Embroidery software

Kathy Strabel

Please advise if this post is inappropriate.

I am beginning to think about switching from one third-party embroidery program to another third-party program. The machine-branded programs are out of my budget's reach; my hobby dollars simply do not stretch that far.

I currently use Embird, which is the first platform I tried many years ago and I have stuck with it ever since. However, it is often very quirky, and technical help is very spotty, save for one person who is a volunteer and who does a great job. But I have no idea how long she will want to keep doing this service.

I am thinking about the Embrilliance platform. I have never seen it in person, only what I have seen on-screen and no one I know uses this platform. I do not require every bell and whistle from this platform, I believe that the Essentials, Thumbnailer, and Enthusiast modules would be quite sufficient for my needs and skill level. I do not intend to do any digitizing of my own designs, etc.  I do like doing lettering, merging, and some removing of pieces of commercially purchased designs

Can anyone offer an opinion  and/or their comparison of current Embird Basic and the Embrilliance modules mention above?  What do you like or not like about either of the platforms?

Thank you--and happy stitching!!
Kathy Strabel   Camas WA

Jim Stutsman

Not inappropriate at all. These days we're all tightening the belt a bit. Being consumed with app development these days, I no longer use any embroidery software. Diane is transitioning from Janome Digitizer 5 to Hatch, so we can't offer much in the way of an opinion on Embrilliance. However a dear friend of ours, who did many spectacular classes for us when we were dealers, has been handling education and support for Embrilliance. Her presence alone is a testimonial to the quality of the product.

Patricia Ward

I personally would update the Embird to the 2022 and stay with that. There seems to be more support for it as far as written tutorials and an io groups list called Absolutely Embird.  I have not seen much support for Embrilliance.

Personally I really like Hatch and use that.

If you could afford Artistic Digitizer when they offer special coupons for a good price then you could get great support from Ann Hein, a Janome educator who does live video classes on FB nearly each week. She also has many past videos and help files listed on the sight. She may be able to give you a clue as to when it will go on sale again. She is a very good instructor.
Why am I not using that?  I already had Hatch when that AD program started.

Pat in Md

On Dec 13, 2021, at 10:16 AM, Kathy Strabel <ksbappa@...> wrote:

[...]

Padden, Jennifer R

I have the Embrilliance modules you mentioned and am so beyond pleased with them. I am able to find all kinds of tutorials thru Bubbles menagerie (Lisa Shaw) and their tech help response is amazing. I highly recommend it! I have used it for the last two years and have been able to do anything I want/need for my designs and combining and editing.

Helene B

I have used Embird for years and find it a really good program

On Dec 13, 2021, at 7:29 AM, Patricia Ward <ward.pm@...> wrote:

[...]

Cat - N

You might simply download trials of any you are considering. Only download one at a time, though, or one’s trial might expire before you get to try it. I trialed Embrilliance and liked it (wanted digitizing) but it didn’t allow saving to test stitch. It was easy to use (for me and the way I think) but I got Hatch. I Embird also had a trial, as did SewWhat Pro, and Hatch, and I tried as many as interested me at that time.

- Cat

Typos courtesy of autocorrect.

On Dec 13, 2021 at 10:15 AM, <Kathy Strabel> wrote:

[...]

Vivienne Gilmour

Kathy

I have Embird and Embrilliance. for resizing and editing., Both are very comprehensive. Embrilliance offers 12 free lessons to get you started. In my opinion, for resizing and editing Embird is  easier by far.

Sent from Mail for Windows

Kathy Skagen <kagen48@...>

I have a friend that uses Embird and loves it. She says that she can resize a design more than 20% with no problem in Buzz edit (I think). It was one component of the program.
Kathy

On Tuesday, December 14, 2021, 09:49:26 AM CST, Vivienne Gilmour <vivienne34@...> wrote:

Kathy

I have Embird and Embrilliance. for resizing and editing., Both are very comprehensive. Embrilliance offers 12 free lessons to get you started. In my opinion, for resizing and editing Embird is  easier by far.

Sent from Mail for Windows

Cat - N

Many software programs have features, such as adjusting stitch density, that improve resizing above/below 20%.

