Topics

Checking in

Jim Stutsman

It's been quiet for a day or two, so I'm just checking to see how everyone is doing. This is probably the most challenging time any of us have had or will ever experience. A lot of us had parents who grew up during the Great Depression in the 1930s. The impact of that affected them, and even those of us that were raised by them. I still have a very hard time throwing anything away if there's even a remote chance of needing it again. Our current unemployment rate has exceeded what it was then, so let's help whomever we can, whenever we can.

Props to Janome for offering live events online, as well as a trial of Artistic Digitizer. And if you don't already follow the Janome Canada blog, you should. Those ladies do an amazing job.

Stay safe!

Suzanne Martin

I downloaded the Artistic Digitizer trial program. It's very impressive and has great tutorials.  Hoping the purchase price is reasonable!

Thank you!
Suzanne Martin, GRI
Associate Broker
Charles Rutenberg LLC
suzmar45@...
(407) 234-6906

Beth

Jim - we are sheltering in place like everyone - I have been making masks for family/friends/front line workers and several companies for their employees. Have taken a break to finish a graduation quilt for my granddaughter and a baby quilt for my great granddaughter 😄

Patricia Ward

Hi Everyone,
Jim, I have been staying home and actually enjoying myself if I don't turn on the news to hear the sadness that really permeates the entire US at this time. Here in our state the unemployment website is not done right and people can't get in to sign up and it is tragic to hear of families not having even enough to buy food.  But thankfully people have opened their hearts and are donating to all of the food bank drives with money and nonperishable goods.  Some people have been unemployed for 3- 4 weeks and still waiting on an unemployment check.

It is really hard to believe that we have gotten to this point here in the US that things are worse than the Great Depression with the economy.

The Janome live FB classes have been interesting and well done.  Anne's Artistic Digitizer lessons are very helpful and it looks as though many are giving it a try.
One class that I really found interesting and helpful was Kimberly's tapered stitch demo.

My projects have included masks for family members and some friends,  embroidery on blocks for wallhangings and now I am doing filler blocks and waiting for some online fabrics to arrive via mail.  I sure miss not being able to drive to a quilt shop and select the blenders and borders that I need.

I agree about the Janome Canada blog and have gotten Liz's newsletters for some time now.

If it ever warms up, then I will be able to do outside gardening work.

Everyone stay well and stay safe.

Pat

On Tue, May 12, 2020 at 8:24 AM Jim Stutsman via groups.io <onlinesewing=icloud.com@groups.io> wrote:
It's been quiet for a day or two, so I'm just checking to see how everyone is doing. This is probably the most challenging time any of us have had or will ever experience. A lot of us had parents who grew up during the Great Depression in the 1930s. The impact of that affected them, and even those of us that were raised by them. I still have a very hard time throwing anything away if there's even a remote chance of needing it again. Our current unemployment rate has exceeded what it was then, so let's help whomever we can, whenever we can.

Props to Janome for offering live events online, as well as a trial of Artistic Digitizer. And if you don't already follow the Janome Canada blog, you should. Those ladies do an amazing job.

Stay safe!

Barbara Wolcott

Good morning Jim and everyone.
I hope everyone is doing well. It has been difficult. I’ve had to move in with my oldest son in Chicago because another son living with me is a registered nurse working in  Covid Unit. Hope to be home some day as that’s where all my sewing supplies are. I am thankful for all those working on solutions to this virus and am confident they will have answers soon. I think it is marvelous that so many have been generous in  offering learning events.
May we all stay well and look forward to better times.

Barbara Wolcott
barb2220@...

On May 12, 2020, at 7:24 AM, Jim Stutsman via groups.io <onlinesewing@...> wrote:

It's been quiet for a day or two, so I'm just checking to see how everyone is doing. This is probably the most challenging time any of us have had or will ever experience. A lot of us had parents who grew up during the Great Depression in the 1930s. The impact of that affected them, and even those of us that were raised by them. I still have a very hard time throwing anything away if there's even a remote chance of needing it again. Our current unemployment rate has exceeded what it was then, so let's help whomever we can, whenever we can.

Props to Janome for offering live events online, as well as a trial of Artistic Digitizer. And if you don't already follow the Janome Canada blog, you should. Those ladies do an amazing job.

Stay safe!

Shirley Allen

Thank you Jim & Diane for hanging in there for us.  I read your e-mails everyday & look forward to seeing them, plus I usually learn something from them.  Yes.  it has been trying times & I remember well my mother's stories about the deep depression.  It affected her whole life & she never throw away anything.  Iam so glad I learned to sew early by my grandmother, because it has always helped me when I needed it.  I have kept busy making masks for friends relatives & so on.  And I am completing some quilts & some of my UFO's.  So I am not bored I have plenty to do & a reason to do it.  Lets hope this will end soon & we will all learn from it & how precious our love ones are & to be continually kind to everyone in our paths.  Hope you & your family stay well & all who read this e-mail .  Shirley from NJ

Claire Schutz

Hello Jim, missed us? Not to worry, we are here, many making masks.  I personally want to thank you for letting me know why I save everything.  Throw away, never, give away yes.(of course only after you keep for many years). I have to make a decision about a new IPad, have the 15K Quiltmaker and would like your suggestions. Need to add new versions of some of your apps as I have the original free IPad.  Appreciate all you  and Diane do for us, THANKS!  Claire S.

