Continental M17 Followed me Home

Sheri-A

 I have enjoyed the 15000 for 8 years and before I had it, I didn't know what I was missing.  I expect the same with my M17.  My daughter has some recent major health issues (ovarian cancer) and I look to this machine to give me a distraction.  I was able to test drive on Thursday, slept on it, and was at the shop Friday morning when they opened.  I traded in my beloved 15000 and picked up my beautiful M17 (the last one they had available).  I expect a huge learning curve and I'm on what my husband calls the bleeding edge!

The stitching has been wonderful, and I expect a lot of good things.  The major obstacle I have to overcome is the machine is too big for the opening in my Kuala cabinet.  We plan to get a saw out....

What I've noticed so far is there is no longer a Horizon Link, but they have alternative tablet apps (both IOS and android) and a few desktop programs such as the stitch composer and screen saver.  There is not enough information about the apps (yet) -- mainly the Embroidery-Link which seems to replace the Embroidery editor in Horizon Link.  It looks more robust and part of my new learning curve.

I've only been using the machine a few hours, so I could be mistaken on these observations.  I found the bobbin warning is "on" or "off" with no warning.  I was quilting a quilt with straight line seams, would hear the beep and warning on the screen about the bobbin and I could not continue stitching.  I turned the bobbin warning off in settings, completed my seam and found the bobbin was almost out when I checked it at the end of the seam (10 inches).  It really feels like when you get the warning is when you need to change the bobbin.  I hope this will be improved with a software update.  I miss the warning the 15000 would give me and allow me to continue sewing. The second observation was as I was using the dual feed foot, I had to select dual feed button to engage the foot.  When you select dual feed, you can no longer set the foot to lift when you stop sewing.  If you select the foot lift function, you cannot select dual feed.

It's a good change and something to keep my mind occupied.

Sheri in Texas

Cat - N

Congratulations, Sheri. Enjoy the new M17. I’m not sure I could part with my 15000 if I decide to get the M17…I couldn’t give up my 11000 for the 15000 either but applaud your courage. I also understand the lack of space…my 15000 couldn’t fit into the cabinet for my 11000 either. I hope your daughter is doing well. That’s not anything fun to have or have a loved one have either but hopefully the lovely things you make with the M17 will help keep her on the road back to health.

- Cat

Typos courtesy of autocorrect.

On Apr 24, 2022 at 9:42 AM, <Sheri-A> wrote:

[...]

Pat

Congratulations, enjoy your new machine.  Love to see pictures of what you can do with it.

Pat Kowalczyk

On Sun, Apr 24, 2022 at 9:42 AM Sheri-A <sheri-a@...> wrote:
[...]

Carole O'Mara

Happy birthday to the birthday girls and all who have purchased the M17. I’ll be looking forward to seeing your posts and your creations. Congratulations all.

Carole

Judy Albert

What does the M17 list for? Did you trade in your 15000? Does anyone know what a MC 12000 trade in value?

Carolyn Gazerro

Website lists it for $22,999.

Wonder what trade in value is for $15000?

Sheri-A

I normally don't trade in because I can get a better deal selling myself.  I just don't have the desire to do that right now - especially the packing and shipping--so I just trusted the dealer to give me the best deal and put the burden on them to sell the 15000.  I think trade-ins on sewing machines are like trade-ins for cars where they will either give you a higher price and larger trade-in or lower price and less for the trade-in.  My net price with trade in was a little over $14,500 then I asked for a discount to pay cash ($500) and had to pay sales tax (over $1,000).

I know discounts are regional and I live in the Houston area where the dealer sells a lot of machines and I suspect gets a better price because of that.   I hope this helps.

SewingRose

Congratulations Sheri and fwiw I think a new machine will take your mind elsewhere, we all need to do that at times and sounds like now is the right time for you.  Best wishes to your daughter and hope life is on the up for your family now and you can have fun sewing and embroidering.

Look forward to your thoughts once you've got to sew more.  Thanks for the update so far.

Kathy Skagen <kagen48@...>

I think this is the perfect way for you to keep your mind occupied. Good for you. I hope that things go extremely well for your daughter. They can do so much more now than before.
Kathy

On Sunday, April 24, 2022, 08:42:56 AM CDT, Sheri-A <sheri-a@...> wrote:

[...]

royllsister@...

Congratulations Sheri! I particularly appreciate your sharing the details of your trade/purchase as I too live in Houston. Are you anywhere near the Champions or Cypress area? Enjoy your new machine!
Judy B

Sheri-A

Judy B,
I hesitate to give the store name since you may do better.  I talked to another local store today (a friend works there) and they are negotiating a deal that looks really attractive that includes the bundle with the sewing machine trolley.  I'm going to suggest you go to your favorite store and see what they will do.  At least you have a baseline - a price to beat.  Happy shopping.