Topics

Invisible thread

Connie

Jim,
Is it safe to use the good quality invisible thread in both the needle and the bobbin on the 15000?  I am making a purse handle and can't get an exact match for sewing thread. Your thoughts appreciated.

Connie

Jim Stutsman

Yes, it’s fine. However use a little caution:

  • Use the best quality you can get. Superior & Sulky make good polyester versions.

  • Avoid nylon monofilament. It’s very stiff and wiry, and can melt under a hot iron. This can make it hard to thread, or keep threaded for that matter, as it may want to loop over the take-up lever and come out.

  • Use extra caution when threading. Since it’s hard to see, it’s super easy to mis-thread. That can lead to misery. Take your first few stitches slowly to make sure all is well.

Connie

Thank you Jim.  Just ready for this step on purse handle and I think invisible thread the best option.

On January 29, 2020 at 11:59 AM "Jim Stutsman via Groups.Io" <onlinesewing@...> wrote:

Yes, it’s fine. However use a little caution:

  • Use the best quality you can get. Superior & Sulky make good polyester versions.

  • Avoid nylon monofilament. It’s very stiff and wiry, and can melt under a hot iron. This can make it hard to thread, or keep threaded for that matter, as it may want to loop over the take-up lever and come out.

  • Use extra caution when threading. Since it’s hard to see, it’s super easy to mis-thread. That can lead to misery. Take your first few stitches slowly to make sure all is well.

Patricia Ward

Connie,  As some added info; I have used the Superior Polyfilament in my bobbin ( I bought their prewounds and they work well ) and the top thread;... I have quilted several panels with these in the machine; I did loosen my tension by one and I slowed down the speed...   worked fine.  I really do like the Superior Polyfilament.

Pat in MD

On January 29, 2020 at 11:59 AM "Jim Stutsman via Groups.Io" <onlinesewing=icloud.com@groups.io> wrote:

Yes, it’s fine. However use a little caution:

  • Use the best quality you can get. Superior & Sulky make good polyester versions.

  • Avoid nylon monofilament. It’s very stiff and wiry, and can melt under a hot iron. This can make it hard to thread, or keep threaded for that matter, as it may want to loop over the take-up lever and come out.

  • Use extra caution when threading. Since it’s hard to see, it’s super easy to mis-thread. That can lead to misery. Take your first few stitches slowly to make sure all is well.

Debbie

Wonderfil Insvafil is near visible and better than using a nylon filament