Horizon Link Suite v1.3 query

Anne Parker

Hi

I have a new laptop I want to install Horizon Link Suite v1.3 on.  It doesn't have a DVD drive like my old one.  Being in the UK I have a USB with the 1.3 update on.  Could someone tell me if this update is a full program install, or do I need to have a previous version of Horizon Link Suite, from my original CD installed first, before I can use it?

If I need a previous version installed, can I just do a copy of the the original CD - to a USB or to a portable Hard drive I have - and then install from there?

Unfortunately I can't currently find my Horizon Link Suite CD.  Is it possible to get hold of another?  I guess I will need to contact Janome UK if I need that.

Many thanks for any info.

Anne

Lyn Quine

Hi Anne, I didn’t have a CD/DVD drive for my new PC, I bought one under £30 it plugs into a USB socket on the laptop or PC.  Very useful,  I can watch videos etc now too.

If you don’t want the added expense you should be able to get it from Janome UK or ask a dealer.  Janome UK might send a link so you can download it.

On 18 Sep 2021, at 15:27, Anne Parker <dylanfawr@...> wrote:

Hi

I have a new laptop I want to install Horizon Link Suite v1.3 on.  It doesn't have a DVD drive like my old one.  Being in the UK I have a USB with the 1.3 update on.  Could someone tell me if this update is a full program install, or do I need to have a previous version of Horizon Link Suite, from my original CD installed first, before I can use it?

If I need a previous version installed, can I just do a copy of the the original CD - to a USB or to a portable Hard drive I have - and then install from there?

Unfortunately I can't currently find my Horizon Link Suite CD.  Is it possible to get hold of another?  I guess I will need to contact Janome UK if I need that.

Many thanks for any info.

Anne

Patricia Ward

Hi Anne, don’t know if any of the laptops come through with a cd/dvd drive anymore. It is a weight thing. My computer man sold me a small external that plugs into the USB port and that works just fine. It was not expensive and solves the problem.

Pat

On Sep 18, 2021, at 10:27 AM, Anne Parker <dylanfawr@...> wrote:

Hi

I have a new laptop I want to install Horizon Link Suite v1.3 on.  It doesn't have a DVD drive like my old one.  Being in the UK I have a USB with the 1.3 update on.  Could someone tell me if this update is a full program install, or do I need to have a previous version of Horizon Link Suite, from my original CD installed first, before I can use it?

If I need a previous version installed, can I just do a copy of the the original CD - to a USB or to a portable Hard drive I have - and then install from there?

Unfortunately I can't currently find my Horizon Link Suite CD.  Is it possible to get hold of another?  I guess I will need to contact Janome UK if I need that.

Many thanks for any info.

Anne

Kathy Skagen

Anne,
I was able to get the original Horizon Suite CD from my Janome dealer for about $8 in the US. I'm sure that your dealer can help you get one, too. He may also know of a way to get it on a USB drive. Unfortunately, I don't know the answers to your other questions but I hope it helps to know that if you can't find the original CD, all is not lost. I hate when problems arise on the weekend and you can't get the answer until Monday!
Kathy

On Saturday, September 18, 2021, 09:27:26 AM CDT, Anne Parker <dylanfawr@...> wrote:

Hi

I have a new laptop I want to install Horizon Link Suite v1.3 on.  It doesn't have a DVD drive like my old one.  Being in the UK I have a USB with the 1.3 update on.  Could someone tell me if this update is a full program install, or do I need to have a previous version of Horizon Link Suite, from my original CD installed first, before I can use it?

If I need a previous version installed, can I just do a copy of the the original CD - to a USB or to a portable Hard drive I have - and then install from there?

Unfortunately I can't currently find my Horizon Link Suite CD.  Is it possible to get hold of another?  I guess I will need to contact Janome UK if I need that.

Many thanks for any info.

Anne

Anne Parker

Many thanks for the replies.

As I can't find my original CD just buying a portable DVD drive won't solve my problem. In fact if I could find the CD I would just have used the DVDrewrite drive in my old laptop, or the one in my PC to copy to a USB or my portable harddrive.

I bought my machine directly from Janome here in the UK.  Buying direct they allocate your sale to a dealer you nominate, so I nominated my nearest one in Hampshire but I have now moved to Pembrokeshire around 200 miles away, and in any case because I hadn't bought the machine from the dealer in Hampshire,  they didn't get a full payment for selling a machine from Janome, they weren't that interested in anything to do with my machine.

