Cloth Setter

nettieangood

I am wondering when Janome will come out with a clothsetter for the 12000. It seems strange to me that it isn't already available. I had one for the 8000, 10000 and 11000. It is their signature ultimate placement tool. Accurate placement for hoop-less embroidery using the grids is impossible. How do you embroider on napped or leather material? I LOVE the 12000 and would like to use it for challenging work.
Nettie

grandma

I went to my dealer and one of the gals showed me how to do EXACT placement of a design on the machine. It is fantastic and was right on the money. I don't think we need a clothsetting for the 12,000. But, maybe I am wrong.

Jim_Stutsman <jim@...>

As the hoops get larger, so does the Clothsetter. With the 11000 it was many months between the release of the machine and the Clothsetter table. I don't imagine it will be any different this time around.

If you print templates, then it is only necessary to get the fabric in the hoop so it is straight. The plastic lay-in template will guide you for that. Then, once you bring the design up on the screen, you can use the JOG arrow keys to move the hoop until the needle is directly over the crosshairs on your template. Then things will stitch exactly where you want them.

--- In janome12000@yahoogroups.com, "nettieangood" <aangood@...> wrote:

I am wondering when Janome will come out with a clothsetter for the 12000. It seems strange to me that it isn't already available. I had one for the 8000, 10000 and 11000. It is their signature ultimate placement tool. Accurate placement for hoop-less embroidery using the grids is impossible. How do you embroider on napped or leather material? I LOVE the 12000 and would like to use it for challenging work.
Nettie

Bea Rosier <bearosier@...>

It is my understanding that Janome has no plans to manufacture a clothsetter for the MC12000.  However, like Jim said, the plastic inserts that come with all our Janome hoops will help you do the very same thing, and they take less room in the sewing room.

theagedpage@...

I agree - I have always used my plastic inserts and hardly ever used the cloth setter on the 11000 - I used one on my 9500 but only because I was a very basic beginner and was told "I needed to"...the plastic inserts are great - especially if you print off a template first (that's even better, especially for beginners).
Linda

---- Bea Rosier <bearosier@tx.rr.com> wrote:
It is my understanding that Janome has no plans to manufacture a clothsetter
for the MC12000. However, like Jim said, the plastic inserts that come with
all our Janome hoops will help you do the very same thing, and they take
less room in the sewing room.

Jim_Stutsman <jim@...>

I've heard that from a number of 3rd party sources, but have yet to see it in any "official" statement from Janome. Until somebody at Janome publicly says it won't happen, I would suggest those who want a Clothsetter keep bugging them via the Janome website.

--- In janome12000@yahoogroups.com, "Bea Rosier" <bearosier@...> wrote:

It is my understanding that Janome has no plans to manufacture a clothsetter
for the MC12000. However, like Jim said, the plastic inserts that come with
all our Janome hoops will help you do the very same thing, and they take
less room in the sewing room.

Marsha

I agree, Nettie!  I went to the Janome site & filled out a request for one.  I can use the templates & crosshairs for most things but for very precise placement of the fabric on a multi-part large format picture design, nothing beats the clothsetter.  I don't know if I would have bought this machine if I had known they weren't going to have one.  So, my fingers are crossed that eventually they'll do one.

Marsha

Helen Brown

I will wait until they have a cloth setter before I buy a 12000. I use the 11000 cloth setter for all that I do.

Sent from my iPhone

On Jan 29, 2012, at 10:04 AM, "Marsha Lemmons" <hobbied1@...> wrote:

I agree, Nettie!  I went to the Janome site & filled out a request for one.  I can use the templates & crosshairs for most things but for very precise placement of the fabric on a multi-part large format picture design, nothing beats the clothsetter.  I don't know if I would have bought this machine if I had known they weren't going to have one.  So, my fingers are crossed that eventually they'll do one.

Marsha

Bea Rosier <bearosier@...>

I think you will all miss a great machine.  I purchased the 12000 in November, and I like it better than any of the others, and I still own the MC11000, as well as the MB4.  The MB4 has never had a cloth setter, and I haven’t had any trouble aligning my designs;  I rarely used the cloth setter with the MC11000 because it seemed to be too much trouble to get out that table just to use the cloth setter.  At that time, I also owned the MC6600 so I was using that table and didn’t have room for both of them.

I purchased the 7700  and traded it in on the MC12000 because it does everything and more than the 7700 did.

Of course, you’ll do what you want, but I think you’re missing a great machine of you choose not to buy it because of the cloth setter.

Julie

For those of you that think you can’t center a design without the clothsetter, I would ask you if you have ever tried lining up your embroidery by printing out a template and placing that on your project before lining up in the hoop.  It is the same thing as a clothsetter but so easy and so much less trouble than using a clothsetter.

If Janome does come out with a cloth setter for the 12k machine I won’t be buying it because it’s really not necessary, plus, a clothsetter for the 12k machine would have to be huge and the price to fit that.

If you started with Janome and either an 8000 or 9000 machine back in the 90’s there was no other way to line up embroidery other than the clothsetter because those machines for some reason did not start with the designs centered.  After Janome figured it out and realized with later machines that having the machine start with the design in the center was important, then a clothsetter was just an extra accessory that really wasn’t necessary.

Julie in TX

threadships

For the cloth setter question, you have completely missed the boat. We all know how to place out fabric IN the hoop and get it centered. Now go try doing the same thing, hooping the stabilizer and applying the fabric on top. We are talking hoopless embroidery. This is frequently required when embroidering a fabric which would be damaged by compressing it in a hoop. The hoop skids all over the table and you have no visible reference marks to tell you where center is. Even a template won't help if you can't line it up in the hoop. The clothsetter solved both problems. Three of my Christmas projects required this type of hooping. It took multiple tries to get the fabric centered close enough to fine tune it with the JOG keys. It was effortless with the clothsetter that I am accustomed to using on my previous Janome machines. A large sheet of skidproof shelfliner on the table helps to stabilize the hoop however.

--- In janome12000@yahoogroups.com, "Julie" <jjems@...> wrote:

[...]

I don't ever hoop anything but rather do the method you are talking about. If you print out a template of your design and place it on your project with the cross hairs appearing on the template you can place it on top of your stabilizer that is hooped and line up everything that way. I make sure that I've drawn the cross lines on my stabilizer that is under my fabric and in the hoop and match the template to those lines. It is hard to change things that you are used to and try different methods but I've done a huge number of lined up designs that had to match both sides of jackets and they were all done without the clothsetter. If Janome does come out with one for the 12000 machine it will have to be huge and probably in a $$ range that most people don't want to pay. I do have a lot of Janome friends that feel like you do and can't live without it so I hear what you are saying. When I have time I'll put pictues up of clothing where multiple designs had to match and it was done without a clothsetter.

Julie in TX