Topics

Digitizer Ver 5.0 Activation Transfer Program

Sherry Guequierre

I just got the Ver 5.5 MBX upgrade.  I will be purchasing an iMac very soon.  I am assuming I should install the upgrade on my old computer first and then use the Activation Transfer Program.  However I do not see a Ver 5.5 transfer program.  Will the 5.0 program work or should I not upgrade to 5.5 on my old computer?

Thanks for any advice.

sherry

Jim Stutsman

To install the 5.5 upgrade you will need a working V5 installed first. So here's what I would do:

1. Install V5.0 once you get the iMac. Note that you will also need VMware Fusion or Parallels installed first, as well as a copy of Windows. Don't try to do anything until you have Windows up and working on the iMac.
2. Run the license transfer program on the old computer to get your license.
3. Install V5.0 on the iMac Windows Virtual Machine. Don't try to use it or even activate it.
4. Use the license on the V5 in the iMac. Make sure it is working before going any further.
5. Install the 5.5 upgrade on the iMac.

There are some pitfalls in the road:
  • You could get stuck on step 1 if you don't have virtual machine software and/or Windows.
  • Step 2 could get ugly if the transfer doesn't want to work. Make sure you have the latest patches installed before trying it.
  • If you encounter any difficulty with steps 2-4 you may need Janome help.
  • Once you have completed step 5 successfully make a backup of the entire virtual machine on an external drive. This is really important, especially if you use Parallels. Virtual Machine software gets updated often in search of better performance. This can sometimes cause the software "footprint" of the VM to change enough that Windows, and potentially V5.5, to think you have a new computer and demand reactivation. I also make backups of my VM software prior to updating it for the same reason. If you have everything backed up you can quickly restore it to a working state.

Sherry Guequierre

Jim,

Thank you so much!

Sherry

Kaye Lessard

Jim
I will be helping my sister transfer 5.0 to new windows hp computer - she is waiting on her 5.5 upgrade
And I was wondering if we should upgrade to 5.5 on old computer then transfer or should we just transfer 5.0 to new computer and then install the new 5.5 on new computer ??
But if we have 5.5 already will the transfer program work or is it only to transfer 5.0?

The link for update not sure which is last one we need for v 5 or v5.5??
Kaye In la

Jim Stutsman

Repeating my previous post:

1. Run the V5.0 license transfer program on the old computer to get your license.
2. Install V5.0 on the new computer. Don't try to use it or even activate it.
3. Use the license on the V5 in the new computer. Make sure it is working before going any further.
4. Install the 5.5 upgrade on the new computer.

There are some pitfalls in the road:
  • Step 1 could get ugly if the transfer doesn't want to work.
  • If you encounter any difficulty with steps 2-4 you may need Janome help.