Difficult Choice

Susan Jester

Hi all!

I’ve decided to trade in my 6600P for a new machine. I’m trying to decide which way to go—M7 or 9450. If you had a choice and cost wasn’t an issue, which would you get?

If anyone has either machine, I’d love to hear your thoughts on your machine and if you have anything you regret about getting it or problems you’ve had with it, along with all the good.

Thanks everyone
Susan Jester
MC 6600P / MB-4 / 1100DX / CoverPro 2000CPX

Jayne Griffith

I upgraded from the 6600 to the M7 about six weeks ago.  I LOVE it! The throat space is a dream come true. I can’t tell you what a fantastic machine this is. I have used the 9450 as a friend had it, but it does not compare to the M7.
If you have the option, I would definitely go for the M7.

SewingRose

For many years I owned a 6500P and now own a 9450.

Initially it was a difficult decision to upgrade because I loved using the 6500 and everything about it, in fact I kept it for 3 months after buying it's replacement just in case I changed my mind.  The only reason I ruled out the M7 was due to it's physical size, my sewing room is quite small, and I have multiple machines so that was the decider.

The 9450 is an absolute delight to use and I can't imagine what could be added to make it better.  Recently I bought a Ruler Kit and while I've only done some testing so far, I have a project or two planned in the future.  Mostly I sew garments from bras to faux sherpa/suede jackets and the 9450 just sails through everything with ease.  In fact the first thing I made after unpacking the 9450 was a satin and lace bra and felt that was a good test, which it passed with flying colours.  At the moment I'm making a quilted jacket but have made handbags, wallets, home dec items and occasionally a quilt, so a wide variety of fabrics.

Hope this helps?  ;-)

Cheryl Paul

I’d get the Continental M7, without batting an eyelash. Why? Because it has the new acuflex feed that is ONLY available on the M7. I watched a Instagram today by Kim Jamison-Hirst on the Janome Canada Instagram page and she explained it all. I’ll watch again and post what she said, but in the mean time you can find the information on YouTube in a day or two - Janome Life Channel on YouTube - also check out Janome Life on the Janome Canada Website for this week’s list of Instagram videos.

Cheryl - Saskatoon

Richard and Debra

Hi Susan, for many years, I have traded the then considered top of the line Janome machine, for the next top of the line, and I now have the 9400.  It has everything I have wanted, and to name two of my favorites, the auto-lift presser foot, and the HP foot and plate, which gives a perfect 1/4".  I have looked at the M7 (online) and it looks wonderful!  What I did was go to Janome website and compare side by side the 9400 or 9450 and the M7.  When I did that, I found out that other than physical differences, both machines have pretty much the same functions.  That said, if I didn't have my 9400, and was looking at both, I would probably choose the M7, simply because I like the way it looks and it is a little bigger!  LOL  Do the comparison on the website, maybe that will help you decide - good luck!

Deb (KY)

Vikki Youngmeyer

I have the 9450 and really love it! I work part time for a LQS and got to check the M7 when it first came in. The one thing I noticed is that it is a completely computerized machine, so if any component went out the whole machine went down. Check the warranty, there was something different about it compared with the standard Janome warranty, but it’s been a while and I don’t remember the details.

Vikki

Houston, TX

I’ve decided to trade in my 6600P for a new machine. I’m trying to decide which way to go—M7 or 9450. If you had a choice and cost wasn’t an issue, which would you get?

If anyone has either machine, I’d love to hear your thoughts on your machine and if you have anything you regret about getting it or problems you’ve had with it, along with all the good.

Thanks everyone
Susan Jester
MC 6600P / MB-4 / 1100DX / CoverPro 2000CPX

Kaye Lessard

Where do you find the fabric to make your bras? I am very Full large busted and would love a bra with a wide band at bottom Of bra but can’t find one in my size
Kaye in la

Cheryl Paul

Hi Susan,

I sent a message about my wonderful Continental M7 yesterday. I forgot to mention that it has a feature that NO Janome machine has to date and that is the “hand” stitch stitches. These are wonderful in that when you select a stitch and enter it again, and again, and again, it changes. There is a video on this stitch that shows how this works - it looks so like real hand work that it is unbelievable. I haven’t tried it, because I’m busy making 3 grand daughter quilts and while I’m in the zone, I don’t dare to deviate or they will still not be sewn, when these girls are full grown (they are 9 and 10 now). That is only a drop in the bucket of the quits that I need to make as I have 13 grand children, so I only have 10 more to go. So some of this testing will have to wait - thankfully these videos will still be there to refresh my memory on “how to”.
https://www.facebook.com/watch/live/?v=236303227588530&ref=watch_permalink
One place to look at this technique. I think there are others, but I must use the wrong phrases as I’m not finding some others. If you google “Janome Continental M7” you’ll find lots of good information. It might help your decision.

