Digitizer Software

atheodossis@...

Hi, I just got me a 14000, which i really love. I had a 10000, so getting a 14000 is a big upgrade for me.
My question is, Shall I get the Digitizer software? I have the Bernina software( I also have a Bernina 790 plus), and I have Embroidery Hatch 2 Complete.
The bernina software is very limited.
The Hatch software is overwhelming to me, I haven't been able to learn a lot, because of how complicated it is.
i am wondering, those of you that have Digitizer, is it user friendly? I am mostly looking to combine embroideries; creating lettering; and doing applique.
Hatch 2 can do all these things on paper, but it is very complicated, so i am looking for something that is more user friendly.
Thank You

Jim Stutsman

Hatch 2 is very similar to Janome Digitizer 5.5. There would be no point in getting that. However Janome has two digitizing programs. Artistic Digitizer is different from Digitizer 5.5. and Hatch 2. All digitizing software has a pretty steep learning curve, but once you master one it would be confusing to switch. Both products have videos to help you start. It became clear that once Janome got Artistic Digitizer, the earlier Wilcom product was on the way out. That’s why Hatch was created.

atheodossis@...

Thank you Jim,
I am looking into getting Artistic Degitizer; I will start with junior and then I can see if I upgrade to the whole thing.
I just want to make sure it's not a wilcom program. Their software is just too complex. Bernina is basically rebranding Hatch and sells it as Bernina, but is it as comlicated as Hatch 2.
I will go to my dealer on Saturday and see if I can try out the sofware before I get it.
I wish they had a trial for a couple of weeks.
I will see if they have videos on youtube between tonight and Saturday also.
Regards,
Alex T.

Kathy Skagen

In my opinion, there is a learning curve for all of the Digitizing software packages. I have Digitizer MBX vs4 and Hatch 2. Wilcom created both of them. They are very similar in user interface and both are very good programs. I love Hatch but I understand what you're saying. However Hatch is actually very user friendly. You should look at all of the videos for beginners with Hatch, use the Hatch academy (you will have the silver version just for buying Hatch) and look at John Deer's videos. He has lots on You Tube and some that he sells. He has a beginner class that will teach you all the basic functions and help you learn your way around the software. I appreciate that he not only tells you how to do something, he teaches you why--the theory.
I was where you are in 2004 when I bought my Janome 10001 and Digitizer (different name at that point) I had read the manual and couldn't understand it at all. A wonderful woman from England (Maggie Cooper)  answered a question I asked on a Janome Q&A site.  She invited me to join her group. She demonstrated everything and that made a world of difference. These days you have so many more sources available to you to help you learn, I urge you to learn to use Hatch. It's a wonderful program.
Kathy

On Thursday, October 28, 2021, 08:18:20 PM CDT, atheodossis@... <atheodossis@...> wrote:

Hi, I just got me a 14000, which i really love. I had a 10000, so getting a 14000 is a big upgrade for me.
My question is, Shall I get the Digitizer software? I have the Bernina software( I also have a Bernina 790 plus), and I have Embroidery Hatch 2 Complete.
The bernina software is very limited.
The Hatch software is overwhelming to me, I haven't been able to learn a lot, because of how complicated it is.
i am wondering, those of you that have Digitizer, is it user friendly? I am mostly looking to combine embroideries; creating lettering; and doing applique.
Hatch 2 can do all these things on paper, but it is very complicated, so i am looking for something that is more user friendly.
Thank You

Cheryl Alm

Have you looked for the lessons for Hatch that are on You Tube?  They are very helpful.

On Oct 28, 2021, at 9:18 PM, atheodossis@... wrote:

Hi, I just got me a 14000, which i really love. I had a 10000, so getting a 14000 is a big upgrade for me.
My question is, Shall I get the Digitizer software? I have the Bernina software( I also have a Bernina 790 plus), and I have Embroidery Hatch 2 Complete.
The bernina software is very limited.
The Hatch software is overwhelming to me, I haven't been able to learn a lot, because of how complicated it is.
i am wondering, those of you that have Digitizer, is it user friendly? I am mostly looking to combine embroideries; creating lettering; and doing applique.
Hatch 2 can do all these things on paper, but it is very complicated, so i am looking for something that is more user friendly.
Thank You

Helene B

Have you looked at Embird? I use it to do what you have listed. Very user friendly and last I looked is about $100.00

On Oct 28, 2021, at 7:25 PM, Kathy Skagen <kagen48@...> wrote:

[...]

Cheryl Paul

Hi, Yes there is a learning curve to Hatch 2, and Digitizer V5 or 5.5 - I like Kathy started with Digitizer 10000 back in about 2003. I was lucky as there were 2 Janome dealerships in Saskatoon and one of them also ran a commercial digitizing and embroidery business - many Barudan 15 needle machines. Trevor started digitizing when he was about 16 years old with his Dad and Mom. Our digitizing today is a whole lot easier than the needle punch design Trevor showed at one of our classes - it was a large banner type of piece of paper, with a drawing of an elk on it that has needle holes all over it. It reminds me of a pentagram used by long arm quilters. It was really hard to imaging that that huge paper drawing sewed out into something as small as a 2-4” embroidery.

That was Digitizer 10000 - up to Version 5.5 and all versions between. About 2 years ago I decided that I had better start to learn Artistic Digitizer so I bought it. It is absolutely a nightmare in comparison - I have a hard time even thinking about using it, but I do occasionally turn it on and work with it a bit. However, I always go b ack to Digitizer, even bypass Hatch 2 as I have only Janome embroidery machines and I feel if I’m digitizing I want to be sure that I have all the machine capabilities at my finger tips and Hatch is for ALL brands, so you have to do more choosing, even though the programs that I’ve seen, will always save in a native to the program format and a “machine specific” format as well, in two separate saves.

What I’m trying to say, is check out what you have and do it carefully, because you might buy something that you absolutely do not like at all. Learn what you have before you change, because there will still be a steep learning curve no matter what you choose. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not sorry for the purchases I’ve made and thankfully it didn’t cause me to sacrifice something more important financially.

Cheryl - Saskatoon

Cat - N

OMG...Cheryl, thank you for the huge laugh...I am still ROFLMAO.  I sure needed the laugh today after all the shopping I had to do:

    "It reminds me of a pentagram used by long arm quilters."

I'm not sure how your autocorrect got wind of that information...we thought the 'secret' was safe, but apparently autocorrect is in on it.

Seriously, I don't know how they dealt with all that paper back then...I only buy digital pantographs...I am just not interested in storing and protecting rolls of paper...plus I digitize pantos for myself.  Love the quilting robot!!!

But about learning digitizing software...I think the one that is best is the one that does what you need and works the way you think.  Too bad there is no crystal ball for that!

Again, thank you!!!  I just LOVE that quote...might have to frame it and hand it over the long arm...LOL

- Cat (FL)