DIY - make your own magnetic hoop for the 15000 using the GR hoop

Jim Stutsman

Edited

Here's the video: https://youtu.be/DV9bDAYHOQg

Parts required are listed in the video description, repeated here for your convenience. Have fun!

Parts from Amazon:

Mending braces

Magnets

Gaffer tape

georgebarbara1218@att.net

Thank you. I was trying to figure something out for the GR hoop. Really wanted the larger quilting area. Hope you both are well. Still think of you every time I drive down Gaylord

On Feb 10, 2021, at 4:43 PM, Jim Stutsman via groups.io <onlinesewing@...> wrote:

Here's the video: https://youtu.be/DV9bDAYHOQg

Parts required are listed in the video description, repeated here for your convenience. Have fun!

Parts from Amazon:

Mending braces

Magnets

Gaffer tape

juliadlf.ny@...

Thanks Diane and Jim for the video. I've linked in all the supplies so when we get resettled in our new home, I can order and try what Diane has done. I've not had a hard time with the included hoop magnets but always looking for a better way. I do use Patsy Thompson Quilt Suspension System to keep the quilt up off the embroidery arm. Works good for me.
Julia

Carole O'Mara

How great you are!! Not only do you create a magnetic hoop for the GR hoop, but you give us the part numbers AND make a ‘how to’ video. Since my sewing room is small my husband is planning a ceiling suspended system to accommodate hoop quilting and quilting with the dual feed foot.

Thank you so much for all you do for our group. You are sooooo appreciated!

Happy Valentine’s day.

Carole - Colorado

Cat - N

I understand lack of space!  Did you know that dog grooming arms (for grooming tables) will clamp onto table surfaces and you can get as many or as few as you need for whatever configuration necessary to support a project.  Lots of different kinds, and some fold up and/or come apart, and can be stored in minimal space when not in use.  (Yorkshire Terriers supervise everything I do!)

- Cat (FL)

...Since my sewing room is small my husband is planning a ceiling suspended system to accommodate hoop quilting and quilting with the dual feed foot...

saba_cat2

Jim and Diane,

Is "Gaffer Tape" or "duct tape" used in your GR hoop magnetic hoop work around?   I ordered from Amazon the item linked in your email.  Sadly it looks like it's been around for a while, is very tacky and says it is "duct tape".   Apparently they are not the same thing.  In my opinion, this item doesn't appear to be what you'd want on the hoop especially if needing to remove it to use the hoop for an embroidery.

From: Carole O'Mara <caroleinco@...>

...Since my sewing room is small my husband is planning a ceiling suspended system to accommodate hoop quilting and quilting with the dual feed foot...

Ceil J

Not sure if I share this here but I ordered a Creative Grids ruler from Amazon (Angela Walter's Sid) and it had a defect.  When I contacted them, they sent me to their distributor who wanted photos and the name of the site I had used.  I complied.  I shared this in Facebook groups and had people telling me that I should have gone to my local store, that those rulers are only sold by Angela on her site, that it would not be profitable for anyone to make counterfeit rulers, etc. so that I regretting trying to be helpful to anyone.  But the distributor did tell me that it has become a big problem for Creative Grids and that even though the site I ordered from was one of their authorized dealers, that the system Amazon employs for sorting and distribution of items with the same (some fake) SKU's sometimes causes the real ones and fake ones to be intermingled. (Remember the OV glove fiasco?)   I did not do this to save money either even though it was a savings of about $.o2!  Buyer beware!  But the distributor did say they were trying to work with Amazon to fix this situation.  Ceil

Ceil J

Cat-  I have that tape too and it is great.  I think it was recommended by someone named Jeanie(?) as she used it to make a frame for utilizing less stabilizer.  I lost track of her website and it might have been from one of the groups when Jim was on Facebook.  She used to have a blog that I followed but lost track of it when I switched computers and somehow deleted all the bookmarks from my browser.
Another great tape to have is 3M's Transpore.  It's fantastic on the back of rulers and also use it for the underneath of in the hoop items as masking tape just seems to roll on me. Ceil

On Tue, Feb 23, 2021 at 9:30 AM Cat - N via groups.io <navillusc=netscape.net@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Jim, I'm confused.  The Gaffer Tape Amazon link is for

Polyken 223 Multi-Purpose Duct Tape: 3 in. x 60 yds. (White).

Is this really what Diane used on her hoop?  Wouldn't this be a better option (also from Amazon)?

On Tuesday, February 23, 2021, 10:47:11 AM PST, Ceil J <cjancola@...> wrote:

[...]

Based on what others have gotten from Amazon, maybe we were just lucky to get something that worked. I've removed the link from the tape, so no one else will have problems. Your choice is probably as good as any.