Foot Book App and Quilt in the Hoop App

Shirley F

I am relatively new to this group and have appreciated the wisdom of the members.  I have a new to me MC15000, am creating a stitch book and trying to learn all that my machine can do.  I have searched on this site to see if this has been covered already but couldn’t find what I was looking for.

1.). I just discovered the Foot Book app but noticed the copyright has ended and am wondering before I purchase it, has it been updated to include recent feet like the newest ruler foot?  How often do updates happen.

2.) I came across a short video that suggested that there was a Quilt in the Hoop app.  When I looked in the App Store it said it was not available in my country (I’m in Canada).  What countries is it available in and is it useful?

 Thank you.

Shirley

Jim Stutsman

Welcome to the group Shirley, we're glad to have you. As the author of the apps in your question, I am equipped to explain. But I must warn you it will be long!

1. The copyright on FootBook hasn't actually ended, it's just a few years old. It only applies to the app itself, not the content, and under copyright law extends to my life and some number of years. It's also kind of meaningless. At the moment there are two different companies producing apps for Janome machines: Janome, and myself. FootBook, which will turn 11 in August, was designed so the data could be updated without the need for a new app. We've added several feet and accessories as Janome releases them. Unfortunately this takes some time, because we need to first get the new foot, make photos, and in most cases video. As two retired people, we produce these things as quickly as we can, but that's rarely as quickly as people would like.

2. Quilt in the Hoop was an app with limited appeal, and peaked fairly quickly. Although the App Store has unlimited shelf space, in theory, Apple purges it from time to time. In one of those purges we were told that we must update the app, or it would be removed from the store due to lack of sales. At the time I was heavy into the development of ThreadBook, which took the best part of a year to create. I didn't see anything I could add, so I continued with ThreadBook and let Apple remove it. Existing users can continue to use it, even though it's not in the store.

The app the might do you the most good would probably be My 15000. It's a collection of videos made on a 15000, and is quite detailed in covering the features of the machine. You can see a 30 second video on it here.

The aforementioned ThreadBook app is currently being rewritten from the ground up. Every few years Apple comes up with a revolutionary new method for creating apps. I started in 2011, and spent a few years becoming proficient in their development tools for iOS. Several years later they released a completely new language tool. Again it took a few years to master it, and I used it in the initial development of ThreadBook. And once again they came out with a new tool to build on that, again with a big learning curve. I'm using that tool to create ThreadBook 2. It allows apps to be created faster, but the learning curve has cancelled that advantage, so it's still been slow going. Because it is new, it's still a bit rough, and a lot of things that should work, just don't. This has put me a couple of months behind, but I'm nearing the end and will be requesting beta testers soon. Existing ThreadBook users will get version 2 as a free upgrade.

There are a lot of 15000 owners here, and you'll find plenty of help on just about any subject related to that machine. Once again welcome, and please let us know if you need any help.

Cheryl Paul

Good Morning Shirley,

I have a 15000 and love it. I purchased the My15000 App as soon as Jim and Diane released it and have found it to be the most useful of ALL my Apps. Diane is a wonderful presenter and has such a nice way to demonstrate all the features of the 15000. I have watched each and every video more than once and those that I really like, but don’t use often, I watch over and over; ie: the binding attachment, the rolled hem foot, etc. Her explanations are so good and I can get things to work, where as I really struggled previously. My last 10-15 years of well over 50 years of sewing have been made so much easier. THANKS DIANE!

The Footbook App is also very good, but if it isn’t available anymore, get the My 15000 App as all the feet, those included in the box and all the optional ones, are explained there along with other useful tips and tricks for sewing and quilting methods. All of Jim’s App’s are worth their weight in gold.

Cheryl - Saskatoon

Shirley F

Thank you, Jim for this very helpful reply.  I am not an app developer but get frustrated as a user when apps stop working or are removed from the App Store.  I appreciate the detailed explanation from the other side.  How frustrating and time consuming that sounds!  So thank you for all of the behind the scenes work!

I do log into this site most days and have found the threads to be very helpful in my learning journey.  Thanks too, Jim for all of your input on this page.  Having an expert as part of any group enriches the experience.

Shirley F

Thank you for your reply, Cheryl.  I appreciate your experience and wisdom about your machine from this and your other posts.

I am also in Saskatoon!  Perhaps we’ll cross paths in person sometime at a sewing event if things ever get back to normal!

Shirley

Cheryl Paul

Shirley,
Do you ever go to “The Sewing Machine Store” on Quebec Ave? I bought my 12000 and later my 15000 from Kathy, and so much more. I would love to meet you. My email address shows at the top of this page, but I’m not sure that you can see it. I won’t share it here, but perhaps we can find a way so that we can communicate in a more personal way, if you would like.

Have fun with your App’s. I sure do.

Cheryl - Saskatoon

Deborah Holzli

Hi Cheryl and Shirley,

I have also visited that store whenever I visit my mom. Nice store

Deborah