edge to edge quilting

Carole O'Mara

I have been using Diane's DIY magnetic hoop to quilt a few of my edge to edge quilts.  I'm so thankful that Diane has shared this technique and hoop. It has given me  the confidence to use my embroidery machine to quilt my quilts. I would like to quilt using 40wt thread so the quilting will show more than it will with 50wt.

What size needle should I use?  Do I still use the blue dot bobbin?  Should bobbin thread also be 40wt?

TIA,
Carole

Diane Stutsman

I’m so glad you like this method. Any thread will be fine as long as you get a balanced stitch. I’ve used a lot of different threads depending on how I want the finished look.The blue dot bobbin is my favorite because of the looser tension. You can use a heavier weight thread in the bobbin with great results. Happy quilting!
,

Delane Hummel

Could post the link again, I think I somehow missed it.

On Jun 19, 2022, at 8:14 AM, Diane Stutsman via groups.io <diane.stutsman@...> wrote:

I’m so glad you like this method. Any thread will be fine as long as you get a balanced stitch. I’ve used a lot of different threads depending on how I want the finished look.The blue dot bobbin is my favorite because of the looser tension. You can use a heavier weight thread in the bobbin with great results. Happy quilting!
,

Jim Stutsman

Kathy Skagen <kagen48@...>

Diane,
Does this hoop adaptation also work for embroidery if not doing quilting?
Thanks,
Kathy

On Sunday, June 19, 2022, 08:15:02 AM CDT, Diane Stutsman via groups.io <diane.stutsman@...> wrote:

I’m so glad you like this method. Any thread will be fine as long as you get a balanced stitch. I’ve used a lot of different threads depending on how I want the finished look.The blue dot bobbin is my favorite because of the looser tension. You can use a heavier weight thread in the bobbin with great results. Happy quilting!
,

Diane Stutsman

This works great for embroidery. I just embroidered 20 beach towels that were too thick to hoop.

Pixey

I really appreciated the updated, more detailed video in the app. Especially the tips on vertical alignment. That was one piece I had been struggling with because it was really difficult feeling for the small template alignment marks through the bulk of the quilt.

I do have a question on the blue dot bobbin holder. I have one that I bought several years ago (originally for my 6600P). Will it work with my 15000 or is there a ‘different’ blue dot bobbin holder I need to get? Visually, it looks the same as my 15000 bobbin holders (shape of plastic, placement of holes, spring loaded swing arm, etc.

Pixey

On Jun 19, 2022, at 3:23 PM, Diane Stutsman via groups.io <diane.stutsman@...> wrote:

This works great for embroidery. I just embroidered 20 beach towels that were too thick to hoop.

Jim Stutsman

I believe it's the same for the 15000, though they may have changed the part number. If it fits in the machine correctly, and you can turn the hand wheel through a couple of revolutions without seeing anything bad, you should be good.

Kathy Skagen <kagen48@...>

Thank you. That's wonderful! Would it also work on things that were not thick, like t-shirts?
Kathy

On Sunday, June 19, 2022, 03:24:12 PM CDT, Diane Stutsman via groups.io <diane.stutsman@...> wrote:

This works great for embroidery. I just embroidered 20 beach towels that were too thick to hoop.

Roberta K

Hi Diane,
I am planning on doing some quilting with my 500e, using a Monster hoop. I understand that the blue dot bobbin holder works on the 15000, but should I use it on my embroidery machine?

Thanks,
Roberta in FL

Pixey

Hi Kathy,

It seems to me that if you wanted to try and adapt this technique (using the magnets for t-shirts), you need to use a good fusible or sticky back stabilizer on the back of the shirt, including where the magnets go.  Otherwise the shirt will have too much stretch and badly distort.

Pixey

On Jun 19, 2022, at 10:55 PM, Kathy Skagen <kagen48@...> wrote:

Thank you. That's wonderful! Would it also work on things that were not thick, like t-shirts?
Kathy

On Sunday, June 19, 2022, 03:24:12 PM CDT, Diane Stutsman via groups.io <diane.stutsman@...> wrote:

This works great for embroidery. I just embroidered 20 beach towels that were too thick to hoop.

Kathy Skagen <kagen48@...>

Hi Pixey,
Thank you very much. That makes perfect sense. The idea looks great for quilting. But I don't quilt.
I hope you enjoyed your getaway and had success getting reacquainted with Hatch!
Kathy

On Tuesday, June 21, 2022, 10:12:37 AM CDT, Pixey via groups.io <pixeyam@...> wrote:

Hi Kathy,

It seems to me that if you wanted to try and adapt this technique (using the magnets for t-shirts), you need to use a good fusible or sticky back stabilizer on the back of the shirt, including where the magnets go.  Otherwise the shirt will have too much stretch and badly distort.

Pixey

On Jun 19, 2022, at 10:55 PM, Kathy Skagen <kagen48@...> wrote:

Thank you. That's wonderful! Would it also work on things that were not thick, like t-shirts?
Kathy

On Sunday, June 19, 2022, 03:24:12 PM CDT, Diane Stutsman via groups.io <diane.stutsman@...> wrote:

This works great for embroidery. I just embroidered 20 beach towels that were too thick to hoop.

Pixey

Thanks Kathy.  I have used this approach for other non-stretchy, hard to hoop multi-things, like towels, tote bags, and placemats.

I did enjoy the getaway and have watched a number of the Hatch videos.  Am probably going to upgrade soon to v3.

Pixey

On Jun 21, 2022, at 11:56 AM, Kathy Skagen <kagen48@...> wrote:

[...]

Favy has lots of good things to say about Hatch v3. I will probably upgrade in a few months. It would benefit me to watch the Hatch videos, too. I'll have to put it on my list! I thought that when I retired I'd have all this time to do things. Maybe there are too many things that I want to do and they have to go under the list of the things I have to do. I'm pretty impressed with all of the things that you have accomplished since you retired. I think you must move faster than I do!
:-)
Kathy