On 5/12/2020 7:21 AM, Jim Stutsman via groups.io wrote:
It's been quiet for a day or two, so I'm just checking to see how everyone is doing. This is probably the most challenging time any of us have had or will ever experience. A lot of us had parents who grew up during the Great Depression in the 1930s. The impact of that affected them, and even those of us that were raised by them. I still have a very hard time throwing anything away if there's even a remote chance of needing it again. Our current unemployment rate has exceeded what it was then, so let's help whomever we can, whenever we can.

Props to Janome for offering live events online, as well as a trial of Artistic Digitizer. And if you don't already follow the Janome Canada blog, you should. Those ladies do an amazing job.

Stay safe!

zeekabo <Zeekabo@...>

Dear Jim,
My mother reused and saved everything and I’m trying to fight the saving bug she passed on to me. But it served me well recently, I made a wide variety of pretty face masks using my too nice to throw away basket.
I do have one question I hope you can answer. I wanted to change the screen saver pictures on my 15000 but the screen saver app would only allow me to choose the last 3 pictures I took.  I’ve always been able to change all 5. Do you have any idea  why this is happening? Not the end of the world but I have more grandchildren to add. 😊
Thank you

Ceil J

Thank you, Jim and it's good to hear that you and Diane are well.
Yes, my husband and I keep everything too!  My husband refers to his "stash" as the hardware store and very often completes projects with saved items.  My stash is shameful but I sure have no problem finding something with which to make masks.  It's also fun from time to time to reorganize and find some of the non-sewing things I have squirreled away.
I joined a volunteer group here in VT but after making 50 using their pattern had to stop as it was too stressful on my hands as they had to be turned inside out and they used a stiff fabric for the liner.
Although it snowed again last night, we've been working outside a lot to get several vegetable gardens ready and I haven't been doing much sewing.
RE: Artistic Digitizer.  I did download it but haven't watched too many videos.  Many seem very successful with their Paintstitch section, but mine are awful.  I did buy Hatch2 a year ago October during their big sale so it's unlikely AD has much to offer me, although I would like to find the time to give the cross stitch conversion a try.  Anne is just fantastic but it's difficult to transition between programs for me and I'm not sure it's worth the time to try to learn what I need.
But you hadn't posted for a time a little while back so I did wonder if you were safe.
Ceil
Again, glad to hear that both of you are and hope you can remain so during this time.

[...]

Amazon has the latest generation of iPads at good prices. Don't get the smallest (32GB), but the next biggest should be fine. Pick the size that works for you. Sadly your iPad 2, or maybe iPad 4 depending on when you got it, is not able to run most of the latest apps. Sadly the pace of software runs much faster than the ability of the hardware to keep up. To make it worse, the battery in an iPad is pretty much not replaceable. The screen is glued on and getting it open is pretty much out of the question. Expect a lifetime of 3-5 years before it either expires is becomes hopelessly obsolete. Ironically the iPhone does have a replaceable battery, though that is not for the faint of heart. I recently attempted to replace the battery on an iPhone 7 so I could use it for development. The process seemed to go smoothly once I got past the adhesive seal making it waterproof. However when I finished putting in the new battery the Home button & Touch ID no longer work. Should have just paid Apple to do it!

Cat - N

Hi, and thank you for checking in on us.  I am just busy...nothing to do with the current 'world over' situation.  We've had some home construction projects going on because of stuff that happened. I did get two Valentine's Day table toppers, and two St. Patrick's Day table toppers done, but couldn't get my two Easter/Spring table toppers even started beyond dragging out the fabrics. I am currently making two Patriotic table toppers, and need to finish the two quilts for my baby granddaughter, who will be two on July 1, and my great-granddaughter, who just turned one...still have some quilting to do on them, part of which I will do ITH.  The bindings are ready to go as soon as the quilting is done, so hoping to finish the quilts as soon as the toppers are done...I'd like to have them ready for Memorial Day...maybe a bit of wishful thinking there...LOL  I did have to go out and buy some fabric for backing and binding...it was torture but I left all but two bolts of fabric there, and all but five little girls dress patterns in the store as well.

I appreciated seeing the comments on the webinars...thanks to Janome!  I hope I can get to see some of them.

I also understand 'keeping everything' because my parents and grandparents went through that awful time.  I try to be reasonable and pass on to someone else those things that I do not believe I will need again, but some things you just gotta keep 'in case you need them later' and often...you do...especially if you gave them away and are wishing you hadn't!

