drum roll please :)

seamgood <seamgood@...>

Well Ladies and Gentlemen,
I believe I sold my 11000 SE...soooo, I will call my dealer tomorrow...he is closed today!! and order my 12000. Hopefully, he has it in stock. At least he did two weeks ago, just waiting for me. I am just praying that the lady buying my machine goes through with it. I spoke with her on the phone and she sounds lovely and sincere. She is supposed to be sending the bank check out today and when it clears, I will ship the machine.
Does anyone know how pay pal works with a large sale? I'm only used to doing small money sales and don't know if pay pal will only release the aloted $500.00 a month till I collect the whole amount. The gal buying asked me to do pay pal, but I told her I wasn't sure how it worked with a larger sum of money. Any guidance? Should I just stick to the bank check and wait for clearance?
Oh, I know I'll have some questions once my machine gets here, but in the meantime, I'm reading everything I can in the files and all the digests. What a wonderful group this is! Thank you so much!
Gloria in MA

Jim_Stutsman <jim@...>

Wow, two posts in a row mentioning PayPal - however this one is on topic, and not an ad. When someone pays for a purchase using a PayPal account the funds are available to the recipient immediately. If they use eCheck then PayPal will not allow access to the funds until the check has cleared, typically 3-4 business days.

I'm not sure what the "$500.00 a month" refers to. Are you selling the machine on a monthly payment plan? I really don't think that's a good idea. I also would not recommend PayPal for large purposes, even though I've been using it for years. They can be very arbitrary about things. Three times last year they froze $4 payments to me because of "possible fraud." In every case the order was legitimate and not fraudulent, so I honored the sale. In every case PayPal decided to refund the money and I did not get paid. Even worse is what happened to a young lady who sold a violin on eBay with PayPal (owned by eBay) payment. The buyer decided he didn't want it. She asked him to ship it back, and offered to pay for it. He contacted PayPal to cancel the sale. They said they could only do that if he provided proof it was damaged, so he smashed it to bits and sent them the picture. The seller is now out both her violin and $2,000. It used to be a good service, but lately PayPal is becoming more and more hostile to sellers.

--- In janome12000@yahoogroups.com, "seamgood" <seamgood@...> wrote:

[...]

meowmie <meowmie@...>

I agree with Jim - I had a bad experience with paypal - out both the item and the money because the other person lied.
Any important items - don't do paypal. Even months later they will take back funds - all because the buyer tells them a story.

Jen

--- In janome12000@..., "seamgood" wrote:

> Well Ladies and Gentlemen,
> I believe I sold my 11000 SE...soooo, I will call my dealer tomorrow...he is closed today!! and order my 12000. Hopefully, he has it in stock. At least he did two weeks ago, just waiting for me. I am just praying that the lady buying my machine goes through with it. I spoke with her on the phone and she sounds lovely and sincere. She is supposed to be sending the bank check out today and when it clears, I will ship the machine.
> Does anyone know how pay pal works with a large sale? I'm only used to doing small money sales and don't know if pay pal will only release the aloted $500.00 a month till I collect the whole amount. The gal buying asked me to do pay pal, but I told her I wasn't sure how it worked with a larger sum of money. Any guidance? Should I just stick to the bank check and wait for clearance?
> Oh, I know I'll have some questions once my machine gets here, but in the meantime, I'm reading everything I can in the files and all the digests. What a wonderful group this is! Thank you so much!
> Gloria in MA

Vikki Youngmeyer

I have used PayPal for years, mainly for small purchase items. I had a Janome 350e embroidery machine before buying the 12000, and I paid online to various embroidery design companies for their designs using Paypal. I was able to download the designs immediately,  the transactions were under $50 and took less than 15 minutes from start to finish. One time I bought a CD of dog designs from an eBay vendor when eBay quit allowing downloads, and one of the designs wouldn’t load up. I emailed the seller and she sent me the file as an email attachment the next day.

I am show secretary for a number of dog shows and many times people pay their entry fees to me via PayPal. I have yet to have a problem with these types of transactions. If something were to go wrong with a transaction I would withhold their permit to show on the day of the show until they made it right with cash. I’ve had more problem with bounced checks than I’ve ever had with PayPal. If things ever got “hinky” after a show, I have my records to back me up and the American Kennel Club will support me.

That being said, I will NOT be selling my vintage sports car on eBay using PayPal. One has to use common sense regarding big ticket items!

Shopping on eBay is similar to a raffle – can you afford to be out that money if you don’t get the item?  I’m cheap when it comes to raffles – usually about $5 is my limit – mainly to support the organization as most of the time there isn’t anything I want or need; however, if there is something I really want at a raffle, I’ll buy $25 worth of tickets or a “stretch”.  If my number is picked, great! If not, the organization still benefits which is the bottom line for me!

As for violins and destroying them – I hope the person who did this ends up in “elevator hell” where the canned music coming thru is a 4th grader just starting out practicing violin lessons!

Vikki

Houston, TX

Sherry Martin

I have bought a few bigger items using paypal (less than $1,000 probably) but I always use my VISA card so that if there is a problem I can also file a claim thru my charge card company.

I also have sold a couple sewing machines (one I think around $1200 and one at about $2000) and I waited until the money came thru from paypal and then transferred it back out to my checking account before I mailed the machines. I let the people I sold the machines to know that I wouldn't be sending them until the money was in my bank account.

--- In janome12000@yahoogroups.com, "Vikki Youngmeyer" <vikkiy@...> wrote:

[...]

Shopping on eBay is similar to a raffle â€" can you afford to be out that money if you don’t get the item? I’m cheap when it comes to raffles â€" usually about $5 is my limit â€" mainly to support the organization as most of the time there isn’t anything I want or need; however, if there is something I really want at a raffle, I’ll buy $25 worth of tickets or a “stretchâ€�. If my number is picked, great! If not, the organization still benefits which is the bottom line for me!

As for violins and destroying them â€" I hope the person who did this ends up in “elevator hellâ€� where the canned music coming thru is a 4th grader just starting out practicing violin lessons!

Vikki

Houston, TX

Vikki Youngmeyer

That’s good to know. I don’t let money accumulate in PayPal’s coffers, and keep only a minimal amount in the checking account associated with it!

Vikki

Houston, TX

I have bought a few bigger items using paypal (less than $1,000 probably) but I always use my VISA card so that if there is a problem I can also file a claim thru my charge card company.

I also have sold a couple sewing machines (one I think around $1200 and one at about $2000) and I waited until the money came thru from paypal and then transferred it back out to my checking account before I mailed the machines. I let the people I sold the machines to know that I wouldn't be sending them until the money was in my bank account.

Karen

I believe we are getting a bit off task on all the advantages of our Janome 12000.