Fabric for Knit Pants and Shirts

Carole Hollmann

For those who sew garments, I wonder if you could tell me where you find sturdy knit fabrics for knit/yoga pants and knit shirts.  During the pandemic, I've been cooped up in the house and--if nothing else--insist on being comfortable.  Since I often have to hem the pants or alter the shirts in some way, I think it's much easier to sew them from scratch.

I've had it with thin ready-to-wear yoga-type pants and the fact they have NO POCKETS.  I'm not looking for the shiny material that the young folks wear; rather a matte finish and four-way stretch.

Ready-to-wear shirts, after being washed one time, show that they are off grain and really don't wear very well.

Since I'm cooped up in the house so much, I might as well make good use of my time and sew some comfy clothes that fit!  If any of you have had good luck with any particular knits, I'd love your advice.

I live in the US.

Thanks much!

Carole Hollmann

Estelle Torpy

Hi Carole,

I have had good luck with buying knits from the following sources:

Fashion Fabrics Club

Marcy Tilton Fabrics

The Sewing Workshop (Linda Lee)

Happy sewing,

Estelle

On Sep 30, 2020, at 1:43 PM, Carole Hollmann via groups.io <macee55@...> wrote:

[...]

valora hammond

I have also bought from Girl Charlee fabric and liked what they had and what I got.

On Sep 30, 2020, at 2:54 PM, Estelle Torpy <emtorpy@...> wrote:

[...]

Lou Ann

Take a look at Fabric Wholesale Direct.  They have a scuba knit that I've used to cover photo albums, cell phone covers-things like that.  This is actually spongy thick, 4-way stretch, and maybe beefier than you want.  I like this website because they have little 30 second videos showing how the fabric stretches and moves, even how it crumples up!

Andrea LaVergne

I purchased athletic knits from 2 sources- prints from Seweird Fabric and Sly Fox for solids, So Sew English can have a mixture of prints and solids. All 3 have had excellent fabrics and their FB sites are great to ask people what fabrics they have tried or to search for garments made fro a type of fabric.
Andrea