Topics

Inconsistent tension on 1500

Mary Mills

Hi everyone, hope you’re all keeping safe with this dreadful virus that is sweeping the world.   I have a friend in the US who has a Janome 15000 with inconsistent tension and skipped stitching.  She has tried every needle going to no avail, does not matter what fabric she is using or the thickness, the machine plays up on her.  She has been sewing for many years, mostly with Janome so she knows what she’s doing.  She said she is sick of continuously having to adjust the bobbin tension to avoid loops in the sewing.  At the moment she’s sewing 2 1/2” squares into place mats for the homeless and the machine keeps skipping stitches.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.  P.S.  she gets the machine serviced regularly.  Thanks and regards, Mary Mills in Au

Virginia

I have been a Janome owner since 1996 and have the 15,000 upgraded to the QCP. One thing I was taught and learned over the years is that Janome machines are set at the factory for the tensions that are correct for the machines. And if we have an issue with the tensions that it is the dealers responsibility to correct it.  I too had this issue at the beginning of 202 and my dealer replaced the entire bobbin assembly and it took 7 weeks for the part but it was worth it.  Once you start playing with the tensions other than what is in the manual you will never get it corrected. To be sure always use the red dot bobbin case for repalr sewing, piecing etc, and the yellow dot bobbin case fort embroidery. There are times that we do have issues with skipping etc, however many times it is the thread we are using, and just like people with foods we all do not like the same thing and with machines not all machines do well with different brands of thread.  Your friend should contact her dealer as the Janome 15.000 is warranted for 5 years after purchase to original owner and take in a sample for him to see.  You mentioned she is doing piecing, hopefully she is in the correct module for the application (the little shirt on the machine) shows the different modules and one is for piecing to get the best results..

Virginia

-----Original Message-----
To: onlinesewing-janome@groups.io
Sent: Mon, Aug 3, 2020 8:18 am
Subject: [onlinesewing-janome] Inconsistent tension on 1500

Hi everyone, hope you’re all keeping safe with this dreadful virus that is sweeping the world.   I have a friend in the US who has a Janome 15000 with inconsistent tension and skipped stitching.  She has tried every needle going to no avail, does not matter what fabric she is using or the thickness, the machine plays up on her.  She has been sewing for many years, mostly with Janome so she knows what she’s doing.  She said she is sick of continuously having to adjust the bobbin tension to avoid loops in the sewing.  At the moment she’s sewing 2 1/2” squares into place mats for the homeless and the machine keeps skipping stitches.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.  P.S.  she gets the machine serviced regularly.  Thanks and regards, Mary Mills in Au

Suzanne Martin

Virginia, 
You are so right!  I messed with the screws on my yellow bobbin trying to fix tension problems.  From the very beginning I had tension trouble but now I realize it was me not understanding the machine. 

Finally purchased a new yellow dot bobbin which I don't mess with and it works fine.  Hopefully the settings stay secure and don't change due to vibration. 

I have found for some embroidery designs the red dot bobbin works better.  I have switched out the bobbins in the middle of a design.

The most important thing to check is proper threading of the top thread.

Thank you!
Suzanne Martin, GRI
Associate Broker
Charles Rutenberg LLC
suzmar45@...
(407) 234-6906

On Mon, Aug 3, 2020, 11:34 AM Virginia via groups.io <Fmjfrazier=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
I have been a Janome owner since 1996 and have the 15,000 upgraded to the QCP. One thing I was taught and learned over the years is that Janome machines are set at the factory for the tensions that are correct for the machines. And if we have an issue with the tensions that it is the dealers responsibility to correct it.  I too had this issue at the beginning of 202 and my dealer replaced the entire bobbin assembly and it took 7 weeks for the part but it was worth it.  Once you start playing with the tensions other than what is in the manual you will never get it corrected. To be sure always use the red dot bobbin case for repalr sewing, piecing etc, and the yellow dot bobbin case fort embroidery. There are times that we do have issues with skipping etc, however many times it is the thread we are using, and just like people with foods we all do not like the same thing and with machines not all machines do well with different brands of thread.  Your friend should contact her dealer as the Janome 15.000 is warranted for 5 years after purchase to original owner and take in a sample for him to see.  You mentioned she is doing piecing, hopefully she is in the correct module for the application (the little shirt on the machine) shows the different modules and one is for piecing to get the best results..

Virginia

To: onlinesewing-janome@groups.io
Sent: Mon, Aug 3, 2020 8:18 am
Subject: [onlinesewing-janome] Inconsistent tension on 1500

Hi everyone, hope you’re all keeping safe with this dreadful virus that is sweeping the world.   I have a friend in the US who has a Janome 15000 with inconsistent tension and skipped stitching.  She has tried every needle going to no avail, does not matter what fabric she is using or the thickness, the machine plays up on her.  She has been sewing for many years, mostly with Janome so she knows what she’s doing.  She said she is sick of continuously having to adjust the bobbin tension to avoid loops in the sewing.  At the moment she’s sewing 2 1/2” squares into place mats for the homeless and the machine keeps skipping stitches.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.  P.S.  she gets the machine serviced regularly.  Thanks and regards, Mary Mills in Au

