Topics

File called MAC OSX

Lyn Quine

Message for Jim

sometimes when I download from a website there is a folder in the zipped folder Called _MAC_OSX (Maybe OSC) inside the folder there’s what looks like duplicate files of the designs, but they are non embroidery files.  They don’t open, are they important can I delete them.

another question, why do I sometimes get a message asking me if I want to transfer a design without its properties, usually when I drag and drop, or copy, but if I do it “properly” in software I don’t get that message, am I doing something wrong?

thank you I did try and search the database but I didn’t get any hits.

Jim Stutsman

Like Windows, macOS has the capability of making Zip files to hold designs. However macOS keeps more information (aka metadata) about individual files and that information gets embedded in the archive. This can create confusion when a zip file is created on a Mac and subsequently opened in Windows. You can safely delete those files, as they have no practical use in Windows.

Properties are also metadata, or extra information about files. For example, if a zip file is made from individual files on a CD-ROM they have a “read-only” property because a CD-ROM is by design read-only. If you keep the read-only property when you copy the file you may run into trouble later if you try to delete it. Early versions of Digitizer would sometimes refuse to open files with a read-only property, stating that they were copyrighted. I suppose that came from the idea that something read from a CD was created by someone else, and therefore must be copyrighted. In any case, you don’t need to worry about copying properties. When you copy a design using software, such as Horizon Link Suite, the software is ignoring the properties because they are not relevant to the task. When you drag and drop you’re working at a lower level, and Windows wants to know more about how you want the copy to take place. You can safely ignore the properties, especially with designs since there is nothing in them that the machine needs.

Lyn Quine

Thanks Jim that makes sense now.  I think I have some more tidying up to do in my files.