HP use on other machine?

Maria Morrow

 Hello,

I’d like to know which of these parts can be used in my Skyline S5?

HP plate
HP foot (not even feed)
HP ruler foot

Are there are pitfalls? (Like needle position etc.)

Benefits when applying binding?

And I did try to put the HP plate on. It seemed fine. But when I chose stitch 04 to move the needle to the left, there was a soft but very distinctive high-pitched whine. I removed the plate, put my regular plate, snd chose stitch 04 and it was gone. I guess that means I can’t use the HP plate and stitch 04....but any comments or experiences you relay are appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

Maria

Cat - N

The HP needle plate and foot were originally for use only with a 'professional quilting model' Janome machine.  Unless the machine has the correct programming, it will not be able to automatically detect the HP needle plate, and set the machine up properly to use the HP needle plate/foot.

As an example, I purchased a version 2 Janome 15000, but it came out before that quilting model, so I had to wait for the version 3 upgrade to be released (and installed on my machine) so my Janome 15000 had the necessary software programming to read the HP plate sensor, properly set the needle position, choose/display available stitches that can be used with that plate/foot, and lock out all features that might damage the machine if used with the HP needle plate/foot configuration.

- Cat

I’d like to know which of these parts can be used in my Skyline S5?

HP plate
HP foot (not even feed)
HP ruler foot

Are there are pitfalls? (Like needle position etc.)

Benefits when applying binding?

And I did try to put the HP plate on.  It seemed fine.  But when I chose stitch 04 to move the needle to the left, there was a soft but very distinctive high-pitched whine.  I removed the plate, put my regular plate, snd chose stitch 04 and it was gone.  I guess that means I can’t use the HP plate and stitch 04....but any comments or experiences you relay are appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

Maria

Maria Morrow

Thank you, Cat!

Maria Morrow
Mobile:  985-640-5024

On Sep 15, 2021, at 4:22 PM, Cat - N via groups.io <navillusc@...> wrote:

[...]

You’re welcome!  It’s a nice needle plate/foot, although I use the HP2 foot with the HP needle plate much more often.  I apologize for not looking up your machine to see what it’s features are and not looking on the internet for updates for it to see if the HP set is an update, but I am helping a friend by quilting her gift quilt to her son and DIL for her new grandson-to-be’s baby shower next month. The quilt is roughly twin size and I am machine quilting parts of it, and will doing the QITH parts tomorrow. The other option was to put it in the long arm but she decided on this quilting design (I digitized the QITH design as an e2e) rather than quilting it as an overall e2e quilting panto.

Anyway, I forgot to mention binding…my first response using my iPhone ‘vaporized before my very eyes’ just before I finished writing it and I rewrote my reply on my PC. I do use the HP2 foot to apply the binding to the quilt because the 1/4” seam it yields works well for me, but I do binding by machine and ‘in reverse’ now due to double vision (astigmatism) I acquired as a result of some ‘aspect’ of an abdominal surgery. You read that right…the surgery had nothing to do with my eyes!  lol  Also, time is an issue, too, so I do it by machine now.

So, I sew the binding to the back of the quilt with the HP2 foot, then flip to the front and sew on the quilt-side edge of the binding on the front side with the Acufeed zipper foot riding on the binding and the needle position at 0 so it’s stitching very near the edge of the binding…1-2 threads from the edge (hopefully…) and there’s a tiny bit of binding showing on the right side of the zipper foot.

I prefer the ‘regular’ way (sewing to front, flipping to the back and hand stitching it down) that we did as kids, etc., but it took me 11 years to find an eye doctor interested in correcting my surgery-acquired double vision astigmatism. I did one quilt binding that way but it took me hours to hand sew it to a 40” x 40” baby quilt because I couldn’t see well and too long to thread the needle each time, so I tried other ways and the way I do it now works pretty good for me and pretty quickly, and doesn’t look terrible. I do pin to the front of the quilt…not to the back…but because I don’t want any wiggle and I can sew right to 1 thread from the pin.  I match the threads to make the stitching disappear if possible.

- Cat

Typos courtesy of autocorrect.

On Sep 15, 2021 at 7:29 PM, <Maria Morrow> wrote:

[...]

Nancy Lusk

Hello Maria,
I'm just seeing your question. I have a Skyline 5 and use both the HP plate and foot frequently. I put the plate on first, before the foot, then put the machine in Mode 1, 04. The screen will read 04S A.  (If you put the HP foot on without the plate, it will read 04.) The needle will align with the hole in the foot and plate. It is great for quilt piecing.

Because this machine does not automatically sense the HP plate and foot, I have a big note on the front of my machine to remind me to take these steps. I have broken a few needles when I've been in a hurry and not changed the mode correctly

I hope this helps,
Nancy

Maria Morrow

Thanks, Nancy!