Horizon Link Upgrade

Andrea LaVergne

I have downloaded the upgrade multiple times from 2 different Mac computers. The download comes through as hlink101.msp but "Kind" is Paint Shop Pro 5. On the MacBook Pro (10.6.8) running with VMWare Fusion (2.05) I actually have Paint Shop Pro 5 and when I open the hink101 is tries to open using Paint Shop.

I also downloaded the upgrade to an I Mac, then onto a thumb drive, which I placed in the MacBook Pro and that still wants to open as an image in Paint Shop. Is there a way that I can change the extension to an .exe or whatever it should be? This is the first download I've ever had a problem with.

Andrea

Vikki Youngmeyer

I don’t know where it is in the Mac operating system, but there should be something like a “file options” which allows you to select which program opens which type of files. Just reinstalling the program won’t change that. The procedure in Windows 7 is to select Microsoft Explorer, find the type of file you want to open, right click on it, select  program and check the box below  to “always use this program”. If the program doesn’t show up in that box, there is a browse button where you can go hunt for the program.

Vikki

Houston, TX

Jim_Stutsman <jim@...>

Andrea you have met the arrogance that is Microsoft. They have chosen "msp" file type for the Microsoft Installer, without regard to the fact that it already was assigned to Paint Shop Pro. However you can get past that. Instead of double clicking on the download file, RIGHT click on it and choose "Open with" from the pop-up menu. When you get the list of programs, choose the Microsoft Installer. If it's not in the list you may have to search for it.

It's unfortunate that Janome has chosen this strange way of doing an update. Other people with Paint Shop Pro will likely have the same problem. It's also a little odd to have to do a "repair" to install an update.

--- In janome12000@yahoogroups.com, "Andrea" <lscsew@...> wrote:

I have downloaded the upgrade multiple times from 2 different Mac computers. The download comes through as hlink101.msp but "Kind" is Paint Shop Pro 5. On the MacBook Pro (10.6.8) running with VMWare Fusion (2.05) I actually have Paint Shop Pro 5 and when I open the hink101 is tries to open using Paint Shop.

I also downloaded the upgrade to an I Mac, then onto a thumb drive, which I placed in the MacBook Pro and that still wants to open as an image in Paint Shop. Is there a way that I can change the extension to an .exe or whatever it should be? This is the first download I've ever had a problem with.

Andrea

Jim_Stutsman <jim@...>

The update file cannot be used in Mac OS X, only in Windows. Those of us that use Macs use a program like Parallels or VMware Fusion to construct a Windows computer inside our Macs.

--- In janome12000@yahoogroups.com, "Vikki Youngmeyer" <vikkiy@...> wrote:

I don't know where it is in the Mac operating system, but there should be
something like a "file options" which allows you to select which program
opens which type of files. Just reinstalling the program won't change that.
The procedure in Windows 7 is to select Microsoft Explorer, find the type of
file you want to open, right click on it, select program and check the box
below to "always use this program". If the program doesn't show up in that
box, there is a browse button where you can go hunt for the program.

Vikki

Houston, TX

Cheryl Paul

I have a MacBook Pro and use Parallels 7 to run Windows - (Jim I will change when I need the next upgrade - to much cash already invested in this one). I always download in the Mac portion to my downloads folder. Then I go into Windows to actually do my upgrade/update by going to the shared folders which happens to be the "Z drive", search out the Downloads folder and go to town from there. So far I've been successful doing things in this way. I don't remember how VMWare works as it has been over a year since I used that for my Windows.

Cheryl - Saskatoon

[...]

VMware Fusion works exactly this way. My drive Z contains all of the Mac folders I have chosen to give Windows access to, so I can get downloads directly from the Download folder. If you're doing OK with Parallels, it's not worth moving to Fusion. Every once in a while they will have a competitive offer that allows people to migrate to Fusion very cheaply, but the two products are so close that there's really no problem "dancing with the girl what brung you!"

--- In janome12000@yahoogroups.com, "Cheryl" <capaul@...> wrote:

I have a MacBook Pro and use Parallels 7 to run Windows - (Jim I will change when I need the next upgrade - to much cash already invested in this one). I always download in the Mac portion to my downloads folder. Then I go into Windows to actually do my upgrade/update by going to the shared folders which happens to be the "Z drive", search out the Downloads folder and go to town from there. So far I've been successful doing things in this way. I don't remember how VMWare works as it has been over a year since I used that for my Windows.

Cheryl - Saskatoon

Andrea LaVergne

Jim I have tried the various Microsoft items that are in my Program files and they will not open the Horizon Link Upgrade. I have nothing that says Microsoft Installer or as Vicki suggested Microsoft Explorer. Do you have any suggestions on possible programs? I did a search on appplications and on installers and tried everything that was under those two catagories.
Andrea

Jim Stutsman <jim@...>

Here's a link to download the Microsoft Installer. It's the last download button in the list for XP.

This should get you to the point of being able to install the update, but it might break the ability to open Paint Shop Pro files. If that happens, the next time you need to open a PSP file just right click on it, choose "Open With" and choose it from the list. Check the "Always use this program" box and it will be good until the next Janome update.

I've never been that impressed with Janome's PC software, but they seem to be hitting a new low now. Maybe they've got a bunch of rookies just back from Microsoft training, since they are using all the latest Microsoft tools like that stupid ribbon toolbar and this patch installer. Hopefully Wilcom won't go down that road with Digitizer!

Hope this helps, let me know if it doesn't,
Jim

On Jan 4, 2012, at 1:01 PM, Andrea LaVergne wrote:

Jim I have tried the various Microsoft items that are in my Program files and they will not open the Horizon Link Upgrade. I have nothing that says Microsoft Installer or as Vicki suggested Microsoft Explorer. Do you have any suggestions on possible programs? I did a search on appplications and on installers and tried everything that was under those two catagories.
Andrea

Andrea LaVergne

Jim, I owe you one (again)! Your solution worked for 3 different computers that I have had problems with in doing an update. I sent Terry A. your solution in case others are also having this problem. Thanks again.
Andrea