Hand look stitch

Carole O'Mara

I will be quilting using the hand look stitch on the 15000, top, backing and 80/20 batting.  Instead of using monofilament in the top I'm wondering if I can use Invisiline 100 wt in the top with 50wt in the bobbin.  I've used monofilament in the past for the same purpose but do not like working with monofilament.  Has anyone used the 100wt top and 50 wt bobbin?

Thanks,
Carole

Cheryl Alm

I have not used it for the hand look stitch, but I’ve used that thread combo for machine appliqué.  I use a Microtex size 60 or 70.  I’m not a fan of even the best brands of monofilament.
Cheryl

On Nov 4, 2020, at 9:58 PM, Carole O'Mara <caroleinco@...> wrote:

I will be quilting using the hand look stitch on the 15000, top, backing and 80/20 batting.  Instead of using monofilament in the top I'm wondering if I can use Invisiline 100 wt in the top with 50wt in the bobbin.  I've used monofilament in the past for the same purpose but do not like working with monofilament.  Has anyone used the 100wt top and 50 wt bobbin?

Thanks,
Carole

Anne Parker

I haven't used the stitches like that, but I have tried them with two different coloured threads - black in top and red in bottom (I think).  I thought it looked great and still hand stitched but with two different colours.

I haven't actually used them for a project, but it is on my list to use - somewhere where I might use a normal decorative stitch!

Anne
www.sewingtales.wordpress.com

"
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here. Desiderata - By Max Ehrmann © 1927

Tracy

Carole-

Yes, your plan should work.  I've used 100wt Invisifil on several machines when quilting.  It disappears so you don't have to change thread all the time to match colors of your fabric which is totally awesome in my book.  You'll still want to use an 80/12 needle due to the layers altho with the weight of the thread you could use a thinner/smaller one otherwise.

Have fun!

Tracy in Nashville, TN

Martha Pullen Licensed Educator

Carole O'Mara

I asked at my local quilt shop and they advised not to use the 100wt if the quilt is to be ironed after washing as the thread is very fine and will melt.  This is a double bed sized quilt and it is for my granddaughter.  It will probably need washing at some point and possibly need ironing.  Could a low setting on the iron (silk or wool) and a light pressure be enough to keep from melting the 100wt?

Thanks,
Carole

On Nov 5, 2020, at 8:21 PM, Tracy <TJOriginals@...> wrote:

Carole-

Yes, your plan should work.  I've used 100wt Invisifil on several machines when quilting.  It disappears so you don't have to change thread all the time to match colors of your fabric which is totally awesome in my book.  You'll still want to use an 80/12 needle due to the layers altho with the weight of the thread you could use a thinner/smaller one otherwise.

Have fun!

Tracy in Nashville, TN

Martha Pullen Licensed Educator

Donna Morton

I doubt that the invisifil thread will melt under a type home iron. Polyester is heat resistant. Perhaps the quilt shop was thinking about nylon thread which will melt at a much lower temperature.

DonnaM
Canada
Http://www.snipandstitch.com

Ceil J

I have used 100wt from both Superior Threads (Microquilter) and Invisifil.  Using them for quilting designs and stitch in the ditch has been wonderful.  I have ironed them with no issues.  Ceil

Tracy

Carole-

I've used 100wt thread on many quilts that have been washed and dried and ironed.  Never has the thread been an issue.  I don't use the highest heat on my iron any longer since I've got wool pressing surfaces and also use Best Press which can scorch your fabrics if your iron is too hot.  But I love the smell of my Best Press so I just turn my iron down to a med-hot temp and all is well.  But again - 100wt thread is not an issue for what I've made.  I use the Wonderfil (Invisifil) brand.