Topics

Ipad

jean_olson@...

I recently bought a used Janome 15000. It was purchased in 2013 but had been updated to V 3. It came with an ipad but it is from then also and cannot run version 10 IOS so I can't use your apps or some of the Janome ones. Can you tell me what version of ipad i would need to have to be sure of those things and perhaps future apps for this machine - as I am quite sure it will be my last one:-) I really want to find a used ipad as it will be all I will need it for and I have spent a lot of money already:-)

Thanks for your help. I have never had an Apple product before.
Jean

Cheryl Watson

Hi. My iPad Pro is two years old and is up to date with software. I have all of the apps from Janome in it. I don’t know about used products. Mine was a birthday gift to myself.
Cheryl

On Sep 12, 2019, at 3:22 PM, jean_olson@... wrote:

I recently bought a used Janome 15000. It was purchased in 2013 but had been updated to V 3. It came with an ipad but it is from then also and cannot run version 10 IOS so I can't use your apps or some of the Janome ones. Can you tell me what version of ipad i would need to have to be sure of those things and perhaps future apps for this machine - as I am quite sure it will be my last one:-) I really want to find a used ipad as it will be all I will need it for and I have spent a lot of money already:-)

Thanks for your help. I have never had an Apple product before.
Jean

Jim Stutsman

Congratulations Jean! You and your 15000 are going to make beautiful things together. Used iPads abound, and I'm sure that you can find one on Craig's List or eBay. However I would be a bit cautious about where you get one. The heart of an iPad is its battery, which has a life and is not replaceable. My preference would be to get a refurbished one from Apple. They come with a full year warranty and are about as close to new as you can get. The main difference is that they come in a plain brown box, not the lovely work of art white box that you get from the store. Whether you get a refurb or find a used one, I would suggest that you make certain it is on this list:
  • 12.9-inch iPad Pro
  • 11-inch iPad Pro
  • 10.5-inch iPad Pro
  • 9.7-inch iPad Pro
  • iPad (6th generation)
  • iPad (5th generation)
  • iPad mini (5th generation)
  • iPad mini 4
  • iPad Air (3rd generation)
  • iPad Air 2
These models are compatible with iOS 13, soon to be released, and will be capable of running all apps for at least a few years. If you are looking at a used one and don't know which version it is, look at the back for the model number. It's in microscopic type under the word iPad on the back. (Magnifying glass required) You can also see it in the Settings app under General -> About. The model number is a combination of letters and numbers. To find out which of the above models it is just Google that number. Currently there is a 5th generation model on the Refurb list for $219, which would be a good buy if your budget allows.

Barbara Castle

Thanks for this very helpful list, Jim. Fortunately for me, personally in the near future, my iPad is just barely on this list. So I will begin saving up for a new one before mine is completely unable to update.

Barbara

On Thu, Sep 12, 2019 at 2:57 PM Jim Stutsman via Groups.Io <onlinesewing=icloud.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Shirley Allen

Jim,  I am looking for a used Ipad too & have been looking on Ebay. My Samsung ipad is not working right & I have been tempted to get a new one.  What can an Ipad do for me with my machine Elna 920 (same as Janome 14000).  I know it shows the proper setting for embroidery, but may not use that too often & I have your cd for the feet & video for the 15000 (love it).  Some interesting prices on Ebay, but I would want factory refurbished verses seller.  What should I look for & do the latest ones all come with the opp of the pencil? PS this pertains to the Apple Ipad & I know my machine is not equiped with Wi Fi

Jim Stutsman

The list I posted previously contains all the models I would recommend. Janome has other apps that will work with your machine, but you've probably already reviewed those at janome.com. All of the Pro iPad models are capable of using one of the two Apple Pencils, which are extra purchase items that are not included with the iPad. The new machines just released offer a new app for iPad, which would probably not be useful for you. However that, plus the fact that they have not developed Android versions of any of their apps, suggests that they do not plan support for Android in the future. I'm about to release a new app for iPhone and iPad, and have stated over and over that we will not be doing Android.

Elizabeth Mccall

Hi Jim ,  I would like  get the new i-Pad & want to know if it will be compatible with my 15000.  My 15000 is updated to the 3.0.  I thought I had literally "killed" my 1500 when I didn't use the correct foot & it jammed down so hard on it.  Good new is I took it to my Janome dealer in Asheville, NC & she was able to fix it in one quick steep,  because it was the catch that holds the bobbin case in place.  Thank goodness for Janome Dealers & repair persons everywhere ! I have 2 new bobbin cases now & she sews like she  like a dream & no signs of ever hated me for mistreating her so badly !

On Fri, Sep 13, 2019 at 10:29 AM Shirley Allen <sowhat1935@...> wrote:
Jim,  I am looking for a used Ipad too & have been looking on Ebay. My Samsung ipad is not working right & I have been tempted to get a new one.  What can an Ipad do for me with my machine Elna 920 (same as Janome 14000).  I know it shows the proper setting for embroidery, but may not use that too often & I have your cd for the feet & video for the 15000 (love it).  Some interesting prices on Ebay, but I would want factory refurbished verses seller.  What should I look for & do the latest ones all come with the opp of the pencil? PS this pertains to the Apple Ipad & I know my machine is not equiped with Wi Fi

Jim Stutsman

All iPads in my post on this topic are compatible with the 15000.

Randi Kemper

Jim, does the higher generation number mean it is newer?
--
Randi Kemper
Magical Machine Embroidery

Jim Stutsman