Download designs to MAC

Carole O'Mara

Someone, a few weeks ago, mentioned that purchased website designs can be downloaded to a MAC computer and transferred to a USB stick.  I prefer working on my MAC rather than my PC since I look for designs on my MAC.  Has anyone done this?  If so, could you please tell me the procedure.  I could also save to Dropbox if that is an option.
TIA,
Carole - Colorado

Linda S <quiltdogz3@...>

That’s my question also!

On Dec 3, 2020, at 10:26 AM, Carole O'Mara <caroleinco@...> wrote:

Someone, a few weeks ago, mentioned that purchased website designs can be downloaded to a MAC computer and transferred to a USB stick.  I prefer working on my MAC rather than my PC since I look for designs on my MAC.  Has anyone done this?  If so, could you please tell me the procedure.  I could also save to Dropbox if that is an option.
TIA,
Carole - Colorado

Meridee Steele

Hello Carole
Yes I download designs to my MAC computer all the time and then transfer to USB to take to my Janome 12000.
It’s very straightforward. Just download design, open the download and copy and paste the design to the USB. Saving to Dropbox is a good option too and just transfer by copy and paste from there.
Good luck.

On Fri, 4 Dec 2020 at 5:26 AM, Carole O'Mara <caroleinco@...> wrote:
Someone, a few weeks ago, mentioned that purchased website designs can be downloaded to a MAC computer and transferred to a USB stick.  I prefer working on my MAC rather than my PC since I look for designs on my MAC.  Has anyone done this?  If so, could you please tell me the procedure.  I could also save to Dropbox if that is an option.
TIA,
Carole - Colorado

Wendy Warner

I believe DIME has a software program for MAC.

On Thursday, December 3, 2020, 10:26:41 AM CST, Carole O'Mara <caroleinco@...> wrote:

Someone, a few weeks ago, mentioned that purchased website designs can be downloaded to a MAC computer and transferred to a USB stick.  I prefer working on my MAC rather than my PC since I look for designs on my MAC.  Has anyone done this?  If so, could you please tell me the procedure.  I could also save to Dropbox if that is an option.
TIA,
Carole - Colorado

Jim Stutsman

StitchBuddy works great for getting designs on a USB on a Mac, and it does a whole lot more. Check it out here: https://www.stitchbuddy.de

Mattes

Second that, Meridee!

There is no need for any additional software to transfer embroideries to a USB pen drive: Simply drag 'n' drop with the macOS Finder will do. Unfortunately Janome machines are somehow picky about the USB folder structure and design location, so this PDF might help. StitchBuddy - as Jim mentioned - guides you selecting the correct location and is adding preview and editing capabilities to your Mac. There is a free trial available to check it out - and for transparency: I'm the developer of StitchBuddy...

Mattes

Cheryl Paul

I just download everything I purchase on my MAC. If it needs to go to a Windows program, I look for it from Windows on the drive that the MAC is assigned to in that program and open it or copy it to the Windows side of things. However, for designs it is much easier to use Stitch Buddy, then you can open the file to see what the design is and copy it to your USB. It is really simple once you get used to doing this. I’ve never lost a beat by going to a MacBook over 10 years ago and have had much less frustration over all with my MacBook.

You’ve been given lots of coaching on this thread, hopefully you have fun with all of it. It does work.

Cheryl - Saskatoon

Linda S <quiltdogz3@...>

Thanks..I’d never heard of your app until you and another person mentioned it.  My specific question, I guess, would be if I’ve created a design in AcuEdit , can I move it into Stitch buddy so it will show up and be shared to my other iPad?  That’s my big concern, since one is going to go out soon..

Thanks,
Linda

On Dec 4, 2020, at 7:14 AM, Mattes <info@...> wrote:

Second that, Meridee!

There is no need for any additional software to transfer embroideries to a USB pen drive: Simply drag 'n' drop with the macOS Finder will do. Unfortunately Janome machines are somehow picky about the USB folder structure and design location, so this PDF might help. StitchBuddy - as Jim mentioned - guides you selecting the correct location and is adding preview and editing capabilities to your Mac. There is a free trial available to check it out - and for transparency: I'm the developer of StitchBuddy...

Mattes

Mattes

Hi Linda,

My specific question, I guess, would be if I’ve created a design in AcuEdit , can I move it into Stitch buddy so it will show up and be shared to my other iPad?
I have to admit that I‘m not very experienced with AcuEdit. Actually I have version v3.21.001 installed, but hardly use it at all. AcuEdit seems to run a very closed shop with regards to its designs: Other apps are not allowed to access its local storage and it provides neither any sharing option nor supports iCloud storage.

This having said the only way I would envision exporting designs out of AcuEdit is a transfer via your machine - unfortunately I cannot test it myself, maybe someone else can confirm or correct me?

