From: Mary Mills <mary.mills81@...>
To: onlinesewing-janome@groups.io
Sent: Mon, Aug 3, 2020 8:18 am
Subject: [onlinesewing-janome] Inconsistent tension on 1500

Hi everyone, hope you’re all keeping safe with this dreadful virus that is sweeping the world.   I have a friend in the US who has a Janome 15000 with inconsistent tension and skipped stitching.  She has tried every needle going to no avail, does not matter what fabric she is using or the thickness, the machine plays up on her.  She has been sewing for many years, mostly with Janome so she knows what she’s doing.  She said she is sick of continuously having to adjust the bobbin tension to avoid loops in the sewing.  At the moment she’s sewing 2 1/2” squares into place mats for the homeless and the machine keeps skipping stitches.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.  P.S.  she gets the machine serviced regularly.  Thanks and regards, Mary Mills in Au

Suzanne Martin

Virginia,
You are so right!  I messed with the screws on my yellow bobbin trying to fix tension problems.  From the very beginning I had tension trouble but now I realize it was me not understanding the machine.

Finally purchased a new yellow dot bobbin which I don't mess with and it works fine.  Hopefully the settings stay secure and don't change due to vibration.

I have found for some embroidery designs the red dot bobbin works better.  I have switched out the bobbins in the middle of a design.

The most important thing to check is proper threading of the top thread.

Thank you!
Suzanne Martin, GRI
Associate Broker
Charles Rutenberg LLC
suzmar45@...
(407) 234-6906

On Mon, Aug 3, 2020, 11:34 AM Virginia via groups.io <Fmjfrazier=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
I have been a Janome owner since 1996 and have the 15,000 upgraded to the QCP. One thing I was taught and learned over the years is that Janome machines are set at the factory for the tensions that are correct for the machines. And if we have an issue with the tensions that it is the dealers responsibility to correct it.  I too had this issue at the beginning of 202 and my dealer replaced the entire bobbin assembly and it took 7 weeks for the part but it was worth it.  Once you start playing with the tensions other than what is in the manual you will never get it corrected. To be sure always use the red dot bobbin case for repalr sewing, piecing etc, and the yellow dot bobbin case fort embroidery. There are times that we do have issues with skipping etc, however many times it is the thread we are using, and just like people with foods we all do not like the same thing and with machines not all machines do well with different brands of thread.  Your friend should contact her dealer as the Janome 15.000 is warranted for 5 years after purchase to original owner and take in a sample for him to see.  You mentioned she is doing piecing, hopefully she is in the correct module for the application (the little shirt on the machine) shows the different modules and one is for piecing to get the best results..

Virginia

From: Nyssa Lanzafame <Nyssajoe@...>

which edition of the machine do you have?  there is a plate on the top where the thread first goes through.  this is an area often over looked for lint/ debris build up- a lot of techs will not even access this during a service, unless requested. i am not sure why, but the first edition of the 15000 has this plate as easily removed by the user, and is included in the manual to do so.  i am not sure if it went away in the 2cnd or 3rd edition...maybe Jim can chime in on this?  i would look it up but having trouble with hea
daches right now.  Also, you can easily swing open the door to clean the top thread area---i love this about this machine! ( i have a different machine that i have to use a screw driver and then there are these pesky little clips that i am scared are going to break!)
Nys

Cat - N

The top cover just pops off and is very easy to remove.  I am very gentle removing it and putting it back on anyway just to make sure I don't cause any damage.  The manual does show how to remove it...but I got the attached from someone in 2018...I wish I could remember where I got it so I could give credit...I usually put 'credit' in the filename, but not this time, sadly.  I already knew how to do this...and had done it a few times by then, but saved it because I thought it would come in handy some day since I do not remove that cover very often.

- Cat

Hi Nyssa, I have not taken off the top tension cover. I'm not sure how to access this , but will look into it.
I clean my machine often, cleaning the bobbin case & area around it. Also I take it in yearly for a checkup.
It just seems the yellow dot works better for a smooth tension.
Thanks so much for your answer.
Elizabeth Ann McCall

Claire Schutz

Yes, do remove this cover occasionally as there may be fuzz, had this happen to me and think some may not think of this. Manual shows but it may be difficult to pop open. Claire S.

On 8/8/2020 1:47 PM, Elizabeth Mccall wrote:
Hi Nyssa, I have not taken off the top tension cover. I'm not sure how to access this , but will look into it.
I clean my machine often, cleaning the bobbin case & area around it. Also I take it in yearly for a checkup.
It just seems the yellow dot works better for a smooth tension.
Thanks so much for your answer.
Elizabeth Ann McCall

On Fri, Aug 7, 2020 at 2:28 PM Nyssa Lanzafame <Nyssajoe@...> wrote:
if the stitch balance works better with the yellow, it should be fine.  but it seems like that would indicate that the upper tension is a little tighter than the factory setting should be, or that the thread is hanging up somewhere....possibly a burr or a lint or a piece of thread somewhere, have you taken your top tension cover off to look?

Lou Ann

Based on the signature at the bottom of the PDF, I would say the author was Maggie Cooper.  She was a wonderful teacher and digitizer who sadly passed away a while back.