Topics

I meceived a message from the American Sewng Guild about the mediate need for face masks, how to make them & where to send them. If you are able to help please read the article. We are all home & have lots of time on our hands lets do what we can to help. Shirley


Shirley Allen
 

Here is the info   weneedmasks.org    Sewing angels needed


Mattes
 

Sewing and wearing fabric masks is a good gesture of solidarity and might help to prevent infecting others if you‘re sneezing. It is not protecting you against Sars-CoV-2 ... just to manage expectations.

Fabric masks are not considered PPE and their capability to protect against COVID-19 is unknown.“

Keeping a proper distance to others is currently the only way to flatten the curve of infections enough to improve the medical care situation and research for a cure / vaccine.


Paula Reed
 

I’m already working on mine!!  Thank you for the info!!

 

On Mar 25, 2020, at 5:15 PM, Mattes <info@...> wrote:

Sewing and wearing fabric masks is a good gesture of solidarity and might help to prevent infecting others if you‘re sneezing. It is not protecting you against Sars-CoV-2 ... just to manage expectations.

Fabric masks are not considered PPE and their capability to protect against COVID-19 is unknown.“

Keeping a proper distance to others is currently the only way to flatten the curve of infections enough to improve the medical care situation and research for a cure / vaccine.


Shirley Allen
 

Mr Mattes,  I agree with what you are saying, but do you know are nurses & Drs are asked to reuse their 95 masks again or putting them in a paper bag to be reused.  So homemade masks are being done so a nurse or Dr can add a layer of protection in the masks (which is made in them) or a protective cover like they use in the operation room.  Something is better than nothing & these individuals understand the meaning of protection.  As a nurse I can attest to that.  Hopefully very soon the equipment needed will be readily available.  These are times we have never known before & we all must abide with what they are telling us to do. And each of us should do all we can to help in any way possible.  God Bless these Drs nurses, paramedics,health workers & so on for what they are doing


Jim Stutsman
 

One of our neighbors has a son & daughter-in-law that are both physicians. They asked her to make masks for them. There is a pocket in the mask where they can insert a filter that causes it to actually block virus.


Shirley Allen
 

Thank you for your input


Carolyn Gazerro
 

I am glad you brought that to the group’s attention.  Although the gesture is nice the masks do not protect against the Covid 19 virus.  The required mask is the N95 ones that Hanes and Raytheon are manufacturing. 


Ceil J
 

Jim, Thank you for mentioning this.  Too often folks feel the need to point out that the masks don't protect against Covid 19 but the people who are sewing them and helping out know this and know that hospitals, doctors, nurses, nursing homes and some rescue workers need these due to the profound shortage at this time.  Hopefully this will resolve in the future and we can all be proud of what we did in this time of great need.


Lucy Akers
 

I can't find the link on how to make them. I've been making some for our food bank workers but they will be outdoors so no pocket for a filter.


Shirley Allen
 

Thank you Carolyn.  They are finding ways to use them because they do not have enough and Drs & nurses are aware of the hazards of proper protection. These are brave people to do what they are doing.


Shirley Allen
 

Here it is  weneedmasks.org   And yes please put a pocket in the mask so a filter can be put in.


Steven C. Haber
 

Some hospitals, including our local one, are ASKING community members to make and donate these masks. They have a use for them. The studies I read say that they are less effective than medical grade masks, but something is better than nothing. That’s how desperate we’re getting while state governments have been left hanging on their own trying to get supplies. I hear our local hospital is also distributing them to first responders. So many people across the country are making them that elastic is a lot harder to find now than toilet paper. So, if you have a stash of thin elastic, PLEASE consider donating it to anyone making these masks, or seeing if your local hospital has someone coordinating mask making. They’re not perfect, but they’re better than having nothing.


Carolyn Gazerro
 

Some are requesting ties instead of elastic because they can be adjusted to fit.  


Claire Schutz
 

If anyone is unable to find elastic there are other methods, check other videos for suggestions, Claire S.

On 3/27/2020 7:31 AM, Steven C. Haber via Groups.Io wrote:
Some hospitals, including our local one, are ASKING community members to make and donate these masks. They have a use for them. The studies I read say that they are less effective than medical grade masks, but something is better than nothing. That’s how desperate we’re getting while state governments have been left hanging on their own trying to get supplies. I hear our local hospital is also distributing them to first responders. So many people across the country are making them that elastic is a lot harder to find now than toilet paper. So, if you have a stash of thin elastic, PLEASE consider donating it to anyone making these masks, or seeing if your local hospital has someone coordinating mask making. They’re not perfect, but they’re better than having nothing.


bhd02@...
 

Any chance of getting a photo and directions for this type of mask?


Karen Cone
 

I am making several for our near by nursing homes and hospitals.

On Sat, Mar 28, 2020 at 11:11 AM <bhd02@...> wrote:
Any chance of getting a photo and directions for this type of mask?


Steven C. Haber
 

Here’s a link to the pattern our local hospital is recommending, but they seem to be accepting any type:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rz5pk5s0p634eh1/Beebe%20COVID-19%20Face%20Mask_FINAL.pdf?dl=0


B Diane Landon <publicaddress@...>
 

This link has video and sewing instructions for the mask most are https://www.weneedmasks.org/sew-a-mask/
B Diane Landon Sent from my iPad


Roberta K
 

If you go on YouTube and search for DIY face mask or something similar, you will find that a bunch of tutorials have popped up overnight. Some are easy to follow and some not so much. But you can definitely get the hang of it from watching.

Roberta in FL