Digitizer Software

atheodossis@...

Hi, I just got me a 14000, which i really love. I had a 10000, so getting a 14000 is a big upgrade for me.
My question is, Shall I get the Digitizer software? I have the Bernina software( I also have a Bernina 790 plus), and I have Embroidery Hatch 2 Complete.
The bernina software is very limited.
The Hatch software is overwhelming to me, I haven't been able to learn a lot, because of how complicated it is.
i am wondering, those of you that have Digitizer, is it user friendly? I am mostly looking to combine embroideries; creating lettering; and doing applique.
Hatch 2 can do all these things on paper, but it is very complicated, so i am looking for something that is more user friendly.
Thank You

Jim Stutsman

Hatch 2 is very similar to Janome Digitizer 5.5. There would be no point in getting that. However Janome has two digitizing programs. Artistic Digitizer is different from Digitizer 5.5. and Hatch 2. All digitizing software has a pretty steep learning curve, but once you master one it would be confusing to switch. Both products have videos to help you start. It became clear that once Janome got Artistic Digitizer, the earlier Wilcom product was on the way out. That’s why Hatch was created.

atheodossis@...

Thank you Jim,
I am looking into getting Artistic Degitizer; I will start with junior and then I can see if I upgrade to the whole thing.
I just want to make sure it's not a wilcom program. Their software is just too complex. Bernina is basically rebranding Hatch and sells it as Bernina, but is it as comlicated as Hatch 2.
I will go to my dealer on Saturday and see if I can try out the sofware before I get it.
I wish they had a trial for a couple of weeks.
I will see if they have videos on youtube between tonight and Saturday also.
Regards,
Alex T.

Kathy Skagen

In my opinion, there is a learning curve for all of the Digitizing software packages. I have Digitizer MBX vs4 and Hatch 2. Wilcom created both of them. They are very similar in user interface and both are very good programs. I love Hatch but I understand what you're saying. However Hatch is actually very user friendly. You should look at all of the videos for beginners with Hatch, use the Hatch academy (you will have the silver version just for buying Hatch) and look at John Deer's videos. He has lots on You Tube and some that he sells. He has a beginner class that will teach you all the basic functions and help you learn your way around the software. I appreciate that he not only tells you how to do something, he teaches you why--the theory. 
I was where you are in 2004 when I bought my Janome 10001 and Digitizer (different name at that point) I had read the manual and couldn't understand it at all. A wonderful woman from England (Maggie Cooper)  answered a question I asked on a Janome Q&A site.  She invited me to join her group. She demonstrated everything and that made a world of difference. These days you have so many more sources available to you to help you learn, I urge you to learn to use Hatch. It's a wonderful program.
Kathy 

On Thursday, October 28, 2021, 08:18:20 PM CDT, atheodossis@... <atheodossis@...> wrote:

Hi, I just got me a 14000, which i really love. I had a 10000, so getting a 14000 is a big upgrade for me.
My question is, Shall I get the Digitizer software? I have the Bernina software( I also have a Bernina 790 plus), and I have Embroidery Hatch 2 Complete.
The Hatch software is overwhelming to me, I haven't been able to learn a lot, because of how complicated it is.
i am wondering, those of you that have Digitizer, is it user friendly? I am mostly looking to combine embroideries; creating lettering; and doing applique.
Hatch 2 can do all these things on paper, but it is very complicated, so i am looking for something that is more user friendly.
Thank You

Cheryl Alm

Have you looked for the lessons for Hatch that are on You Tube?  They are very helpful.  

