Cutter Vinyls Question RE Janome Artistic Edge

Cat - N

For those who use/know about the Janome Artistic Edge cutter…

I used to use a 48” vinyl cutter and buying vinyl was pretty straight forward for those commercial machines. There weren’t lots of manufacturers making them and no ‘knock off’ vinyl products via Amazon, eBay, etc., so you could be pretty certain of a usable product that wouldn’t cause any harm. 

But today, some of the ‘home cutter’ manufacturers sell ‘branded’ vinyls as well as vinyls by companies I am not aware also make cutting machines. 

I have to admit it’s been a couple years since I read the info that came with my Artistic Edge 15, and being busy (vs lazy…lol), haven’t stolen the time to dig out or download the guide, but does anyone know if vinyls for/by Cricut, Siser, etc., are so specific to certain machines that they cannot be used with an Artistic Edge?

Does anyone have info on ‘best’ / favorite vinyls to use with an Artistic Edge?

Apologies for asking a question I could likely just call the manufacturer for the answer, but I I think I trust an Artistic Edge user’s word maybe just a bit more…and nothing much is more valuable IMHO than experience based favorites. 😁

Thanks!!!

- Cat

Typos courtesy of autocorrect. 

Lucy Akers

I bought a Cricut instead of the Edge because it didn't seem Janome was really supporting that machine anymore. I think the vinyls would be the same for either machine. I use Expressions Vinyl for specific colors or patterns and also buy from Amazon: HTVRont rolls are good and packages by JandJ. I have used all kinds and many brands and haven't really found any that I can point to that I didn't like! I did buy some Cricut brand on sale from Joanns and it is good but takes 30 seconds to adhere and then another 15 sec on the back, (I always do a second iron on the back anyway but 30 is bout twice as long as other brands). I didn't really answer your question but I hope this helps.

juliadlf.ny@...

I own the 15" also and have had it for many years. I had a couple of online vendors I would buy vinyl from. I bought from Expressions Vinyl and another company but can't recall the name. I haven't done vinyl in about 2 years and still have a stash of it. For the Artistic Edge I am now mainly using it for wool, fabric and paper. Different types of vinyl is for different projects and transferring methods. Have you joined the Janome Artistic Edge Digital Cutter Users Group on Facebook?

Cat - N

Thank you for this information, Lucy.  I have friends with other cutters who use them for crafting such as paper crafting, etc.  It's very good to know how some vinyls compare to others for adhesion, etc., too.

- Cat (FL)

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Sun, May 22, 2022 10:35 am

I bought a Cricut instead of the Edge because it didn't seem Janome was really supporting that machine anymore. I think the vinyls would be the same for either machine. I use Expressions Vinyl for specific colors or patterns and also buy from Amazon: HTVRont rolls are good and packages by JandJ. I have used all kinds and many brands and haven't really found any that I can point to that I didn't like! I did buy some Cricut brand on sale from Joanns and it is good but takes 30 seconds to adhere and then another 15 sec on the back, (I always do a second iron on the back anyway but 30 is bout twice as long as other brands). I didn't really answer your question but I hope this helps.

Cat - N

Thank you for the information and clarification.  I bought the Artistic Edge for fabric cutting, and the 15" for WiFi connectivity.  I do not do 'paper crafting' or etc. so have not looked at usability/applications for vinyl.  Thanks to this reply, I will read labels carefully before I purchase.  All of my previous purchases were for signage and other (large corporate) 'advertising' purposes, as can be guessed from the size of the large format cutter...LOL 

I did order the large 15" x 30" cutter mat some time ago, and a cutter mat support shelf from AU.  Having never cut on a desktop cutter, the shelf seemed like a superb idea to keep the larger mats from slipping and/or skewing as they enter the cutter while hanging off the edge.

Thank you also for the group info...I have absolutely not joined the Janome Artistic Edge Digital Cutter Users Group on Facebook...I never thought to look on Facebook for groups, since I rarely use FB for anything...but I will take a peek.  It might be an excellent fource of info in the future.

- Cat (FL)

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Sun, May 22, 2022 1:28 pm

I own the 15" also and have had it for many years. I had a couple of online vendors I would buy vinyl from. I bought from Expressions Vinyl and another company but can't recall the name. I haven't done vinyl in about 2 years and still have a stash of it. For the Artistic Edge I am now mainly using it for wool, fabric and paper. Different types of vinyl is for different projects and transferring methods. Have you joined the Janome Artistic Edge Digital Cutter Users Group on Facebook?
_._,_._,_