Hard Drive crashed on IMac - PC?

Caroline Wright

My hard drive had to be replaced on my Imac where I have been using Parallels with Windows to run my Digitizing Software.  Having difficulty understanding how to get it all back up and running and thinking about just buying an inexpensive PC for my sewing projects.  Any thoughts?  Thanks.

Lyn Quine

I considered buying a Mac but I would have had to put parallels and windows on it, but I bought a 27” Acer and added lots of memory so that I could run my a Janome software, and it’s so much better and I probably saved around £1K by doing that.  Personally I don’t like MACs husband, and daughters use them, but I have used windows for so many years, (not keen on windows either) but I know my way round it so was easier for me.  Eldest daughter has an older MacBook Pro but once partitioned and w8ndows and software added it was so slow to get started, that she would turn the laptop on before breakfast, then go into parallels and go off and do other things and then it might be ready, so she bought a cheaper windows laptop with 8GB memory and just has it for sewing and embroidery so much better, she’s got her MacBook Pro back to what it was and has the best of both worlds now.

Teresa Stanulis

Caroline,

After fighting with Digitizer and updated Macs for years, I finally broke down and bought a Dell computer and purchased Hatch by Wilcom for Digitizing.  Jim can tell you more about this as he uses Hatch.  There’s more of a learning curve coming from Digitizer than I expected, but I like it I really like not fighting Digitizer and it’s dongle anymore!

Teresa Stanulis

On Nov 1, 2020, at 10:20 AM, Caroline Wright via groups.io <cjwright959@...> wrote:

My hard drive had to be replaced on my Imac where I have been using Parallels with Windows to run my Digitizing Software.  Having difficulty understanding how to get it all back up and running and thinking about just buying an inexpensive PC for my sewing projects.  Any thoughts?  Thanks.

Caroline Wright

Thank you.  I am still struggling with what to do.  When the iMac works there is no problem but buying  a new one or a hard drive crash just make me crazy.

On Nov 1, 2020, at 12:25 PM, Teresa Stanulis via groups.io <tstanulis@...> wrote:

Caroline,

After fighting with Digitizer and updated Macs for years, I finally broke down and bought a Dell computer and purchased Hatch by Wilcom for Digitizing.  Jim can tell you more about this as he uses Hatch.  There’s more of a learning curve coming from Digitizer than I expected, but I like it I really like not fighting Digitizer and it’s dongle anymore!

Teresa Stanulis

On Nov 1, 2020, at 10:20 AM, Caroline Wright via groups.io <cjwright959@...> wrote:

My hard drive had to be replaced on my Imac where I have been using Parallels with Windows to run my Digitizing Software.  Having difficulty understanding how to get it all back up and running and thinking about just buying an inexpensive PC for my sewing projects.  Any thoughts?  Thanks.

Nyssa Lanzafame

I have a separate windows PC laptop
For my sewing room. I use my little Mac air to do email browse etc. it excels in that light work and integrates nicely with watch and phone etc.  if I’m on the Mac and find a design I want for sewing I can save to one drive or google drive. Or I can email it to myself. Or save it to a folder and bring over on usb drive if there’s a bunch at once.