I LOVE THIS MACHINE!

christitch <nckrause@...>

The basting stitch on my machine is now fine - on all four hoops! This morning I started over, attached the embroidery unit again, tested the basting stitch, and all is well. I finished a redwork design on a tea towel and have posted a picture in the Photos just to let you see how beautiful the redwork designs are.

Because this is a fabulous - and pricey - machine, I have found myself a little too timid about doing new things like popping out switchplates (love that feature!) and attaching embroidery units. To all you prospective 12000 owners I would just say watch the instructional DVD, read the manual carefully - and then just go for it! Thankfully Jim is always here to bail us out in this Yahoo group.

I love the built-in storage - all the feet AND the extra switchplate and bobbin case fit into the storage. I'm enjoying the needle threader (never used the one on the 10,000 and the 11,000 cuz some people had issues with it). Love the lights and the big machine bed...and I LOVE the size of the hoops!!!!

Can't wait for the Digitizer upgrade, I have so many existing designs I want to play with, but in the meantime I'll enjoy trying more of the beautiful built-in designs.

I'm looking forward to hearing from more of you as you get your machines, and discover what you can do with them!!

Chris in rainy (so what else is new?) Vancouver

Kate <stitchesofmine@...>

How heavy is this machine? I have trouble toting my 11k to class because of the weight

Kate of WindSong Fibers Farm
Sent from my iPhone

Chris Krause <nckrause@...>

Hi, Kate. To answer your question, the machine is 37.9 lbs with the
embroidery unit and 30.2 lbs without. However, the embroidery unit has a
carry case, so I imagine you would carry your machine into class then get
the embroidery unit. I'm guessing the 12000 has not been designed as a
machine that would be frequently taken to classes, but I do know that Janome
makes several lightweight models that are easily transported and very
popular with those who attend classes.

Chris

How heavy is this machine? I have trouble toting my 11k to class because of
the weight

Kate of WindSong Fibers Farm
Sent from my iPhone

Patricia Ward

One of the things that my dealer emphasized was the 30 lbs for just the machine so that you could easily take it to class esp for the new machine instruction classes.  I thought oh.. only 30 lbs?  Doubt with my old arthritic shoulders that I can even lift that.  Then I really laughed when he said that he thinks Janome designed this for the over 50 crowd.. and I thought..' Hmm a mighty strong over 50 crowd".

I really like my Jem 760 for taking to classes.. that is more my weight class.

Pat in MD

On Sat, Oct 22, 2011 at 6:39 PM, Chris Krause <nckrause@...> wrote:
Hi, Kate.  To answer your question, the machine is 37.9 lbs with the
embroidery unit and 30.2 lbs without. However, the embroidery unit has a
carry case, so I imagine you would carry your machine into class then get
the embroidery unit.  I'm guessing the 12000 has not been designed as a
machine that would be frequently taken to classes, but I do know that Janome
makes several lightweight models that are easily transported and very
popular with those who attend classes.

Chris

Jim_Stutsman <jim@...>

At 38 pounds the 12000 is a few pounds lighter than the 11000, but it's also a tad longer. A rolling case would make it a lot easier to take to class. At Janome Institute the president of Janome America was making the rounds of the classrooms with a rolling case that looked like it might be a prototype for a 12000 combination case. I didn't get a chance to talk to him about it, but if I'm right you'll probably see it available in a few months.

I mentioned earlier that we tested out the top line Brother model. There is no way you would ever want to take that machine anywhere. The case for the embroidery unit alone is bigger than any suitcase I've ever owned, it's almost as heavy as the 12000, and it doesn't have wheels!

--- In janome12000@yahoogroups.com, Kate <stitchesofmine@...> wrote:

How heavy is this machine? I have trouble toting my 11k to class because of the weight

Kate of WindSong Fibers Farm
Sent from my iPhone

Frecia Kelly

If the machine is "a few pounds lighter"....what did they leave out?  Or what metal parts were turned into plastic?

Fyfee

Rraffay <rraffay@...>

The emboidery arm detaches as an option that will make it lighter too

Reneah

Sent from my Samsung Epic™ 4G Touch

If the machine is "a few pounds lighter"....what did they leave out?  Or what metal parts were turned into plastic?

Fyfee

Jim_Stutsman <jim@...>

Nothing was left out, in fact a lot has been added. However the removable embroidery arm divides the weight between two pieces, leaving the machine lighter than those with non-removable embroidery mechanisms.

--- In janome12000@yahoogroups.com, Frecia Kelly <fyfeesewingdemon@...> wrote:

If the machine is "a few pounds lighter"....what did they leave out?  Or what metal parts were turned into plastic?

Fyfee

Jen Stosser <jenerators@...>

I heard that the new 12000 machine doesn’t have an automatic needle threader.  Not sure whether that’s a plus or a minus, since it does have the magnifying glass to help you see to thread it yourself?

Jen in Oz, who has only seen the machine “up close” once and not long for that!

--- In janome12000@..., Frecia Kelly wrote:

> If the machine is "a few pounds lighter"....what did they leave out?  Or what metal parts were turned into plastic?
>
> Fyfee

Sue Sweet

Hi Jen,
Yes it does have a needle threader but it’s a manual pull down one, not the automated one that you operate with a touch of a button like on the 11000/10000. A lot of ladies have had problems with the automated ones and they were rather slow.
Sue

Sent: Monday, October 24, 2011 7:09 AM
Subject: RE: [janome12000] Re: I LOVE THIS MACHINE!