Topics

Folders vs Artistic Digitiizer

Janet Wallis

I have a new laptop (Grrr)  and my digitizer Jr was copied from older computer.  It is an older one and no longer supported by Janome. I tried updating that and the dongle but finally decided to uninstall the entire program.  However when I download a design, instead of putting into folders as before it says artistic design.  I am so frustrated.  Hope this is clear.  No longer does it say JEF  it says artistic digitizer 1.0 emb.  I thought I had uninstalled all of the digitizer?  Any ideas?  (I loved it)

Jim Stutsman

Apparently you installed some form of Artistic software after installing Digitizer Jr. Whatever program was installed last is what Windows uses to assign icons, and also is the default program to open those files. Here's a possibly easy (well, it is Windows, so we can hope!) way to fix it:

1. Find a JEF file and right click on it.
2. Choose "Open with".
3. In the "Open With" dialog find Digitizer Jr, but don't click on it yet.
4. Check the box that says "Always use this program..." near the bottom of the dialog.
5. Finish opening the file.

That should fix things, but if it doesn't hit Google with "fix file associations". That will get you several million responses to choose from, and confirm that this is a VERY common problem.

Janet Wallis

Thanks Jim for your response.  Don't find Digitizer Jr. on open with Only gives me Explorer, notepad or word.  If I go to BuzzXplore I can open entire folder.  Seems like an additional step to take but I can't find the digitizer file anywhere.  My son was in town from IN last weekend and copied my files, etc from old computer so when I deleted the digitizer Jr software and hit all components I thought I was okay.

On Fri, Sep 6, 2019 at 9:47 AM Jim Stutsman via Groups.Io <onlinesewing=icloud.com@groups.io> wrote:
Apparently you installed some form of Artistic software after installing Digitizer Jr. Whatever program was installed last is what Windows uses to assign icons, and also is the default program to open those files. Here's a possibly easy (well, it is Windows, so we can hope!) way to fix it:

1. Find a JEF file and right click on it.
2. Choose "Open with".
3. In the "Open With" dialog find Digitizer Jr, but don't click on it yet.
4. Check the box that says "Always use this program..." near the bottom of the dialog.
5. Finish opening the file.

That should fix things, but if it doesn't hit Google with "fix file associations". That will get you several million responses to choose from, and confirm that this is a VERY common problem.

Jim Stutsman

OK, I think I see where the problem is. You cannot transfer a program like Digitizer Jr from one computer to another simply by copying files. You will need to reinstall Digitizer Jr. on the new computer using the original CD. Then go here and download the latest update for your D Jr. The reason is that Windows squirrels files away all over the hard drive, not just in the program folder. It also puts lots of stuff in the Registry, which is a hidden file of great fragility. Messing with it can render your computer into a brick. Reinstallation is the safest, only practical way.