Cheryl - Saskatoon

Susan Jester

I just wanted to say thanks to everyone for telling me about your machines and what you love about them. So today I took the 2 hr drive and tried out both machines.  While I would have loved to have gotten the M7, I couldn’t justify spending the extra money on it.  I have a long arm so I really don’t use my machine except to piece and maybe do some stitch in the ditch prior to putting it on my frame.

So I bought the 9450!  Got a very good deal that I couldn’t pass up and a bonus along with the Home Depot gift card for hubby.  The only accessory I bought was the magnifying set.  That is so cool.  I didn’t trade in my 6600, so now I’ve got to rearrange my sewing room to fit in my new baby.  Thanks again everyone

Susan

Claire Schutz

Oh Cheryl Paul, the 15K Quiltmaker has the hand stitches.  Please don't take offense, just wanted to let you know. You purchased a wonderful machine according to what I have seen. I have the Quiltmaker and they are very similar. One difference is the Quiltmaker has the embroidery.  We all have different needs and the companies keep adding more to the "want" list.  Enjoy, Claire S.

On 6/17/2020 3:59 PM, Cheryl Paul wrote:
[...]

favymtz

Sorry Claire, but you are misinformed about the Hand Stitches that Cheryl is talking about.
The M7 has some stitches that are called "hand stitches" because they aren't uniform in appearance. They are an entirely different section of decorative stitches.
The Hand Look Stitches on the 15000 are dense stitches and are beautiful too.

--
Favymtz

Jill Olson

Check out Brabuilders.com. They have fabulous fabrics with matching elastic and everything else to make bras. Great patterns too and videos for fitting.

Cheryl Paul

Oh Claire,

You need to get to know me. I have the 15000 upgraded to V3, a Skyline S9, a 4120QCD (for going out) and my M7. Yes there are lots of Janome machines that will do the “hand look” stitches, but the M7 is the only one that can make EACH and every stitch slightly different. It’s one of the new features that Janome has and I’m sure it will be included on whatever comes next this fall or next year. It is really cool to see, but like I said previously, I haven’t had the time to try it yet. I’m driving myself crazy sewing disappearing 9-patch quilts.

Now to these quilts: Why I’m going so crazy, is that I love LOTS and lots of colour, so the putting together isn’t hard, but once I make those 9 patches disappear, I’m a little nuts, as I put stuff on the wall, look at it change it around and forget to take a picture before I do this, so you know how it goes from there. That was the first quilt, so the second I decided to modify the disappearing 9 patches and just sew two sides onto a square. That was a little better, but not much, but I have the top at the quilters, so I’m on quilt #3 and went back to the disappearing 9 patch and have decided to just use 2 colours in each block, but still lots of colour - like about 16 maybe more. So far it’s not got me in that crazy zone, but time will tell in the next day or two. I’m also trying to make these quilts “functional” meaning they have to fit a double or queen size bed. The nice thing about this design is that it goes together very quickly and my M7 is so good for getting a good 1/4” seam. That I found difficult when I used the 15000 before the HP foot. I really should learn how to free motion as these little girls are costing me a fortune - it’s a good thing I love them so much. Their parents have NO idea what the fabric costs and definitely not the batting, backing or quilting. I’m not complaining mind you as my kids are worth every penny I spend on them.

In making these 9 patches, I discovered (not that I hadn’t been told or saw a video) that the M7 has “The quilt advisor” and in it is a “9 Patch” selection, but I was to far into the process to use it as it requires 3 pieces - width of fabric sewn together and cross-cut. Now it might work also for just sewing 9 pieces together, but I don’t want to take the time to figure that out now that I have stuff up and ready to sew. I’ll investigate this further while watch TV with my computer on my lap or after this quilt top is put together. It takes a lot of squares to make a top that is 84” X 90” or there abouts.

Susan: You made a good choice and it was wise keeping your 6600 as it probably wouldn’t have given you much on trade - at least that has been my experience.

Must get back to putting those blocks together- this 9 year old had her birthday last week on the 11th so I’m behind already.

Cheryl - Saskatoon

SewingRose

Susan I'm sure you will love sewing on your 9450...was thinking of you yesterday when sewing on mine!  Keeping your 6600 as a backup is a good idea if you are sewing with different coloured thread and/or stitch etc.  My backup machine is a Brother PQ1500S (now with LED lighting, so technically an SL) and when I'm making jeans I do the seams on the 9450, seam finishes on the overlocker and topstitching on the Brother, this makes the whole process much quicker as you aren't re-threading etc for each stage, same goes for bags/jackets/etc.

Have fun ;-)