Diane's DIY magnetic hoop

Carole O'Mara

All the parts to make Diane's DIY magnetic hoop arrived.  After taping the mending brackets onto the GR hoop it was ready to go.   I used it to quilt the blocks with a double run design on a small quilt.  It was so easy--no trying to push the Janome included magnets onto the GR hoop and having them pop off--and much faster to complete.  Next will be to use an all-over design on a quilt as Diane demonstrated in her video.  Thank you Diane and Jim.
Carole -CO

Ceil J

I put it together too.  I had previously used other magnets that I taped on but Diane's choices made it much, much easier to remove the magnets and position the quilt.  I was more than 3/4 finished with an all over design on a twin sized quilt when I noticed that for the last 4 hoopings, the bottom tension was way too loose.  I didn't notice it (should have been paying better attention) and had to remove all 4 of them!  What I finally realized happened was that the upper thread, which had been in place for the rest of the hoopings, must have twisted itself in such a way that it was no longer in the tension discs.  This happened, perhaps coincidentally, when I changed bobbins so at first I assumed there was something wrong with the bobbin.  Testing one thing at a time and finally rethreading found the problem although the thread never came out of the arm or gave any indication that it wasn't in those discs.  I guess the bottom should have told me right away that the problem was with the top but it sure seemed obvious as the top looked the same but I had changed bobbins.  Moral of the story is that if I'm using the same thread spool for an extended period of time, I will now rethread every once in a while.  And again, Diane's system worked great!

Gail Berkler

I must have missed the video that Diane did but would like to know how I can order the magnets that Diane recommends as well as how to watch the video.
Thanks
Gail

On Mon, Mar 22, 2021 at 8:27 AM Ceil J <cjancola@...> wrote:
[...]

Which bobbin did you use?  I used the blue dot as Diane suggested.  I also used 50wt thread top and bottom.  Any suggestions if using a different thread?
Carole - CO

Jim Stutsman

Here's the video: https://youtu.be/DV9bDAYHOQg

iluvsew2

Please refresh my memory on how to get Diane's DIY magnet hoop instructions. TIA

Ceil J

I used the blue dot case too and the thread wasn't an issue as it successfully stitched out for most of the quilt.  I'm using Bottom Line for the bobbin and a cone of Robson-Anton. I have also used Superior's Micro quilting thread with Bottom Line with great results but wasn't sure that I had enough of the color I wanted.  It's fine now and I've almost finished.  I'm also careful to "floss" whenever I thread and thread with the door open.  Never had a problem like this before but I've never used the same thread for an entire quilt so, at this point, I have to think that the thread just somehow came out of the tension area for whatever reason.

On Mon, Mar 22, 2021 at 3:39 PM Carole O'Mara <caroleinco@...> wrote:
Which bobbin did you use?  I used the blue dot as Diane suggested.  I also used 50wt thread top and bottom.  Any suggestions if using a different thread?
Carole - CO

Debe

Wellll.... I hate to be the bearer of maybe bad news. This same problem started with my 15000 about a year ago. I coordinated Janome Club for my dealer & it happened once again while I was demonstrating a technique at club ( I had thought like you I had not threaded right or it came out of the tension system), all of a sudden the upper tension would just go, often I would hear a noise in what seemed like the thread cutter area. I would turn the machine off (may have to do this 1 or more times) & then it would work great for quite a while. My dealer looked at it that day & couldn't figure out what was wrong. He cleaned it & then it seemed to work good again. Then COVID hit & I didn't get it into the shop. It kept getting worse & worse. Then I started getting a message to lift the needle slowly &  turn off the machine when I turned the machine on. Well, my dealers wife started having the same problem & so they felt that it needed a new module. That was replaced & I quit getting the needle message but now the noise was even louder & then the upper tension would go again. Janome says they have never heard of this problem,. yet it has happened to both of our machines. He took her machine all apart & could not figure what it was but finally the Janome Tech says it probably needs a new tension system ( I think that is what they said). The last few times I tried sewing it would make an awful noise when I either used the thread cutter or sometimes when the pressure foot lifted automatically & then the tension would go again. The machine would have to be turned off for a few days before it would seem to right itself. In the mean time I have not sewn on my 15000 for almost a year as not sure if I could finish something or not before it had another temper tantrum.. I really liked the 15000 & how it embroidered as it was so good. So glad I have the reliability of the 12000 even though the quality of embroidery is better on the 15. Looks like all the gizmos I love may be the downfall of that machine. I am very disheartened to say the least. They are waiting for the part to come & will try it on her machine first & then if that fixes the problem they will do mine. So in the meantime I have a useless machine. Right now not sure I would recommend it to anyone.
Deb

