Topics

formating a usb

Joyce Daniel

Use to, I could pop my usb into my 12000 and the correct folder for designs would just “show up”. For some reason this is no longer happening so I can not load designs into it to embroider. Is there something I need to “do” to get this folder again?

Thanks!! Joyce in GA

If my people, which are called by

My Name, shall humble themselves,

and pray, and seek My Face, and turn

from their wicked ways, then will I hear

from heaven, and will forgive their sin,

and will heal their land.

2 Chronicles 7:14

Jim Stutsman

USB flash drives are not forever. There is a chemical process used to store the data, and each cell has a “life” of 100,000 - 200,000 write operations before it quits working. The drives are designed to spread the use over all the cells to maximize the usable life, but when it hits the limit it’s like an expired battery. Try a different flash drive, preferably a new one. If it also fails you may have a machine issue, but it’s far more likely to be the drive.

Pixey

Joyce,

You may need to navigate to the USB drive.  Click on the little folder at the bottom of the screen.  Then select the USB symbol to see the files and folders on the USB.  From there you should be able to navigate to a specific design.  Keep in mind that the designs display in order of hoop preference so larger designs will be on subsequent screens after smaller designs.

Pixey

On Dec 5, 2020, at 5:34 PM, Joyce Daniel <mdaniel@...> wrote:

Use to, I could pop my usb into my 12000 and the correct folder for designs would just “show up”. For some reason this is no longer happening so I can not load designs into it to embroider. Is there something I need to “do” to get this folder again?

Thanks!! Joyce in GA

If my people, which are called by

My Name, shall humble themselves,

and pray, and seek My Face, and turn

from their wicked ways, then will I hear

from heaven, and will forgive their sin,

and will heal their land.

2 Chronicles 7:14

bhoryn

Do all Janome machines use this method on the USB?    I’ve always wondered why my designs end up where they do on the USB

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad

On Monday, December 7, 2020, 6:14 AM, Pixey via groups.io <pixeyam@...> wrote:

Joyce,

You may need to navigate to the USB drive.  Click on the little folder at the bottom of the screen.  Then select the USB symbol to see the files and folders on the USB.  From there you should be able to navigate to a specific design.  Keep in mind that the designs display in order of hoop preference so larger designs will be on subsequent screens after smaller designs.

Pixey

Jim Stutsman

The use of USB flash drives started with the 11000. Each machine has a slightly different structure, but the 12000 and 15000 share the same scheme. It creates top level folders EMB and ORD on the flash drive. Inside EMB it creates EmbF. When the drive is inserted in the machine the EmbF folder is opened by default. You can use the arrows to navigate to other folders. There are two main rules:
1. Every design MUST be inside a folder.
2. The folder from step 1 MUST be inside EMB

For best results it's best of the USB drive has a capacity of 2GB or less.

Pixey

I now understand why I was having trouble last year explaining to my quilt store Embroidery Club leader where to put the files so my S9 could find them.  I think there have been some slight changes at some point.

I am not sure why, but none of my machines (S9, 500e, or 15000 V2 upgraded to V3) automatically open to the EmbF folder when I plug in the USB anymore.  I get a little spinner showing it is recognizing the USB is there, but it doesn’t actually go to it.  Also, while the machine Is happy with you having individual designs in the EmbF folder, it also allows you to have additional folders at the same level path level EmbF and place designs in these folders as well.   Grouping designs in folders within EmbF and individual stitch files under the EMB path does not work.

Pixey

On Dec 7, 2020, at 7:34 AM, Jim Stutsman via groups.io <onlinesewing@...> wrote:

The use of USB flash drives started with the 11000. Each machine has a slightly different structure, but the 12000 and 15000 share the same scheme. It creates top level folders EMB and ORD on the flash drive. Inside EMB it creates EmbF. When the drive is inserted in the machine the EmbF folder is opened by default. You can use the arrows to navigate to other folders. There are two main rules:
1. Every design MUST be inside a folder.
2. The folder from step 1 MUST be inside EMB

For best results it's best of the USB drive has a capacity of 2GB or less.

Jim Stutsman

That's normal. ALL designs MUST be in a folder, which is itself inside the EMB folder. A design folder may contain ONLY designs, not other folders. It's a frustrating system, because it works like Windows almostbut not quite! Most classes just tell everyone to put designs in the EmbF folder for simplicity, but it's perfectly acceptable to have other folders as long as they reside in EMB. I don't have an S9 or 500e, so I don't know how those machines structure a USB drive.

Pixey

Actually the 500e and the S9 do the embroidery file structure exactly like the 15000, except the 500e does not create a parallel ORD folder on the USB like the 15000 and S9 do.

I can actually use the USB dives interchangeably between the 3 machines.

Pixey

On Dec 7, 2020, at 10:27 AM, Jim Stutsman via groups.io <onlinesewing@...> wrote:

That's normal. ALL designs MUST be in a folder, which is itself inside the EMB folder. A design folder may contain ONLY designs, not other folders. It's a frustrating system, because it works like Windows almostbut not quite! Most classes just tell everyone to put designs in the EmbF folder for simplicity, but it's perfectly acceptable to have other folders as long as they reside in EMB. I don't have an S9 or 500e, so I don't know how those machines structure a USB drive.

Joyce Daniel

I use to be able to interchange too if the design was in a different folder but for some reason this usb will no longer "do" that for me. Seems she no longer wants to play on my 12000. She's been a good usb over the years. :)
Joyce in brrrrr GA