Lyn Quine

I’ve never messed with the tension on the bobbin I achieve better tension by adjusting the top tension, then it goes back to default next time.  Bobbin tension has no default setting, once changed it’s difficult to get it back to where it was.  I found I needed to use the red bobbin case for embroidery when I used Janome prewound bobbins, when I use my own wound ones with non Janome thread  (but Janome bobbins), I need the yellow dot case.  The tension can be affected by using non Janome bobbins, the ones that are supposed to fit a variety of brands, they don’t fit Janome machines, they are smaller, and they bounce and clatter in the machine and that can affect the tension and quality of stitching.  I’m sad to say I did succumb to trying non Janome prewound bobbins, they are supposed to fit, but they don’t, they were a total waste of money as far as my machines were concerned, even my little 350e complained about them, the stitching was awful and they certainly shifted and bounced in the machine, and yet they were recommended for Janome machines, I gave them away to friends who have Brother machines, they seem to like them.  

Suzanne Martin

Good point about the bobbins. I learned to use only Janome bobbins and as soon as I use up my spool of bobbin thread, I'll only buy pre wound bobbins!

Thank you!
Suzanne Martin, GRI
Associate Broker
Charles Rutenberg LLC
suzmar45@...
(407) 234-6906

On Mon, Aug 3, 2020, 12:49 PM Lyn Quine <lynquine@...> wrote:

I’ve never messed with the tension on the bobbin I achieve better tension by adjusting the top tension, then it goes back to default next time.  Bobbin tension has no default setting, once changed it’s difficult to get it back to where it was.  I found I needed to use the red bobbin case for embroidery when I used Janome prewound bobbins, when I use my own wound ones with non Janome thread  (but Janome bobbins), I need the yellow dot case.  The tension can be affected by using non Janome bobbins, the ones that are supposed to fit a variety of brands, they don’t fit Janome machines, they are smaller, and they bounce and clatter in the machine and that can affect the tension and quality of stitching.  I’m sad to say I did succumb to trying non Janome prewound bobbins, they are supposed to fit, but they don’t, they were a total waste of money as far as my machines were concerned, even my little 350e complained about them, the stitching was awful and they certainly shifted and bounced in the machine, and yet they were recommended for Janome machines, I gave them away to friends who have Brother machines, they seem to like them.  

favymtz

Before I had a Janome I embroidered on another brand of machine for which I purchased a very large quantity of pre wound bobbins. They are too small for the Janome, so I just rewind them onto Janome bobbins.
Because factory wound bobbins have about 1/3 more thread on them than what we can wind, each bobbin fills about 1 1/2 Janome bobbins. I usually wind about 3/4 of the way then start a new one for the remaining thread so that I don’t have to change the bobbin so frequently.
 I also recommend that if prewounds are too full that they should be rewound onto another bobbin. The Janome black bobbins are notorious for being too full and causing problems, as well as the Superior prewounds.

--
Favymtz

Vikki Youngmeyer

I had some bobbins that “didn’t quite fit” my Janome machines. The thread colors were pretty and I didn’t want to throw them away. I got some empty bobbins from a Janome dealer and used the bobbin winder to wind the thread from the no-Janome bobbin onto the Janome bobbin. Then I threw the non-Janome bobbins away, so I wouldn’t use them by accident.

Vikki

Houston, TX

Nyssa Lanzafame

Did your friend look under the bobbin , is there any scratch or burr on white plate?  It is a very inexpensive part that is often overlooked. Thread getting caught on it can cause tension wonkiness, doesn’t get snagged and all is fine then suddenly the thread will drag and cause an issue sporadically 

Mary Mills

Thanks to all who replied to my query.  My friend is going to replace her bobbin holder and hopefully sort her problem, regards Mary in Au

blue_lak

You said it's skipping stitches. Are the "loops" really just long threads of skipped stitches, and not loops on the underside when embroidering? That can also be a foot pressure problem. I have a 12000 and notice that I often have to increase foot pressure if using 40 wt thread. Generally it's fine with 50 or 60 wt for piecing and sewing. I also have to adjust it sometimes if I'm using an odd needle. My usual is a Jeans #11 or Quilting #12. Another test she can try is to use the 1/4" flex foot for piecing and see if it still skips stitches. If the Flex foot doesn't skip with regular foot pressure but it does skip with the A foot, that's an indication of a foot pressure problem.

Nyssa Lanzafame

Oops. The white piece I am referring to is actually under the bobbin holder ;)

On Tue, Aug 4, 2020 at 12:21 PM Nyssa Lanzafame via groups.io <Nyssajoe=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
Did your friend look under the bobbin , is there any scratch or burr on white plate?  It is a very inexpensive part that is often overlooked. Thread getting caught on it can cause tension wonkiness, doesn’t get snagged and all is fine then suddenly the thread will drag and cause an issue sporadically 

Elizabeth Mccall

I replaced bobbin cases  on my 1500 quite a few times ...trying to adjust the tension. I also use only Janome bobbins & all cotton thread for piecing &  finally found the YELLOW DOT works better for tension on my machine on all stitching... I do not know why , any ideas?  
 I have had many different Janome for over 20 years  &..I am not happy with embroidery on this machine as I was with the  old 9000 or 11000 . Maybe it is the stitch density that my machine does not do well on...I will admit I am not  sure how to make my own  patterns.   I can download on to jump drives,,,some are good on that especially Nancy has great snowflakes. & others I have bought .
 Again , I hope using the YELLOW DOT all the time is ok for my 15000...
Elizabeth Ann in Western North Carolina.