On Oct 28, 2021, at 9:18 PM, atheodossis@... wrote:

Thank You

Helene B

Have you looked at Embird? I use it to do what you have listed. Very user friendly and last I looked is about $100.00 

On Oct 28, 2021, at 7:25 PM, Kathy Skagen <kagen48@...> wrote:

In my opinion, there is a learning curve for all of the Digitizing software packages. I have Digitizer MBX vs4 and Hatch 2. Wilcom created both of them. They are very similar in user interface and both are very good programs. I love Hatch but I understand what you're saying. However Hatch is actually very user friendly. You should look at all of the videos for beginners with Hatch, use the Hatch academy (you will have the silver version just for buying Hatch) and look at John Deer's videos. He has lots on You Tube and some that he sells. He has a beginner class that will teach you all the basic functions and help you learn your way around the software. I appreciate that he not only tells you how to do something, he teaches you why--the theory. 
I was where you are in 2004 when I bought my Janome 10001 and Digitizer (different name at that point) I had read the manual and couldn't understand it at all. A wonderful woman from England (Maggie Cooper)  answered a question I asked on a Janome Q&A site.  She invited me to join her group. She demonstrated everything and that made a world of difference. These days you have so many more sources available to you to help you learn, I urge you to learn to use Hatch. It's a wonderful program.
Kathy 

On Thursday, October 28, 2021, 08:18:20 PM CDT, atheodossis@... <atheodossis@...> wrote:

Thank You

Cheryl Paul

Hi, Yes there is a learning curve to Hatch 2, and Digitizer V5 or 5.5 - I like Kathy started with Digitizer 10000 back in about 2003. I was lucky as there were 2 Janome dealerships in Saskatoon and one of them also ran a commercial digitizing and embroidery business - many Barudan 15 needle machines. Trevor started digitizing when he was about 16 years old with his Dad and Mom. Our digitizing today is a whole lot easier than the needle punch design Trevor showed at one of our classes - it was a large banner type of piece of paper, with a drawing of an elk on it that has needle holes all over it. It reminds me of a pentagram used by long arm quilters. It was really hard to imaging that that huge paper drawing sewed out into something as small as a 2-4” embroidery.

That was Digitizer 10000 - up to Version 5.5 and all versions between. About 2 years ago I decided that I had better start to learn Artistic Digitizer so I bought it. It is absolutely a nightmare in comparison - I have a hard time even thinking about using it, but I do occasionally turn it on and work with it a bit. However, I always go b ack to Digitizer, even bypass Hatch 2 as I have only Janome embroidery machines and I feel if I’m digitizing I want to be sure that I have all the machine capabilities at my finger tips and Hatch is for ALL brands, so you have to do more choosing, even though the programs that I’ve seen, will always save in a native to the program format and a “machine specific” format as well, in two separate saves.

What I’m trying to say, is check out what you have and do it carefully, because you might buy something that you absolutely do not like at all. Learn what you have before you change, because there will still be a steep learning curve no matter what you choose. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not sorry for the purchases I’ve made and thankfully it didn’t cause me to sacrifice something more important financially.

Cheryl - Saskatoon

Cat - N

OMG...Cheryl, thank you for the huge laugh...I am still ROFLMAO.  I sure needed the laugh today after all the shopping I had to do:

"It reminds me of a pentagram used by long arm quilters."

I'm not sure how your autocorrect got wind of that information...we thought the 'secret' was safe, but apparently autocorrect is in on it.

Seriously, I don't know how they dealt with all that paper back then...I only buy digital pantographs...I am just not interested in storing and protecting rolls of paper...plus I digitize pantos for myself.  Love the quilting robot!!!

But about learning digitizing software...I think the one that is best is the one that does what you need and works the way you think.  Too bad there is no crystal ball for that!

Again, thank you!!!  I just LOVE that quote...might have to frame it and hand it over the long arm...LOL

- Cat (FL)

-----Original Message-----
To: onlinesewing-janome@groups.io
Sent: Fri, Oct 29, 2021 3:24 pm
Subject: Re: [onlinesewing-janome] Digitizer Software

Hi,  Yes there is a learning curve to Hatch 2, and Digitizer V5 or 5.5 - I like Kathy started with Digitizer 10000 back in about 2003.  I was lucky as there were 2 Janome dealerships in Saskatoon and one of them also ran a commercial digitizing and embroidery business - many Barudan 15 needle machines.  Trevor started digitizing when he was about 16 years old with his Dad and Mom.  Our digitizing today is a whole lot easier than the needle punch design Trevor showed at one of our classes - it was a large banner type of piece of paper, with a drawing of an elk on it that has needle holes all over it.  It reminds me of a pentagram used by long arm quilters.  It was really hard to imaging that that huge paper drawing sewed out into something as small as a 2-4” embroidery.