On Dec 14, 2021 at 12:42 PM, <Kathy Skagen> wrote:

I have a friend that uses Embird and loves it. She says that she can resize a design more than 20% with no problem in Buzz edit (I think). It was one component of the program.
Kathy

Nyssa Lanzafame

Cat, I am wondering which you liked best.  I ended up with embrilliance. I really liked the interface.  Interested I later ended up with Bernina software (I hear it’s same platform as hatch). My takeaway is that I prefer the embrilliance interface, but have to test stitch several times and tweak designs a lot! Whereas the  designs digitized in Bernina stitch out well the first time! Soooo…..it’s a compromise I guess

On Mon, Dec 13, 2021 at 4:12 PM Cat - N via groups.io <navillusc=netscape.net@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

I believe a post I made back in December spurred this new post by Nyssa L.
I am still on Embird, but after some very frustrating things have happened. I had upgraded from Embird version 2017 on my Win7 computer to Embird 2021/Win7. I am annoyed with myself for ever doing that, since the upgrade has been a bunch of headache for me. First, I have not noticed anything different as far as features that is any better than the 2017 version-- for me, at least.  Then came several very frustrating problems with version 2021 on my Win7 system. After several problems, I decided maybe it was time to upgrade my operating system to Win10, which I did. Some, not all, of the glitches have been resolved,but to this day, there is still some glitch with the Iconizer feature that is sort-of minor, and does not affect the rest of Embird, so I have not been losing any sleep about that. But still, the program and its accessories should work fully. Just like mine did BEFORE I ever upgraded either Embird or my Operating System.  I see now that Embird has gone ahead and released yet another version--2022--and some people are reporting similar glitches as I have experienced.I have heard that this may be a Microsoft problem. Could be, but to my way of thinking, it should have been corrected before launching yet another version--with similar glitches.  After all of this hassle the last several months, I am still on Embird, but now on version 2021/Win10, which works smoothly 99.9% of the time. I still want that last fraction of a % to work, though!!! I have read various reviews from users of some of the other third-party embroidery softwares, and none of the others sound any better than Embird. Not worth the possible further headaches from ditching Embird and trying some other program. A 99.9% bird in the hand is worth more than one in a bush somewhere. At least for me.  I wish you good luck in searching for other embroidery software, and would love to hear your conclusions when you have made them.
Happy stitching!
Kathy Strabel

--
Have a good one!
Kathy Strabel

Cat - N

I liked Embrilliance just fine.  It was in my top 3 and partly because I didn't need the book to use it or Hatch the first time I tried, and from seeing MBX 4 videos, I knew I could draw with it just fine, too.  But, I couldn't test stitch using the Embrilliance trial like I could with Hatch, and there was no trial for MBX.

I can offer a better explanation why I chose Hatch over Embrilliance, MBX, and the others, but it would be a somewhat lengthy explanation...fair warning...so best maybe to not do that here...LOL

However, we are all different, with different backgrounds, different interests, different experiences, different 'aptitudes' and learning methods, different electronic tools, different budgets, etc...and I have yet to see a digitizing software program that does everything the way I would want it to, so...yep...we have to pick and choose what we cannot live without, what sacrifices we are willing to make, what we can/will spend...all that and more.  Hopefully, we are happy with our choices because good digitizing software doesn't come out of a gumball machine for a quarter...LOL

- Cat

[...]

Lyn Quine

The latest edition of Embird is more than likely to run on Windows 11.  They don’t keep  all the software developers up to date with updates done every week, they leave the users to find out and report back to the  developers, who have probably been working hard testing for problemsas soon as the update is released, to find the patch so they can keep their users happy.  But everyone has a different setup with different software installed along with other software, each install will be almost unique.  I have heard that the freebie Iconiser from one of the embroidery companies like Embird or Embrilliance, causes problems with the Hatch and Janome software.  Not all software clashes are down to Microsoft but the majority are.

When Apple do a big upgrade on their iOS a lot of apps no longer work until they are upgraded.  My husband has several apps that won’t work on the lakes updates, so he doesn’t update his devices.  In fact his iMac can’t be updated any further, as it’s now too old.

On 7 Feb 2022, at 17:56, Kathy Strabel <ksbappa@...> wrote:

[...]

