, but don’t want to waste my money either. My iPad won’t support a pencil and doesn’t have enough storage.
Thanks
Sandy
East Texas

sandykquilts
From my iPhone

Jim Stutsman

This is probably the model you want: https://www.apple.com/ipad-10.2/
However, if you can wait a bit, we're expecting an Apple event soon that may announce new models. The above model is already discounted some at Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=iPad+10.2&ref=nb_sb_noss_2
If  a new model is announced they may drop the price on this one, or other retailers like Best Buy, Costco, etc. may be discounting it.

sandy k

Thank you. More affordable than I thought!

sandykquilts
From my iPhone

On Mar 27, 2021, at 8:59 AM, Jim Stutsman via groups.io <onlinesewing@...> wrote:

This is probably the model you want: https://www.apple.com/ipad-10.2/
However, if you can wait a bit, we're expecting an Apple event soon that may announce new models. The above model is already discounted some at Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=iPad+10.2&ref=nb_sb_noss_2
If  a new model is announced they may drop the price on this one, or other retailers like Best Buy, Costco, etc. may be discounting it.

Mary S. Hahn

On a slightly different topic but still Apple, I have a dinosaur laptop which I have relied on for years which appears to be failing. Do you have a recommendation. I use it for all my Janome storage and transfer of embroidery designs to my machine. I use a much newer phone and iPad for everything else. Looking for a newish laptop for Janome interface. Recommendations please.
Mary Hahn

On Mar 27, 2021, at 7:59 AM, Jim Stutsman via groups.io <onlinesewing@...> wrote:

This is probably the model you want: https://www.apple.com/ipad-10.2/
However, if you can wait a bit, we're expecting an Apple event soon that may announce new models. The above model is already discounted some at Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=iPad+10.2&ref=nb_sb_noss_2
If  a new model is announced they may drop the price on this one, or other retailers like Best Buy, Costco, etc. may be discounting it.

Kathy Skagen

Sandy,
I have the iPad that Jim recommended just now. It is indeed the best price. I bought my Apple Pencil on Amazon. Mine is 1st generation for the iPad 10.2 8th gen and works well. It is normally about $99 but I found it on sale during the holidays for about $15 off of that price. You would want to get your iPad first since the Pencil (1st gen or 2nd gen) is specific to the type of iPad you get.
Kathy

On Saturday, March 27, 2021, 08:54:41 AM CDT, sandy k via groups.io <sandys7777@...> wrote:

Hi.
What is the most affordable iPad and Apple Pencil?  Don’t need anything fancy, but don’t want to waste my money either.  My iPad won’t support a pencil and doesn’t have enough storage.
Thanks
Sandy
East Texas

sandykquilts
From my iPhone

Mattes

Do you have a recommendation. I use it for all my Janome storage and transfer of embroidery designs to my machine.
If you're fine with NOT running Windows on your Mac, I'd look at the new M1 MacBook Air or Pro. I've got the latter and its battery life and speed it gorgeous ... without turning the slightest warm. Compatibility with older apps - not optimized for Apple Silicon - is flawless.

Mattes

Jim Stutsman

I agree with Mattes. I recently got the M1 MacBook Air and it's fantastic. No fan, no heat, lots of speed and long battery life. BUT you cannot run Windows on it, even in a Virtual Machine. If that's a deal breaker you can find lots of discounted MacBook Pros with Intel chips. Just make sure you get a 2020 model, which is when they finally replaced the awful "butterfly" keyboard.

ladybug35186

I have a mini iPad and also a Surface Pro tablet that I have been using for years - still love it.  It's relatively expensive but has not disappointed. Good Luck!

[...]

Thanks to both you and Mattes for your input. I have 2  basic models with each having additional options at additional costs. What model and options do you recommend as at my advanced age this should be my last lapto. Again thanks.

On Mar 27, 2021, at 4:21 PM, Jim Stutsman via groups.io <onlinesewing@...> wrote:

I agree with Mattes. I recently got the M1 MacBook Air and it's fantastic. No fan, no heat, lots of speed and long battery life. BUT you cannot run Windows on it, even in a Virtual Machine. If that's a deal breaker you can find lots of discounted MacBook Pros with Intel chips. Just make sure you get a 2020 model, which is when they finally replaced the awful "butterfly" keyboard.

Jim Stutsman

It comes down to what you want to use it for. If we’re talking email and web, then a base model would be fine. For digitizing you might want to bump the RAM up a bit. I would get an SSD instead of a conventional hard drive. That’s standard on the MacBook Air. Apple’s SSD prices are pretty steep once you get past the base model, but you could always use an external drive if you need more storage. It really comes down to whether you need Windows or not. If you do, then you don’t have many options. If you can get by without Windows any MacBook with the M1 processor would be the best choice. Note that those with M1 can run iPad software on the Mac.