I have sent a query to Janome UK but they are out of office until the 27th, so I expect I'll get a reply in a couple of weeks.

However in the meantime -  I thought I'd try installing the HorizonLinkSuite 1.3 update that was on the USB that came in the upgrade pack here in UK, on my new laptop and to my surprize it installed the full program - except for the HorizonLinkSuite folder contents that were in my documents folder on my old laptop (with all the designs, embroidery, created stitches etc). So far the actual program appears to work fine. Because I copied my whole documents folder from my old laptop to my portable hard drive I have access, on there, to the missing embroidery files anyway.

I still need to check out all the bits of the installation, and I want to go back and compare the installation on my old laptop with what I have on the new one, but fingers crossed it will be the same. :0)

So looks like I'm all set with Hatch, Digitizer and HorizonLinkSuite installed, and Licences for Hatch and Digitizer transferred and access to the HorizonLinkSuite Designs.  I'm a happy bunny!

Anne
www.sewingtales.wordpress.com

"
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here. Desiderata - By Max Ehrmann © 1927

Cheryl Paul

Hi Anne,

I don’t think you would hurt anything if you installed the V1.31 from the USB you have. If it isn’t the whole program, it just won’t work. Are you far from your dealer? I know you are in the UK - Wales I believe. I’ve never been to the UK, so I’m not familiar with where anything is - I know the country isn’t big like Canada where everything is far away IF you don’t happen to live in close proximity to a city. If you can call or email your dealer and see if they would lend you a copy of the DVD to copy onto your computer IF the upgrade one doesn’t work. They might even just put the info on a USB (you’d probably need to pay for that at least the USB) and send it to you. You might even be able to get them to have Janome send you a link. It is really to bad that we can’t have access to the company and that each country or region has to do things so differently.

Cheryl - Saskatoon

Kathy Skagen

That's wonderful news, Anne! Thank you for the update. I that find trying to get everything for an older computer to a new one is so stressful! You have to know what you're doing and where to look. So, you're way ahead of me in that department. Anyway, I'm so glad that you are up and running on the new computer.
Kathy

On Sunday, September 19, 2021, 07:34:20 AM CDT, Anne Parker <dylanfawr@...> wrote:

[...]

favymtz

Hey Anne, Great news on your Horizon Link experience!
Now the best thing we've all learned is that the 1.3 link is a basically fully functioning program!
(File that in our memories to help others in the future!!!)
Keep us updated on how the program functions. It seems to me that there may be some little differences since it didn't install the HLS folder.
I say that because I installed my HLS on the D drive instead of the default of C drive on my computer. That means that when I want to use designs, stitches etc when working in HLS Embroidery Edit or Stitch Composer, I have to go hunting for them. In other words, HL wants to open files from C drive as the normal "go to" place. Since mine aren't there, I have to navigate there.
Hope that makes sense!
--
Favymtz

Cheryl Paul

I’m a bit confused - what do you mean by the HLS folder? If it is designs that are saved that we create, they go into a folder that we might create to be with our other embroidery documents - not the default that HLS decides. I do this all the time and it usually ends up getting me in trouble, because then my program default to “MY choice” not HLS’s choice. Problem is: Where in heaven’s name it “that” folder? - So then I’m on the hunt. Well it has happened often enough that I now know where to go, and how to get there. It’s in “heaven”, of course which must be the “C” drive where the program is stored, in the “Files (86) folder, under Janome, then HLS and maybe even a few deeper than that - one just has to “peck” until you reach it. This is sometime very painful to navigate until you find something, especially if one has let some time lapse between using a program.

I know that this is an embroidery group mostly, but I just have to share that I just purchased the new Cover Pro 3000 Professional and my dealer’s technician delivered it to me in the city last Saturday. I waited until Ava (16) and Piper (10), my 2 sewing granddaughters could come to the “unboxing” late that afternoon. We took it out, and gave it a little test drive - then I read the manual over the next 2 evenings, until dark, and my eyes crossed or I fell asleep. I did go back to the sewing room and try out the newest feature - the “Top Cover” and it is awesome. With this stitch, the bottom and the top look very similar and it is quite decorative, where you can use nice threads that are a bit thicker to add some “wow” to almost anything. The girls will probably like this more that their 76 yr old Grandma.

