Topics

cleaning needle

Carole O'Mara

I am using a fusible web (name brand)  for appliqué.  It is leaving a residue on the needle and gumming it up, causing skipped stitches and thread fraying.  What can I use to clean the needle?  

Thanks,
Carole

mimi jo

I use alcohol on a cotton Q-tip to clean gummy needles.
Jo Ann Levert

J Fraker

Nail polish remover with acetone works well.  I'd take the needle out first so you don't get any on your machine.

On Mon, Jun 24, 2019 at 1:37 PM Carole O'Mara <caroleinco@...> wrote:
I am using a fusible web (name brand)  for appliqué.  It is leaving a residue on the needle and gumming it up, causing skipped stitches and thread fraying.  What can I use to clean the needle?  

Thanks,
Carole

Lyn Quine

I use silicon spray on a cloth to wipe needles

Virginia

I use alcohol swaps. They come individual packets in the pharmacy dept. Nail polish remover has acetone in it. Be careful. 

Sent from my Sprint Samsung Galaxy S7.

-------- Original message --------
Date: 6/24/19 1:47 PM (GMT-05:00)
To: onlinesewing-janome@groups.io
Subject: Re: [onlinesewing-janome] cleaning needle

Nail polish remover with acetone works well.  I'd take the needle out first so you don't get any on your machine.

On Mon, Jun 24, 2019 at 1:37 PM Carole O'Mara <caroleinco@...> wrote:
I am using a fusible web (name brand)  for appliqué.  It is leaving a residue on the needle and gumming it up, causing skipped stitches and thread fraying.  What can I use to clean the needle?  

Thanks,
Carole

Tracy

Carole-

Not sure which name brand product you are using - but if the glue is leaving you with a sticky needle - clean it off with either an alcohol swab (buy a box any where you can get first aid supplies) by swiping from the top of the needle down to the point.  It may take a couple times.  

One of the other things I use and works well to keep a needle from getting sticky....  Sewing machine oil!  Wipe the needle down with this on a tissue and it will keep your needle from getting sticky again.  I've heard that it will remove the sticky stuff from the needle.... but admit that I cleaned off my needle last time I had a sticky one - by using an alcohol swab first.  Then wiped it down with oil and was impressed.  Kept the needle from letting the sticky stuff get on it again for a long time.  When I changed my needle and was still doing applique- I just wiped it down before even starting and didn't have a problem.

Tracy in Nashville, TN

Martha Pullen Licensed Educator