That was Digitizer 10000 - up to Version 5.5 and all versions between.  About 2 years ago I decided that I had better start to learn Artistic Digitizer so I bought it.  It is absolutely a nightmare in comparison - I have a hard time even thinking about using it, but I do occasionally turn it on and work with it a bit.  However, I always go b ack to Digitizer, even bypass Hatch 2 as I have only Janome embroidery machines and I feel if I’m digitizing I want to be sure that I have all the machine capabilities at my finger tips and Hatch is for ALL brands, so you have to do more choosing, even though the programs that I’ve seen, will always save in a native to the program format and a “machine specific” format as well, in two separate saves. 

What I’m trying to say, is check out what you have and do it carefully, because you might buy something that you absolutely do not like at all.  Learn what you have before you change, because there will still be a steep learning curve no matter what you choose.  Don’t get me wrong, I’m not sorry for the purchases I’ve made and thankfully it didn’t cause me to sacrifice something more important financially.

Cheryl - Saskatoon

Cheryl Paul

QUOTE:  "It reminds me of a pentagram used by long arm quilters.

Cat,  I’m not sure what I typed yesterday, but when I read through the topics today, I was HOPING no one noticed the spelling error, but if I did, so would you and many others.  Auto correct is suppose to read my mind and put the right word in as I’m typing, but she doesn’t listen to me at all.

I know that many talk about Embird being so easy to use,  I have to disagree.  I tried it for a month and I did not find it at all as user friendly.  I do have to admit that I may not have given it a chance as I did know Digitizer 10000 past the beginner level at that point in time - I’m still no master, but I can find my way around really comfortably.  One has to do a lot of digitizing to become very proficient in using the software; that can be said for many things we do.

I am on the last of the bags that my daughter commissioned me to make for her stores - 2 Once Upon a Child stores and a Plato’s Closet.  I’m not sure why I was so resistant at first, but after sewing with the fabric that I BOUGHT, I know why.  I purchased what I thought was a light weight denim, but all I can say, is that it is denim only by looks.  It is so flimsy even after ironing on a knit interfacing (some that I already had many metres available at home).  It was not stabilized enough, so on the last couple of bags, I put on a second layer and is much better now.  I’m glad that there is only a wee bit of that horrible fabric left and I’ll just make some little bags with it and put fleece between it and some better quality lining fabric.  I’m so glad that these will be just fine for the use they serve.  I think I’ll get 16 year old Ava, and 10 year old Piper and maybe even 13 year Gerald to make more out of better fabric during the winter.  An extra set for each store.  That way my daughter can get her nieces and one nephew (if he continues to like sewing) to make them when I’m way to old to do this for her.  Actually, I should teach her daughters - maybe one of the 3 could have enough interest in sewing to learn - so far that hasn’t happened.  There are some advantages to home schooling as our son’s kids have the time to learn crafting, gardening, etc. where as, the ones going to school have much more structured lives and NO TIME for anything that doesn’t fit into a very tight schedule.  

I promised a picture months ago, so I’ll attach one today.

Cheryl - Saskatoon

Cat - N

Very cute bags, Cheryl…and a bunch of them.  Nice job!!!  Crazy about the fabric not being what you expected. 

