Sent: Sunday, October 30, 2011 4:41 PM
Subject: [janome12000] Free motion quilting feet - help!

Tonight I decided to have a play with the Free Motion Quilting feet and the Quilting programme however I wasn't entirely happy with the way the feet attached to the machine. Maybe I was doing something wrong but for example the large round one (QV? sorry I'm away from the machine at the moment) pointed up towards me at the front and the back was down so low it wouldn't allow the fabric to move. When I've used a similar style foot on a different make of machine it lay flat onto the fabric and floated on top of the quilt sandwich. I went into the settings and raised it as high as I could and then it worked - but was that the right thing to do? I was using 2 layers of quilting cotton and a piece of thin batting.
Vicki

Jim_Stutsman <jim@...>

Diane encountered the same thing the first time she tried free motion. The solution is to let the machine do all the work. After attaching the foot, as Donna has explained, go to the Application screen (the key that looks like a T-shirt). Select Quilting, then Free Quilting. Choose one of the Q feet. The machine will then automatically set the presser foot height for you. As you go into the thicker areas it seems to auto-sense and adjust the height as you sew. Yet another reason this machine is so amazing!

--- In janome12000@yahoogroups.com, "stitchnpatch" <stitchnpatch@...> wrote:

Tonight I decided to have a play with the Free Motion Quilting feet and the Quilting programme however I wasn't entirely happy with the way the feet attached to the machine. Maybe I was doing something wrong but for example the large round one (QV? sorry I'm away from the machine at the moment) pointed up towards me at the front and the back was down so low it wouldn't allow the fabric to move. When I've used a similar style foot on a different make of machine it lay flat onto the fabric and floated on top of the quilt sandwich. I went into the settings and raised it as high as I could and then it worked - but was that the right thing to do? I was using 2 layers of quilting cotton and a piece of thin batting.
Vicki

joylaytor

Yes, you do have to make sure the free-motion feet are attached correctly. Unlike most other feet, there are two bars for each of the 3 plastic feet. Make sure to put the rear bar on first and then the front one. This will make the feet level instead of stick up. Then use the Free Quilting option on the quilt screen as Jim has mentioned. If necessary, you can adjust the height of the feet in the Set menu under Ordinary Sewing, FMQ Foot Height (3rd page). So far I have found that the feet adjust well on their own.
Joy