locked Groups.io update

Jim Stutsman

In a couple of days Groups.io, who hosts this list, will be changing their pricing structure to a fee-based system, billed to the list owner on a per-member basis. This group is currently classified as Premium, which I pay for annually. It's not a huge amount, and I don't mind paying it. However there are a lot of groups on this service, and the people who run it are facing ever-increasing expenses. So on February 2nd (2 days from now) they are moving to a per-member pricing structure. Fortunately they are NOT increasing the price for this group, unless we were to upgrade it to another tier. However if it should later become necessary for them to put us on the new pricing schedule, the expense would be nearly $1,000 per year. That's a bit more than our tiny organization can handle. So for the moment, we don't need to do anything, but I like to plan ahead so I will be looking at other options. Facebook is, of course, completely free, if you count surrendering all the details of your life to Mark Zuckerberg to sell to the highest bidder. As you know, I'm not a fan and I would not throw the members of this group under that bus. So much has changed in the past year that we never saw coming, and there's no way to know what lurks around the next corner. I'm only mentioning this to solicit ideas from you members as to what might work should we have to move the list. There's no need to panic, nothing is happening right now. I'm just trying to be prepared for whatever may come.

Lyn Quine

Not sure if it’s still the same but I ran a forum on Proboards it was free to all we just had to have adverts.  We only folded through lack of interest.  There was limited storage for photos.  Not sure if that would be the same now or of interest to you and other members.

Barbara Gallentine

You do whatever is necessary to continue this group.  That could even  mean charging each member a small amount.  So many questions asked and answered. I would hope this group can continue in whatever form.

On Sunday, January 31, 2021, 04:03:35 PM MST, Jim Stutsman via groups.io <onlinesewing@...> wrote:

[...]

Ceil J

What about MeWe?  I joined when I thought a lot of groups were moving there but seldom go there now. I would use it if the group were there.  It's more like Facebook than this group.

Shirley Allen

I too would hope that this group would continue in any manner you see fit.  It has been a priceless source for me for many years. And I would be completely lost without it.  I always read every entree even if it does not relate to me, but other the years I have learned many things because of it.  Whatever you decide to do will be OK as you have always been fair in your generous help to us, so I wish you well & hope you keep us all together in any way you see fit.  Thanks for all you do & Diane too.  Shirley from snowy NJ

Cindy

I would pay for the honor to b a member

Cindy Swenson 218-838-4090

On Sunday, January 31, 2021, 05:36:39 PM CST, Barbara Gallentine via groups.io <bjgallent@...> wrote:

[...]

Suzanne Martin

I like getting the emails vs having to log into a website.

Thank you!
Suzanne Martin, GRI
Associate Broker
Charles Rutenberg Realty Orlando
407-234-6906
suzmar45@...

What about MeWe?  I joined when I thought a lot of groups were moving there but seldom go there now. I would use it if the group were there.  It's more like Facebook than this group.

Lucy Akers

I would also be willing to pay to keep you, Jim! Whatever you decide. We don't want to lose you and Diane and all you know and share with us.

Chris House

yes wonderful to have such super experts willing to answer questions. A fee would be easy to swallow, considering the original price we paid for these machines.
C. House

On Sunday, January 31, 2021, 04:03:35 PM MST, Jim Stutsman via groups.io <onlinesewing=icloud.com@groups.io> wrote:

[...]

Andrea LaVergne

I would pay a fee without question, this group is better than the dealers I have around here.
Andrea

Charlene Kay Bergren

Hi Jim – I for one, am willing to do whatever it takes to keep your (our) group going.  Your knowledge has been so very, very helpful to me on so many occasions.  If it requires a subscription, then so be it.  I’m in – whatever decision you feel is best.  I agree about Facebook – I’d hate to think we will end up there – but do whatever works!

Kay Bergren

Mary Jo Hirsch

You are worth your wt in gold. I’m willing to help pay for your knowledge.  Thank you both.

--
null

Helen Aarness

Agreed. There is no way I could figure this machine out by myself! Just yesterday I fixed my threader from Jim’s instructions!

On Jan 31, 2021, at 6:39 PM, Mary Jo Hirsch <mjhshmoo@...> wrote:

You are worth your wt in gold. I’m willing to help pay for your knowledge.  Thank you both.

On Sun, Jan 31, 2021 at 7:01 PM Lucy Akers <akerslucy@...> wrote:
I would also be willing to pay to keep you, Jim! Whatever you decide. We don't want to lose you and Diane and all you know and share with us.

--
null

Jim Stutsman

Not to worry everyone! Nothing has happened to jeopardize the list, and I don't expect it to happen any time soon. Thanks everyone for your support and ideas. I'm going to lock the topic now so we can get on with having fun and solving problems. Cheers!