No worries about autocorrect’s ‘word substitution’ correction. I am relatively certain you typed “pantograph”…which is correct…and I understood exactly what you meant.  But it struck me as hilarious, having had a “pentagram” sort of day traipsing through stores looking for an item in apparently short supply at the moment so had to come home without it and didn’t get a single stitch done toward finishing my two Halloween quilts, plus having had things go occasionally wrong on the long arm, it was just the lighthearted joke I needed right then.  “Pantograph” is not a terribly common word and  autocorrect knows nothing of context…only spelling. 

I once texted something to my younger son. I made certain it was what I wanted to say and correctly spelled, then pressed SEND. I got a ‘gobbledygook’ text back followed by several question marks.  As I was contemplating what he could possibly been trying to say, I noticed MY text above his.  The same gobbledygook!!!  Lol. My phone autocorrected my ‘correct’ verbiage into a completely nonsensical text. He loved it…said it was “the best auto wrong” he’d ever received, printed it (with the ‘translation’…lol), framed it and hung it on his office wall. 

No worries!!!

I do have to agree about digitizers though. I found Hatch (and Embrilliance) to be ‘easier’ and more ‘logical’ for me to use. I only have Artistic SimpleCut…which is a special ‘version’ of Artistic…but while it looks easy in instructional videos, it is not intuitive to me. I didn’t complete the Embird trial…I needed the manual far too often, and preferred Hatch’s all-in-one interface to Embird’s ‘modularity’ so believed Hatch to be a better choice for me. 

But for sure, efficiency with any software requires learning and using it!!!

- Cat

Typos courtesy of autocorrect. 

On Oct 30, 2021 at 2:43 PM, <Cheryl Paul> wrote:

QUOTE:  "It reminds me of a pentagram used by long arm quilters.

Cat,  I’m not sure what I typed yesterday, but when I read through the topics today, I was HOPING no one noticed the spelling error, but if I did, so would you and many others.  Auto correct is suppose to read my mind and put the right word in as I’m typing, but she doesn’t listen to me at all.

I know that many talk about Embird being so easy to use,  I have to disagree.  I tried it for a month and I did not find it at all as user friendly.  I do have to admit that I may not have given it a chance as I did know Digitizer 10000 past the beginner level at that point in time - I’m still no master, but I can find my way around really comfortably.  One has to do a lot of digitizing to become very proficient in using the software; that can be said for many things we do.

I am on the last of the bags that my daughter commissioned me to make for her stores - 2 Once Upon a Child stores and a Plato’s Closet.  I’m not sure why I was so resistant at first, but after sewing with the fabric that I BOUGHT, I know why.  I purchased what I thought was a light weight denim, but all I can say, is that it is denim only by looks.  It is so flimsy even after ironing on a knit interfacing (some that I already had many metres available at home).  It was not stabilized enough, so on the last couple of bags, I put on a second layer and is much better now.  I’m glad that there is only a wee bit of that horrible fabric left and I’ll just make some little bags with it and put fleece between it and some better quality lining fabric.  I’m so glad that these will be just fine for the use they serve.  I think I’ll get 16 year old Ava, and 10 year old Piper and maybe even 13 year Gerald to make more out of better fabric during the winter.  An extra set for each store.  That way my daughter can get her nieces and one nephew (if he continues to like sewing) to make them when I’m way to old to do this for her.  Actually, I should teach her daughters - maybe one of the 3 could have enough interest in sewing to learn - so far that hasn’t happened.  There are some advantages to home schooling as our son’s kids have the time to learn crafting, gardening, etc. where as, the ones going to school have much more structured lives and NO TIME for anything that doesn’t fit into a very tight schedule.  

I promised a picture months ago, so I’ll attach one today.

Cheryl - Saskatoon

atheodossis@...

hi, Thank you all for the well thought comments. After, reading all the comments, I have decided, I will stick with Hatch 2 for the moment. I have a ton of christmas projects to do, and both the new Janome and the Bernina have been humming along. I am at least functional with Hatch for Monogramming, which is what I need at the moment the most. After the holidays, I will see where I am at with everything.
I really love the 14000, and the embroidery quality is really amazing.