On Wed, Aug 5, 2020 at 10:14 AM Nyssa Lanzafame <Nyssajoe@...> wrote:
Oops. The white piece I am referring to is actually under the bobbin holder ;)

On Tue, Aug 4, 2020 at 12:21 PM Nyssa Lanzafame via groups.io <Nyssajoe=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
Did your friend look under the bobbin , is there any scratch or burr on white plate?  It is a very inexpensive part that is often overlooked. Thread getting caught on it can cause tension wonkiness, doesn’t get snagged and all is fine then suddenly the thread will drag and cause an issue sporadically 

Nyssa Lanzafame

if the stitch balance works better with the yellow, it should be fine.  but it seems like that would indicate that the upper tension is a little tighter than the factory setting should be, or that the thread is hanging up somewhere....possibly a burr or a lint or a piece of thread somewhere, have you taken your top tension cover off to look?

Elizabeth Mccall

Hi Nyssa, I have not taken off the top tension cover. I'm not sure how to access this , but will look into it. 
I clean my machine often, cleaning the bobbin case & area around it. Also I take it in yearly for a checkup.
It just seems the yellow dot works better for a smooth tension.
Thanks so much for your answer.
Elizabeth Ann McCall

On Fri, Aug 7, 2020 at 2:28 PM Nyssa Lanzafame <Nyssajoe@...> wrote:
if the stitch balance works better with the yellow, it should be fine.  but it seems like that would indicate that the upper tension is a little tighter than the factory setting should be, or that the thread is hanging up somewhere....possibly a burr or a lint or a piece of thread somewhere, have you taken your top tension cover off to look?

Nyssa Lanzafame

which edition of the machine do you have?  there is a plate on the top where the thread first goes through.  this is an area often over looked for lint/ debris build up- a lot of techs will not even access this during a service, unless requested. i am not sure why, but the first edition of the 15000 has this plate as easily removed by the user, and is included in the manual to do so.  i am not sure if it went away in the 2cnd or 3rd edition...maybe Jim can chime in on this?  i would look it up but having trouble with headaches right now.  Also, you can easily swing open the door to clean the top thread area---i love this about this machine! ( i have a different machine that i have to use a screw driver and then there are these pesky little clips that i am scared are going to break!)
Nys

Mary Mills

Thanks for this advice, she brought a yellow tip and the stitching is much improved, I will pass your advice onto her.   Thanks to everyone who helped her, she is much happier.  Regards, Mary in Australia 

Cat - N

My 'guess' is the little top panel over the pre-tension was eliminated from the design at some point after v.2 production began, since the 14000 came out after the 15000 v.2...because my 15000 v.2 (upgraded to v.3 QM) has the panel on top that can easily be removed but my friend's 14000 (purchased a few years after I got my 15000) does not have that panel.

- Cat

which edition of the machine do you have?  there is a plate on the top where the thread first goes through.  this is an area often over looked for lint/ debris build up- a lot of techs will not even access this during a service, unless requested. i am not sure why, but the first edition of the 15000 has this plate as easily removed by the user, and is included in the manual to do so.  i am not sure if it went away in the 2cnd or 3rd edition...maybe Jim can chime in on this?  i would look it up but having trouble with hea
daches right now.  Also, you can easily swing open the door to clean the top thread area---i love this about this machine! ( i have a different machine that i have to use a screw driver and then there are these pesky little clips that i am scared are going to break!)
Nys

Cat - N

The top cover just pops off and is very easy to remove.  I am very gentle removing it and putting it back on anyway just to make sure I don't cause any damage.  The manual does show how to remove it...but I got the attached from someone in 2018...I wish I could remember where I got it so I could give credit...I usually put 'credit' in the filename, but not this time, sadly.  I already knew how to do this...and had done it a few times by then, but saved it because I thought it would come in handy some day since I do not remove that cover very often.

- Cat

Hi Nyssa, I have not taken off the top tension cover. I'm not sure how to access this , but will look into it. 
I clean my machine often, cleaning the bobbin case & area around it. Also I take it in yearly for a checkup.
Elizabeth Ann McCall

Claire Schutz

Yes, do remove this cover occasionally as there may be fuzz, had this happen to me and think some may not think of this. Manual shows but it may be difficult to pop open. Claire S.

On 8/8/2020 1:47 PM, Elizabeth Mccall wrote:
Elizabeth Ann McCall

On Fri, Aug 7, 2020 at 2:28 PM Nyssa Lanzafame <Nyssajoe@...> wrote:

Lou Ann

Based on the signature at the bottom of the PDF, I would say the author was Maggie Cooper.  She was a wonderful teacher and digitizer who sadly passed away a while back.