Cheryl - Saskatoon

June E Hudspeth

Hi Cheryl:

Is the manual good??????????????? Meaning does it give you a lot of info?

I so wish the sergers would have a workbook available, like the 15000.

Thanks Cheryl!!!!!!!!!!!!!

June - Sacramento

[...]

I would also like to know the best way to save we create in HLS.

And, Cheryl,
The girls will probably like this more that their 76 yr old Grandma. I'd say, Not a chance! You have spent a lot of time opening their world with love. Congratulations on the new Cover Pro!!

Kathy

On Tuesday, September 21, 2021, 12:35:44 PM CDT, Cheryl Paul <capaul@...> wrote:

[...]

Horizon Link Suite:
To answer Kathy's question, she wished she knew "the best way to save what we create in HLS."
This may be a roundabout way of explaining what I think is the best way, but if it's relevant to whomever is reading this, I hope you can follow!

When Horizon Link Suite is installed it wants to install by default into the C drive.
Therefore the main installation files will reside in C Drive: (this path shows Horizon Link for the 12000 machine)

Within the folder are the subfolders which contain the built in embroidery designs and other operating files.
(I don't want to confuse you, but my current computer has it's main storage on the D drive NOT the C drive. And because of that my HLS is installed in D, not C.
And because of that, my HLS doesn't operate like most; my HLS Edit Embroidery is unable to open the "Design" folder directly when I click on it. (Instead it's just one of several places that I can choose)

When the user would like to access the files more frequently and easier, it's possible to also copy those files into a folder that's more easily gotten to.
So because of that, I created my new Horizon Link Suite folder in D also.
(Depending on your system you will need to decide which is best for you.
If your computer has plenty of storage space in C then make your Horizon Link Suite folder in C).
In the "Horizon Link Suite" folder I copied all of the built in designs and stx files.
This is my working folder for HLS. When I'm working in Stitch Composer for example, after I have created & tested a stitch, I will save the new stitch in this working folder, NOT the HLS in Program Files.
There are mainly two reasons why I did this:
1) To be able to access the file system more easily when I'm doing various editing or designing tasks in the program. (example AcuStitch program can use my created stitches)
2) So that the original files will remain pristine. In my folder I can add to, change names of, etc. without changing the originals.
I digitize, and frequently discover that I can improve a design and so I do. In this case after I fix the design I rename it using my initials and save it in the same Working folder.
This design is one that  I modified and saved both the object file (I digitized the entire design to correct it!) and a Stitch file JEF.

If you just want to be able to access the built in designs to use easily in another program, maybe another brand of software, not HLS, and you aren't going to be altering them, you can also train the computer to get to them easily by adding the folder to a Library.
To set this up:
Just navigate to the folder, right click on it, Include in Library, and choose the Library that you want:
 I hope this picture shows clearly

When working in HLS, and you are in the Editing Embroidery section, the program wants to open the design directly from the C drive, Program Files....etc.
But obviously you can always navigate to wherever in your own computer you have other JEF designs.

Where to save the things you're working on:
According to my system I save all my stx files in my HLS working folder, NOT in the Program File.
Embroidery designs: If I corrected a built in design I save it in the Working folder, not in the Program File.
My main Embroidery folder lives in D drive, Documents, *(my name)Embroidery

So, to sum up; my system may be slightly different from how most computers are because of the way I use my computer, HLS, other software programs.
But basically I have a new HLS folder that I can easily access, and is a copy of HL files, with my additions to it.
I'll try to answer further questions if you have any if I've confused anyone!
--
Favymtz

Cheryl Paul

Yes the manual is good. AND they put the Englis and French (Canada) in separate books. The diagrams are very detailed. The serger is brand new so I don’t expect to see a workbook for a while. Some Janome Educatir needs to work with the machine to. E able to know what we need to learn. They don’t get much of a “heads up” before Janome releases new machine.

Cheryl - Saskatoon

June E Hudspeth

Thank you so much; I have save this for future reference.

Super, super and even more super.

Thanks!

June/Sacramento

[...]

Appreciate it. Thinking I may need to turn mine in for a new model.

I currently have the 1200D.

June/Sacramento