Helen Aarness

If I could digitize, I would make a stitch out of this visual. I would use it as my label. A looong armed witch quilting with a pentagram. Perfect!

On Oct 29, 2021, at 6:26 PM, Cat - N via groups.io <navillusc@...> wrote:

OMG...Cheryl, thank you for the huge laugh...I am still ROFLMAO.  I sure needed the laugh today after all the shopping I had to do:

I'm not sure how your autocorrect got wind of that information...we thought the 'secret' was safe, but apparently autocorrect is in on it.

Seriously, I don't know how they dealt with all that paper back then...I only buy digital pantographs...I am just not interested in storing and protecting rolls of paper...plus I digitize pantos for myself.  Love the quilting robot!!!

But about learning digitizing software...I think the one that is best is the one that does what you need and works the way you think.  Too bad there is no crystal ball for that!

Again, thank you!!!  I just LOVE that quote...might have to frame it and hand it over the long arm...LOL

- Cat (FL)

Hi,  Yes there is a learning curve to Hatch 2, and Digitizer V5 or 5.5 - I like Kathy started with Digitizer 10000 back in about 2003.  I was lucky as there were 2 Janome dealerships in Saskatoon and one of them also ran a commercial digitizing and embroidery business - many Barudan 15 needle machines.  Trevor started digitizing when he was about 16 years old with his Dad and Mom.  Our digitizing today is a whole lot easier than the needle punch design Trevor showed at one of our classes - it was a large banner type of piece of paper, with a drawing of an elk on it that has needle holes all over it.  It reminds me of a pentagram used by long arm quilters.  It was really hard to imaging that that huge paper drawing sewed out into something as small as a 2-4” embroidery.

That was Digitizer 10000 - up to Version 5.5 and all versions between.  About 2 years ago I decided that I had better start to learn Artistic Digitizer so I bought it.  It is absolutely a nightmare in comparison - I have a hard time even thinking about using it, but I do occasionally turn it on and work with it a bit.  However, I always go b ack to Digitizer, even bypass Hatch 2 as I have only Janome embroidery machines and I feel if I’m digitizing I want to be sure that I have all the machine capabilities at my finger tips and Hatch is for ALL brands, so you have to do more choosing, even though the programs that I’ve seen, will always save in a native to the program format and a “machine specific” format as well, in two separate saves. 

What I’m trying to say, is check out what you have and do it carefully, because you might buy something that you absolutely do not like at all.  Learn what you have before you change, because there will still be a steep learning curve no matter what you choose.  Don’t get me wrong, I’m not sorry for the purchases I’ve made and thankfully it didn’t cause me to sacrifice something more important financially.

Cheryl - Saskatoon

Cat - N

My intention IS to digitize some long arm pentagram designs to go with my others.  I’ve had several ideas…not that one, though, but haven’t had time to start digitizing anything because I’ve been trying to get two of my Halloween quilts finished. Got binding fabric the other day, made backings yesterday, and cut binding this morning. Still have to quilt them. 

I’m not sure what exact visual image you ‘conjured’ up but what fun can be had with it…and apparently I’m not the only one having fun with it…so, thank you!!!  LOL

I absolutely LOVE it…so happy Cheryl’s autocorrect sent me such a funny joke!!!

- Cat

On Oct 31, 2021 at 12:34 PM, <Helen Aarness via groups.io> wrote:

If I could digitize, I would make a stitch out of this visual. I would use it as my label. A looong armed witch quilting with a pentagram. Perfect!

On Oct 29, 2021, at 6:26 PM, Cat - N via groups.io <navillusc@...> wrote:

- Cat (FL)

Cheryl - Saskatoon

atheodossis@...

Hi, I do have an update, I got the new software, it is actually Drawstitch but rebranded for Janome. My god, it is so good, and so easy. I have been struggling with Hatch for years, but with this one, I have already digitized 2 projects, and 2 appliques with absolutely great success. It worthes every penny in my opinion. It does a wonderful job getting the design to stitch out. I have both Janome and Bernina,and the results are amazing in both.

