Topics

flash drive

itsatweetything

Hi, I have had my machine for about 1 year. Everything worked.  Last week, it would not recognize one of my
flash drives. Then it said, flash drive unusable. Which concerned me, I had a number of designs on that one.
I put it on my computer, and it worked fine. All the information was there.  So I tried another flash drive, that
came with the machine, that had designs on it, put it in the 15000, and it kept saying insert flash drive.
I tried it on #1 and #2. So is there something wrong with my flash drive unit. Could I have done something
and caused this to happen. I just purchased a laptop, with the intent to hook it up to the 15000. But I
wasn't going to do, right now. Besides, I don't like the idea of something on my machine,that does not
work.  It is only about 4 years old, with only 13 sewing hours when I bought it.
I love this machine. Would you offer suggestions or a solution.
Thank You      Maureen

Jim Stutsman

There are a couple of possibilities here. First is the flash drive itself. Those devices are not "forever". The process of writing to them actually wears them out over time, and when the time runs out you will lose data. Never have your flash drive be the only place designs are stored! In your case, since the computer has no problem with the drives they are probably OK.

Which brings us to a not-so-great conclusion. It would appear that the USB port has failed. One weakness in the design of the Janome USB system is that it leaves the drives hanging out over the side of the machine. If it's in a cabinet, and a USB drive is plugged in, it can catch on the edge if the machine is pushed down into the cabinet. That can snap off the plastic piece that holds the USB contacts. Take a strong light and shine it into the USB connector you've been using for your flash drives. If you see what looks like a tangle of wires it means the plastic support is broken. It's on a separate board, so the part should not be horribly expensive, but there will be cost involved.

Did you by chance try BOTH USB ports? If one is damaged, the other one might still work. In any case, it would appear the problem is in the machine. So sorry!

itsatweetything

Yes, I tried it on both ports. And even used flash drives that I knew worked.
But was able to use the flash drives on my computer.

Another question. If i don't repair the ports, and use a laptop, will that
be a problem.

Thank You for your help. And you are so quick to answer. It makes the
stress level, go down.
Maureen

Jim Stutsman

If the computer USB port (type B) works with a USB cable there is no problem using that and not repairing the others. If it works go ahead and use it.

itsatweetything

I found the problem. I think. I looked at both ports, I saw no wires. What I saw was port 2, had a
black plastic thing to the top. Port 1, does not. I used port 1, all the time. By the way, it is
working again. I can use my other flash drives, but not the pink one, I threw that one away.
So do you think I am good.  Or will there be a problem in the future. Should I buy that part.?
Maureen

Jim Stutsman

Port 1 looks OK, but 2 does not look right. The black plastic piece is what the USB wires are attached to. It looks like there is something covering the contacts, which are visible in port 1. I can't tell what's in port 2 from the photo, but if 1 is working you can use that. There's no need to replace the part, and if you can GENTLY probe in port 2 with the machine turned off maybe you can extract whatever is in there. It doesn't look like the plastic piece is broken, though it's hard to tell from the photos.