Kathy, I completely understand ALL of what you're going through, and share your 'heartache' with 'working-ish' software.  My 'career experience' rather forces me to say...both as 'technical support' and as a 'programmer'...there is no 'perfect' solution.  The only thing close to 'perfect' is "proprietary" where you do not really have much if any flexibility in what your system does, and even then, you 'live with' or 'live without' features.  Mostly, none of like "proprietary" (think "Packard Bell" if you remember that...LOL).

We all have different systems...different OSes, different software combinations, different hardware combinations (I have a "gaming" computer...but I am not a "gamer"...I just need VRAM separate from RAM), different needs, different budgets, and we think and work differently.    It would be impossible for a programmer to test their software in EVERY situation...and Microsoft is notorious for having 'hidden' features that break stuff...LOL  The only systems that can be fully tested are 'closed' environments...like on mainframe computers...and I am completely comfortable making Registry 'hacks' when necessary...I've been 'manually carving' errant programs out of Registries for a long, long time!

But I completely agree that upgrades shouldn't DEGRADE the software...although my 30+ years of experience are that you ALWAYS lose something with every upgrade!!!  Case in point...I just finally let Softmaker update my FreeOffice.  UGH!!!  I back-leveled to the old version I have been using for years because in this NEW upgrade, I don't have a 'document close' ("X") so cannot close JUST that ONE document and have to leave it open until closing the whole TextMaker program.  If it is possible to close single documents, I haven't found it yet...and probably never will...will likely uninstall the 'new and improved' version.  LOL

I am truly sorry you are having issues with Embird. I hope they get it sorted, and release a 'fix update' that allows you to use your software again, whether or not you sleep well.  LOL

- Cat

[...]

Any software that changes "file associations" or ".dll" files is going to 'mess' with things...and many still do those things automatically, without asking/telling the "user" anything!  But, then again, a lot of "users" take the 'automatic install'...which allows 'crapware' to auto install, too.  I am so old school that I started doing this before there WAS a school for microcomputers, on an IBM PC or a Microsoft at all!!!   In fact, I was asked to sit on College Boards to help them create courses to teach what I was doing in company jobs I 'carved out' in their Personnel departments (pre-dating H.R.'s invention)...LOL

Registry hacks can 'fix' some problems, and for me, are often where I go...not the 'click-throughs' and drop-down menus.  But I do not recommend everyone do that...LOL But then again, I remember the fake error that Windows, a DOS environment...not an Operating System...used to display saying that DR DOS was not recommended for use with Windows 3.0/3.1, too...because DR DOS was sometimes BETTER and Win3.0/3.1 ran beautifully on it...LOL...as is shown in this article from 1999...as a 'confirmation/validity check' only (sure brings back memories for me):

https://www.theregister.com/1999/11/05/how_ms_played_the_incompatibility/

- Cat

[...]

Oh sorry to hear of your troubles. I tried e bird. I could not get on with it no matter how I tried, nor could I get help.  I do not think you should give up on all software. I love with both the Bernina and embrilliance (Embrilliance has some great features but a have to test stitch more).  Best of luck!

On Mon, Feb 7, 2022 at 12:56 PM Kathy Strabel <ksbappa@...> wrote:
[...]

FYI. John Deer has Hatch on sale right now. I love that software!
Kathy

On Monday, February 7, 2022, 01:39:57 PM CST, Cat - N via groups.io <navillusc@...> wrote:

[...]

Thank you Nyssa. I have not seen anything about Hatch---will check it out for future reference!
Kathy S.

On Monday, February 7, 2022, 01:39:57 PM CST, Cat - N via groups.io <navillusc=netscape.net@groups.io> wrote:

[...]

Sara Jane

Kathy so do I…Sara. ;)

On Feb 8, 2022, at 12:22 PM, Kathy Skagen <kagen48@...> wrote:

[...]

Pixey

Kathy,

If you go to the Hatch Academy at https://academy.hatchembroidery.com/ they have a free series of short webinars that can help you decide what “level” of Hatch to get.  And here is a link to the page that provides a comparison of the different levels,  https://hatchembroidery.com/embroidery-software/#compare  You can also try a free 30 day trial.

Pixey