Topics

cleaning needle

Carole O'Mara

I am using a fusible web (name brand)  for appliqué.  It is leaving a residue on the needle and gumming it up, causing skipped stitches and thread fraying.  What can I use to clean the needle?

Thanks,
Carole

mimi jo

I use alcohol on a cotton Q-tip to clean gummy needles.
Jo Ann Levert

J Fraker

Nail polish remover with acetone works well.  I'd take the needle out first so you don't get any on your machine.

On Mon, Jun 24, 2019 at 1:37 PM Carole O'Mara <caroleinco@...> wrote:
I am using a fusible web (name brand)  for appliqué.  It is leaving a residue on the needle and gumming it up, causing skipped stitches and thread fraying.  What can I use to clean the needle?

Thanks,
Carole

Lyn Quine

I use silicon spray on a cloth to wipe needles

Virginia

I use alcohol swaps. They come individual packets in the pharmacy dept. Nail polish remover has acetone in it. Be careful.

Sent from my Sprint Samsung Galaxy S7.

Nail polish remover with acetone works well.  I'd take the needle out first so you don't get any on your machine.

On Mon, Jun 24, 2019 at 1:37 PM Carole O'Mara <caroleinco@...> wrote:
I am using a fusible web (name brand)  for appliqué.  It is leaving a residue on the needle and gumming it up, causing skipped stitches and thread fraying.  What can I use to clean the needle?

Thanks,
Carole

Tracy

Carole-

Not sure which name brand product you are using - but if the glue is leaving you with a sticky needle - clean it off with either an alcohol swab (buy a box any where you can get first aid supplies) by swiping from the top of the needle down to the point.  It may take a couple times.

One of the other things I use and works well to keep a needle from getting sticky....  Sewing machine oil!  Wipe the needle down with this on a tissue and it will keep your needle from getting sticky again.  I've heard that it will remove the sticky stuff from the needle.... but admit that I cleaned off my needle last time I had a sticky one - by using an alcohol swab first.  Then wiped it down with oil and was impressed.  Kept the needle from letting the sticky stuff get on it again for a long time.  When I changed my needle and was still doing applique- I just wiped it down before even starting and didn't have a problem.

Tracy in Nashville, TN

Martha Pullen Licensed Educator