Long story short: There is not a thing StitchBuddy could do to access AcuEdit‘s designs without Janome‘s app cooperating...

Mattes

Jim Stutsman

Mattes is right about AcuEdit being a closed system. Janome has engineered it to be a kind of software dongle. If you don't own a 15000 (or now S9), you can do little with it. It's possible to extract the designs you have saved in it using iTunes and cabling your iPad to your computer. You can also send designs to AcuEdit the same way, but this is not a convenient way to transfer files.

Linda S <quiltdogz3@...>

Thank you!  I imagine I’ll have to do that..I have manipulated every way I can think of!

On Dec 5, 2020, at 3:03 PM, Jim Stutsman via groups.io <onlinesewing@...> wrote:

Mattes is right about AcuEdit being a closed system. Janome has engineered it to be a kind of software dongle. If you don't own a 15000 (or now S9), you can do little with it. It's possible to extract the designs you have saved in it using iTunes and cabling your iPad to your computer. You can also send designs to AcuEdit the same way, but this is not a convenient way to transfer files.

darlene Reese

I have the 15000, but broke the embroidery unit. Because it is on order from Japan, I purchased the 550e .
I am able to use the AcuDesign and save to A file in my Dropbox. Then 8 can go to my laptop and find the file and transfer it to a jump drive and take it to the machine. O have to pick the hoop once it is there, as the AcuDesign only recognizes the 500e, not the 550e.
I can also pick up the files and transfer them to my cartridge for my 10000 via a special connector that I found on line .
I still like my 15000 the best, but the others work fine too.
The biggest concern I have about the 550e is all the instructions about how to oil it. You have to take the whole machine apart! I am terrified to do this.
But if it needs to be done every month as the manual suggests if you do a lot of embroidery, and I do, I can’t afford $150 service call every month.

Pam Davison

I too was shocked at what you had to do to oil the 550e.  Once i got over the shock and anger, I did it.  I still don't like it.  I will definitely look at the instruction book maintenance section before buying another machine.

I have the 15000, but broke the embroidery unit. Because it is on order from Japan, I purchased the 550e .
I am able to use the AcuDesign and save to A file in my Dropbox. Then 8 can go to my laptop and find the file and transfer it to a jump drive and take it to the machine. O have to pick the hoop once it is there, as the AcuDesign only recognizes the 500e, not the 550e.
I can also pick up the files and transfer them to my cartridge for my 10000 via a special connector that I found on line .
I still like my 15000 the best, but the others work fine too.
The biggest concern I have about the 550e is all the instructions about how to oil it. You have to take the whole machine apart! I am terrified to do this.
But if it needs to be done every month as the manual suggests if you do a lot of embroidery, and I do, I can’t afford $150 service call every month.

Mary E

The easiest way to oil your 500e is to stand it on the handwheel end, remove the screws that hold the bottom panel on, and oil from there. The manual says to access the thread cutter from the side to oil it, but it is an exercise in frustration to get the screw driver onto the screw head. The rest is pretty straightforward. You may have to experiment to get the cover for the takeup lever back on, but it goes on eventually.
Mary

On Monday, December 7, 2020, darlene Reese <reesie@...> wrote:
I have the 15000, but broke the embroidery unit. Because it is on order from Japan, I purchased the 550e .
I am able to use the AcuDesign and save to A file in my Dropbox. Then 8 can go to my laptop and find the file and transfer it to a jump drive and take it to the machine. O have to pick the hoop once it is there, as the AcuDesign only recognizes the 500e, not the 550e.
I can also pick up the files and transfer them to my cartridge for my 10000 via a special connector that I found on line .
I still like my 15000 the best, but the others work fine too.
The biggest concern I have about the 550e is all the instructions about how to oil it. You have to take the whole machine apart! I am terrified to do this.
But if it needs to be done every month as the manual suggests if you do a lot of embroidery, and I do, I can’t afford $150 service call every month.

Kathy Strabel

I have the 500e machine and would not say I was shocked or angry about having to oil it regularly, but I was surprised at it, since it has been a very long time since I have had a machine that required it. However, I was annoyed that no one mentioned  that fact when I was shopping and comparing which make and model to buy. The oiling process is not really all that complicated and if you set up a specific block of time, set out a folded bath towel to place your machine on, and carefully follow the instructions and diagrams in the manual, it goes pretty well. I made a label and placed it on the front of my machine to remind me to perform this maintenance task. It should not be necessary to take it in to your dealer just for an oiling. The scariest part is when you "turn your machine so the balance wheel (hand wheel) is at the bottom". Take a deep breath and just do it. It gets easier each time.   Happy stitching!  Kathy Strabel.  Camas WA