Carole O'Mara

I've never tried  60 wt Bottom Line thread in the bobbin.  Can I use an Aurfil 50wt in top since the Bottom Line is finer?   I have used Wunderfil 100 wt but only for machine applique for a 'no show' effect.
Thanks,
Carole - CO

Ceil J

I've used all kinds of combos and they all seemed to work well.  What I always do is test them out first.  That way, if there is a problem, you'll be either able to tweek it or not use it.  I make up a large fabric sandwich to test as it really all depends on several factors including the stitch size the design has.  But I do find less problems with Bottom Line in the bobbin when embroidering with the blue dot case.  When I use the red dot case ON MY MACHINE the Janome bobbins and a package of maybe 60 my dealer sold to me, work best.  I have a wonderful dealer who adjusted my tension so it works best with both of these.  Not sure if that's true for every machine.

On Tue, Mar 23, 2021 at 9:57 PM Carole O'Mara <caroleinco@...> wrote:
I've never tried  60 wt Bottom Line thread in the bobbin.  Can I use an Aurfil 50wt in top since the Bottom Line is finer?   I have used Wunderfil 100 wt but only for machine applique for a 'no show' effect.
Thanks,
Carole - CO

favymtz

Bottom Line is a versatile thread, and it comes in so many colors.
I use it in the bobbin for almost all of my embroidery.
It's also great for the:
Hand look quilt stitch in the bobbin with mono-filament in the top.
Machine Applique
Machine Quilting (same thread top & Bobbin)
--
Favymtz

Kathy Strabel

Greetings----This may be a long shot, but I had an incident a few days ago with my S7 Janome making a loud squealing noise and got that message saying to slowly raise the needle bar, then turn the machine back on.  The S7 is a sewing-only, no embroidery.  I raised the needle bar, turned off the machine, turned it back on a minute later, but the tension was still amiss. As I pulled the upper thread spool off of the pin, I noticed that the thread had gotten caught in that little notch that some thread manufacturers put in the edge of the spool to keep the thread from un-spooling during storage, etc.  I have been told that the upper thread should always be placed on the spool pin so that the thread unreels from BENEATH the spool, not over the top of the spool. However, this particular spool looks like the thread was loaded onto it "backwards" , making it necessary to have the thread unreeling from over the top of the spool, and somehow the thread found that notch and was stretched very taut. Always be sure to slide the spool cap (AKA the unreeling disc) firmly to the right so that it holds the thread spool securely on the pin and also prevents the thread from getting in between the spool itself and the spool cap.  The spool cap should be at least the same diameter as the thread spool, or a little wider, so there is no gap between the spool and the spool cap. Give this a try and let us know if this turns out to be your problem as well.  BTW, the thread that I was using was my usual, go-to sewing thread---Coats and Clark Dual Duty.  Many other spools of that same type of thread have not given me any trouble, only this particular spool. So it is going in the trash.
Happy stitches to all!
Kathy Strabel   Camas WA

favymtz

Interesting that you say you always heard that the thread should come off the bottom not the top of the spool when in the horizontal position!
I always have heard and done the opposite, Off the Top! If possible.
And I just have always taken notice of which end of the spool has that little notch and turn it the other way so we don't have it get stuck.
I really don't think I've ever noticed that turning the spool one way or the other has affected my stitching.
Don't throw your spool away Kathy, just turn it around!
--
Favymtz

June E Hudspeth

Thank you so much for these great tips!

I never realized or thought about switching end of spool with notch; as it’s always frustrating when it gets caught.

June