Topics

How much should it cost

William D Lawson

Hi Jim, Diane and the rest of our marvelous group,

I hope you all are having very special holidays and a happy new year.

when I called my Mom to wish her a Merry Christmas she told me that her 15000 was broken and in the shop. The shop owner said it would cost her over $3000 to fix it.  I wanted to get this groups input before she had this shop do the repair.   I’m not sure of the proper name but what she told me was that “the piece on the embroidery unit that runs the length of the machine was all krinkled.”  I asked her if the piece kind of looked like 35 mm film and she said yes but it was about 2 inches wide    I am not with my 15000 so I can’t look it up in my manual  is that a normal cost to fix or replace the embroidery unit?  Can it be fixed without replacing and what could have caused this?

Thank you for all of your help,
Gwen Lawson

Jim Stutsman

It sounds like they are quoting her the cost of replacing the entire embroidery carriage. What's actually wrong is the film cover over the mechanism. It doesn't take much debris (or bad luck) for it to jam and wrinkle up like an accordion. This part is easily replaced and should not cost more than a few dollars and an hour of labor, certainly not more than $100. Either the shop has had little or no training on service, or they are taking unfair advantage. If no other dealer is available, it would be far cheaper to just have it sent to Janome for repair.

Cheryl Paul

When I had my 12000, which I bought in Saskatoon in 2011 when it was launched by Janome. The embroidery unit never did just click on easily, but as none of my friends had purchased the machine yet at that time, I had no one to compare with “how” this should attach and it was the first Janome that had the embroidery attachment was not a already on the machine. Anyway long story short, in January 2013 a friend and I went to Arizona for a month and we took our 12000’s with us, as we knew that Mulqueen’s had LOTS of sewing events where we could go and learn all about our machines and embroidery. Our first order of business on arriving and unloading the van, was to set up our little sewing room. My attachment would not attach to my machine. Well I did give it a smack with the flat of my hand to help it alone - just one smack though. It would not attache, but Elaine’s did, so we immediately know something was not right. On January 2nd, we were at Mulqueen’s when they opened machine in tow and the attachment too. It turned out to be on the machine side that the holes where the pins go was crushed. I don’t believe that I did that, but there is a possibility that I might have. It turned out that my sewing machine, had to be taken apart and the term use “the head cracked open” to replace the belt that contained the wires and it was about 1 1/2” wide, had to be replaced. The part was about $100 USD, but the labour was quite steep, however, the folks at Mulqueen’s were very good to me and only charged me a few extra dollars to repair it. If I’d been home, warranty might have covered the repair, but since I was in another country I had to pay, if I wanted to use the machine for embroidery. I did agonize over this, but my wonderful husband, brought light into my day and said that I should just look at it as an experience of my trip and fix it there, so that I could enjoy my holiday to the fullest. I did that and have never regretted it. I met some very interesting and very nice folks as result and can never give enough thanks to Ken, the technician, for fixing the machine and to the Mulqueen family for looking after me so well.

What I’m trying to say here is that the repair may be more serious than what has been described. You could help your Mom, if you live close enough to go into the shop with her and find out what the actual repair is and what is involved in fixing it. If the machine can still be used as a sewing machine, she might want to look at the 550E and just buy that instead of spending so much on a repair.

Cheryl - Saskatoon

William D Lawson

Jim, you are like our knight in shining armor!!!!  I think we should start calling you “Sir Jim”. Thank you for easing my 90 year old mother’s fears that her machine was going to be expensive to fix. At her age, she was not willing to invest that much and not willing to learn to use another to embroider.  Thank you so much for being there for us.

Sent from Frontier Yahoo Mail for iPhone

On Thursday, December 26, 2019, 3:33 PM, Jim Stutsman via Groups.Io <onlinesewing@...> wrote:

It sounds like they are quoting her the cost of replacing the entire embroidery carriage. What's actually wrong is the film cover over the mechanism. It doesn't take much debris (or bad luck) for it to jam and wrinkle up like an accordion. This part is easily replaced and should not cost more than a few dollars and an hour of labor, certainly not more than $100. Either the shop has had little or no training on service, or they are taking unfair advantage. If no other dealer is available, it would be far cheaper to just have it sent to Janome for repair.

William D Lawson

My moms machine has never had an issue with putting on the embroidery unit. I think she just got something in it that caused the thingy to crinkle up.

On Friday, December 27, 2019, 9:49 AM, Cheryl Paul <capaul@...> wrote:

[...]

I didn’t realize that your Mom was 90 - NO, she wouldn’t want to make a huge investment into a repair or on another machine.  I was just sharing my experience with a machine I owned some years back.  The repair didn’t cost me what I might have had to pay, partly because it should have been a warranty issue, just that I was out of country, and it wouldn’t have been thousands of dollars if the warranty had been used up.  However, it would have been an unsetting amount of money if Mulqueen’s hadn’t been so kind.

Oh, and the machine was purchased in October of 2012 not 2011, a few months after Janome Institute when it was launched, so I had only had it for a couple months when it needed a major repair.

Cheryl - Saskatoon

Judy Albert

I had to replace the ribbon on my embroidery unit of my MC12000.  The part (the celluloid film) cost $3.47 and the labor cost was $45.00.  The machine is 6 yrs old.  Small price to pay to get it working again.

Judy in Fairfax VA