HLS problems

favymtz

Starting a new topic.
We've been discussing the problem that the Layout feature of HLS doesn't print the picture of the embroidery design on all the pieces of paper.
In addition to this, some of my students have the aggravation of the program getting hung up when trying to open designs.
For example, Editing Embroidery is open and the hoop is selected. Going to the Design tab to open a design and the program does a "Not Responding" thing.
Sometimes for several minutes.
I sometimes have the problem but only rarely, my students have it constantly. In fact they rejoice when it doesn't happen!
I have also reported this to Janome Support and have had conversations about it with them where they've asked me for Computer information on operating systems etc. on the computers with the problem, which I have submitted to them.
So far no fix has been forthcoming, and I don't like to be a complainer, but I feel that the programs should work seamlessly.
Does anyone else have this problem? I think that if we as individuals, were to continue to ask the techs for help they might report it as a typical problem and we'd get some help.
Thanks!
--
Favymtz

Pixey

I admit that I have not used HLS enough to have encountered these specific problems, but I have generally found it to be clunky and not very intuitive.  My prior gripe with it was that when I did print out designs, it would not print out any information on the individual color steps (sometimes called color ways).  This is why I have often turned to other programs than HLS.

Regarding the idea of complaints getting attention, I really get the sense that Janome is a company that only invests resources into its current or next product.  And really has no interest in fixing bugs and provides only minimal user support. The fact that it totally discontinues machines and abandons software packages when a successor comes out tells me that their business model is not interested in long term product support. Look at how it did with older MBX versions.  It would not be that hard to add the S9, 500e, or 550e hoops to older versions (such as 4.5) with an update.  But once they come out with the later versions those who did not upgrade were left trying to create their own workarounds for later machines.

Finally, I do wonder how much longer the 15000 will be their TOL machine.  This is TOTAL SPECULATION, but it seems to me that the 15000 line is old enough that they would already be working on designing its replacement (assuming they are going to stay with a TOL all-in-one design)...which seems to be a question in my mind after the M7/550e split launch.  This may also be why they are not interested in trying to fix HLS bugs.

My thoughts from having worked in the for-profit engineering corporate world in a prior career.

Pixey

On Mar 17, 2021, at 8:51 AM, favymtz <favymtz@...> wrote:

Starting a new topic.
We've been discussing the problem that the Layout feature of HLS doesn't print the picture of the embroidery design on all the pieces of paper.
In addition to this, some of my students have the aggravation of the program getting hung up when trying to open designs.
For example, Editing Embroidery is open and the hoop is selected. Going to the Design tab to open a design and the program does a "Not Responding" thing.
Sometimes for several minutes.
I sometimes have the problem but only rarely, my students have it constantly. In fact they rejoice when it doesn't happen!
I have also reported this to Janome Support and have had conversations about it with them where they've asked me for Computer information on operating systems etc. on the computers with the problem, which I have submitted to them.
So far no fix has been forthcoming, and I don't like to be a complainer, but I feel that the programs should work seamlessly.
Does anyone else have this problem? I think that if we as individuals, were to continue to ask the techs for help they might report it as a typical problem and we'd get some help.
Thanks!
--
Favymtz

favymtz

I have heard wild speculation about a new top of line machine, and then an "almost" verified source said yes, something is being released at Janome Institute this year.
We'll wait and see!
Re your comments about product support, I feel you're right on there. And once when I inquired about why HLS didn't have a better layout mode like the old Customizer program was told,
"Because the company wants people to invest in MBX for those features." !!!
But Truly, the old Customizer did a better Layout than MBX, and easier to use!
--
Favymtz

Cheryl Alm

I agree Favymtz.  I use to teach for a Janome dealer.  I detested HLS.   I helped our sales people sell Digitizer Jr. as an alternative as did have more flexibility and easier to use.  I'm sure Janome is not the only company that employs this type of product development.  I've abandoned Janome software altogether and gone with Wilcom's Hatch.

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

From: onlinesewing-janome@groups.io <onlinesewing-janome@groups.io> on behalf of favymtz <favymtz@...>
Sent: Thursday, March 18, 2021 8:37:32 AM
To: onlinesewing-janome@groups.io <onlinesewing-janome@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [onlinesewing-janome] HLS problems

I have heard wild speculation about a new top of line machine, and then an "almost" verified source said yes, something is being released at Janome Institute this year.
We'll wait and see!
Re your comments about product support, I feel you're right on there. And once when I inquired about why HLS didn't have a better layout mode like the old Customizer program was told,
"Because the company wants people to invest in MBX for those features." !!!
But Truly, the old Customizer did a better Layout than MBX, and easier to use!
--
Favymtz

favymtz

I actually really like HLS, I've worked with it a lot and have always appreciated some of it's tools, especially Stitch Composer and the ability to use the Border & Normal sew stitches in designs.
Putting up with it's little quirks is sometimes worthwhile.
Another great little piece of software is the AcuStitch program! Have you purchased it and enjoy using it, anyone?
I too use Hatch but I still sometimes use v5 when doing some digitizing, both programs are great. 

--
Favymtz

Cheryl Alm

I have not purchased AcuStitch as I assume it relies on WiFi to send the design, my internet service and WiFi are metered so I don't use it for transferring designs.

From: onlinesewing-janome@groups.io <onlinesewing-janome@groups.io> on behalf of favymtz <favymtz@...>
Sent: Friday, March 19, 2021 7:38:56 AM
To: onlinesewing-janome@groups.io <onlinesewing-janome@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [onlinesewing-janome] HLS problems

I actually really like HLS, I've worked with it a lot and have always appreciated some of it's tools, especially Stitch Composer and the ability to use the Border & Normal sew stitches in designs.
Putting up with it's little quirks is sometimes worthwhile.
Another great little piece of software is the AcuStitch program! Have you purchased it and enjoy using it, anyone?
I too use Hatch but I still sometimes use v5 when doing some digitizing, both programs are great. 

--
Favymtz

Kaye Lessard

I have been a janome user since the mc9000 machine and started with the scan & sew software
Then went to digitizer 10000!!
Now have the 15000 and mbx5.5!
I have been going back & forth with janome tech since last Friday trying to fix an issue with mbx 5.5
The latest windows update did not install and it caused some issues!!
But they got me up & running again!
Even though their is still an issue with the file extension !! But we think it is more because of these updates !
They have always so far been very helpful!!
Software & computers changes and you get to a point where you have decide what works best for what you do!!!
Because of some eye health & internet issues I encouraged one lady not to upgrade from 4.5 to 5.5
Only because it would have been hard with the eye issue!!
Also mbx 4.5 definitely has the hoops for the 500e!!!
I wish they had stayed with janome digizter !
But they don’t always listened to us consumers!!!
But that is in all sewing machine companies!!!
Just my opinion!!