Unique87031@...

You say it's drawstitch regarded
Can I ask what janome is calling it
Thanks

Hi, I do have an update, I got the new software, it is actually Drawstitch but rebranded for Janome. My god, it is so good, and so easy. I have been struggling with Hatch for years, but with this one, I have already digitized 2 projects, and 2 appliques with absolutely great success. It worthes every penny in my opinion. It does a wonderful job getting the design to stitch out. I have both Janome and Bernina,and the results are amazing in both.

Cat - N

Janome has released a digitizer product called Artistic Digitizer.  There is also a “Junior” version, the Janome Artistic Edge cutter comes with a ‘specialized’ version of it called Artistic SimpleCut. 

DRAWstitch is available as well. There is a DRAWstitch 4 evaluation product, a ‘free’ downloadable editor, “my editor,” and current product versions…DRAWings Pro XI, Creative DRAWings, etc.  If you do an internet search for DRAWstitch, you should be able to go directly to the company links, but I’ve included it here:

There is also an app, DRAWings, for iPhone/iPad…maybe other phones/tablets, too…a play store search on other platforms would be necessary. I am a Blackberry user ‘forcibly’ hardware converted to Apple 😁 because, although my BlackBerry phone runs android apps, changes google made to their play store made it far too difficult to easily find apps afterward using the phone, and difficult to install them.  I have android tablets but have never looked at that play store for embroidery/digitizer apps, in part due to my Janome 15000 using Apple apps.  There is a Microsoft play store that my PC keeps trying to send me to for various reasons, but I’ve never looked there for embroidery/digitizer apps either. 

There are other digitizers, too, but to be honest, I found it difficult to find digitizers on the internet when I was first looking years ago.  I really wanted to see a product feature comparison chart but was unable to find one with current products listed at that time.   Hatch didn’t exist back then, but I did find Embrilliance, and Embird…because someone told me about them, and much later learned there was a company called DIME that has a digitizer, too…and learned about some others as well.  I still do generic internet searches…still not sure what else is out there. 😁

I think it’s all about personal preference…what works best for you…‘thinks’ the way you think…and absolutely what product does what you need and want it to do. 

- Cat

On Nov 13, 2021 at 7:33 AM, <Unique87031 via groups.io> wrote:

You say it's drawstitch regarded
Can I ask what janome is calling it
Thanks
Thanks

Cheryl Paul

I looked up Drawstitch and I wonder if it is similar to Artistic Digitizer. I’m glad you found something that works for you - that’s the important thing. You need to be happy, comfortable with what you have and that it stitches out nicely in the end. I can understand software frustration as I’ve been there many times since we got our first Tandy 1000 in the 1980’s. Have fun - digitizing is addictive just like sewing.

Cheryl - Saskatoon

Pauline Dickerson

Help.
Turned off 12000. Turned back on and buzz with message lift presser foot and needle bar, turn back on. I did same thing.

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

Renee Wojnowski

I received the same message on my 12000, the message is a code for those who repair the machine. If memory serves me correctly, it involves a step motor. Google Janome error codes. Good Luck! 

On Tue, Nov 16, 2021 at 1:24 PM Pauline Dickerson <paulinedickerson100@...> wrote:
Help.
Turned off 12000. Turned back on and buzz with message lift presser foot and needle bar, turn back on. I did same thing.

Pauline Dickerson

Thanks, I n knew better that to just turn it off.

-------- Original message --------
Date: 11/16/21 2:31 PM (GMT-05:00)

I received the same message on my 12000, the message is a code for those who repair the machine. If memory serves me correctly, it involves a step motor. Google Janome error codes. Good Luck! 

On Tue, Nov 16, 2021 at 1:24 PM Pauline Dickerson <paulinedickerson100@...> wrote:
Help.