Topics

Eliminating Bird's Nests

Ceil J

Eliminating Bird’s Nests

First I want to say that my dealer insists that all threading must be done (as is stated in the manual) with the lock key engaged. As he stressed this when I bought my machine, I’ve made a point to always do this but am still amazed at the fact that many do not. (More about this later and the “broken thread” alert.) He advocates using two hands to thread, using the right hand to hold the thread while guiding it with the left hand. I also open the door while threading to ensure that the thread goes where I want it to go.

For the bird’s nests, much to my surprise, my dealer told me that one of the best ways to eliminate bird’s nests is to do the trick that I’ve seen posted here and there, which is to put the thread through the take up lever from left to right instead of the usual (and shown in the directions) right to left. I mentioned to him that I saw this mentioned online and thought he would debunk it as a myth, but he said that he’s been suggesting this trick for years. I rarely get bird’s nests but it has happened and I so will thread this way from now on to minimize the possibility of it happening. (Photo in files)
Also apologies if it should more accurately be listed as Birds' Nests.

Maria Morrow

Agree with all. And the reverse threading through takeup lever works wonders!

On Apr 26, 2018, at 8:32 AM, Ceil J <cjancola@...> wrote:

[...]

Edited to say, there is no photo in the files as I could not figure out how to do that. Here is the photo.

Ceil J

Again, sorry for the giant photo.  I've learned how to resize.  I hope this image helps.

Carole O'Mara

I must have missed previous posts on this topic.  Should the thread in the take up level look like the photo.   Or, is this a photo of how it should not look.

Thanks,
Carole - Colorado Springs

On Apr 27, 2018, at 10:47 AM, Ceil J <cjancola@...> wrote:

Again, sorry for the giant photo.  I've learned how to resize.  I hope this image helps.<rsz_threading.jpg>

Ceil J

Carole,
This is how you should thread the machine IF you are experiencing bird's nests due to the thread jumping out of the take up arm.
Here is the original post:

Eliminating Bird’s Nests

First I want to say that my dealer insists that all threading must be done (as is stated in the manual) with the lock key engaged. As he stressed this when I bought my machine, I’ve made a point to always do this but am still amazed at the fact that many do not. (More about this later and the “broken thread” alert.) He advocates using two hands to thread, using the right hand to hold the thread while guiding it with the left hand. I also open the door while threading to ensure that the thread goes where I want it to go.

For the bird’s nests, much to my surprise, my dealer told me that one of the best ways to eliminate bird’s nests is to do the trick that I’ve seen posted here and there, which is to put the thread through the take up lever from left to right instead of the usual (and shown in the directions) right to left. I mentioned to him that I saw this mentioned online and thought he would debunk it but he said that he’s been using this trick for years. I rarely get bird’s nests but it has happened and I so will thread this way from now on to minimize the possibility of it happening.

Hope this helps you.
Ceil

On Fri, Apr 27, 2018 at 5:08 PM, Carole O'Mara <caroleinco@...> wrote:
I must have missed previous posts on this topic.  Should the thread in the take up level look like the photo.   Or, is this a photo of how it should not look.

Thanks,
Carole - Colorado Springs

On Apr 27, 2018, at 10:47 AM, Ceil J <cjancola@...> wrote:

Again, sorry for the giant photo.  I've learned how to resize.  I hope this image helps.<rsz_threading.jpg>

Donna Staller

ThankS Ceil for this advice. It will help my problems I’m sure. Now, off to my Machine.
Donna