I have seen some of that Blog and will get back to it, I hope...just don't get much time to myself, or concentration...it is usually very late when I can do things I want to do, and I am too tired from long, busy days.  I haven't checked into the Artistic Digitizer yet, but I have Hatch v.2 and the Artistic 15 cutter with it's software, so I should have plenty to do if I ever get the time again.

- Cat

It's been quiet for a day or two, so I'm just checking to see how everyone is doing. This is probably the most challenging time any of us have had or will ever experience. A lot of us had parents who grew up during the Great Depression in the 1930s. The impact of that affected them, and even those of us that were raised by them. I still have a very hard time throwing anything away if there's even a remote chance of needing it again. Our current unemployment rate has exceeded what it was then, so let's help whomever we can, whenever we can.

Props to Janome for offering live events online, as well as a trial of Artistic Digitizer. And if you don't already follow the Janome Canada blog, you should. Those ladies do an amazing job.

Stay safe!

Karen Cone

My too nice to throw away stash came in quite handy when I started making masks for our local hospital, nursing homes, infusion centers, family, neighbors and friends.  I’ve made and donated 225 masks so far.  Just can’t get elastic! But I’m working on it.  Stay safe everyone!  Hugs
Karen

On Tue, May 12, 2020 at 3:34 PM Jim Stutsman via groups.io <onlinesewing=icloud.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Mary Sanerkin

My stash is dwindling (thankfully) as I am making lots of masks.  Agreed it is difficult to get elastic so I have resorted to making them with ties.  Seems to work OK.  Well at least no complaints so far !

Advice in the UK re the virus is a bit muddled at the moment as we don’t know if we should stay in or go out.  Advice is ambiguous.  Let common sense prevail!

Hope everyone is staying safe

On 13 May 2020, at 14:26, Karen Cone <kcorgc@...> wrote:

[...]

JoAnn Novak

Go out!  The best thing for sickness is SUNSHINE & FRESH AIR.  You strengthen the immune system & get vitamins A & D.

  Win Win all around.   JoAnn

On 5/13/2020 9:14 AM, Mary Sanerkin via groups.io wrote:
My stash is dwindling (thankfully) as I am making lots of masks.  Agreed it is difficult to get elastic so I have resorted to making them with ties.  Seems to work OK.  Well at least no complaints so far !

Advice in the UK re the virus is a bit muddled at the moment as we don’t know if we should stay in or go out.  Advice is ambiguous.  Let common sense prevail!

Hope everyone is staying safe

On 13 May 2020, at 14:26, Karen Cone <kcorgc@gmail.com> wrote:

Carole Hollmann

Hi, Jim and All --

I don't participate with the group very much, but I do read every post and enjoy thoroughly hearing from all the sewers and receiving Jim and Diane's advice that can't be found anywhere else.  Since we have traveled quite a bit, I love reading sewers' posts from around the world!

My husband and I were both raised by parents who went through the Great Depression. It has colored our entire lives--but not necessarily in a bad way.  The stories we heard caused us not to waste, to be thoughtful about what we buy, and to save every extra penny.  We haven't done those things in a paranoid way; instead, we had an awareness that it could happen again at any time and prepared the best we could.  Downton Abbey got me interested in the Spanish Flu and I have since read quite a bit about it.  Certainly made me realize that such a pandemic was likely not a one-time deal either.

We listen (almost exclusively) to news broadcasts other than those in the USA.  We listen to broadcasts from UK, Japan, Germany, and France.  Because of that, it gave us a head start on this mess. While our government was saying "no problem," in January, I was running around stocking up and ticking off things that needed to be done.  On my to-do list was my yearly mammogram.  Thank God I got it in before the testing stopped.  Yes, it was cancer.  However, because of the growing pandemic, I have been pushed and pulled through the processes of scans, surgeries, tests, treatment, etc., at breakneck speed in order to outrun the virus. I have received such fabulous care that I can't even type about it without tearing up.

On the sewing side, being in the house so much has allowed me to dust off my Janome 15000.  I have had a love/hate relationship with it for the 5+ years I've owned it.  It balks at sewing masks with any bulk at all and leaves the often described blob at the beginning of each seam unless I use  a scrap of fabric to start.  I've lately resorted to putting Sewers Aid on the needle before sewing the pleats.  I have seriously considered chucking it out the nearest window on several occasions.  Speaking of masks, as my stash of elastic and nose-piece material (Christmas ornament hangers work great) has dwindled, and after multiple false online orders, I finally received a supply of elastic and bendable nose pieces from Amazon, so I can continue sewing masks and cursing the machine.

In our area (Cincinnati, Ohio, USA), as restrictions are lifted, people go out and socialize elbow-to-elbow as if nothing happened or could happen.  I don't get it, but I think my husband and I will be in our house for quite a while and have possibly taken our last trip abroad.  But I have to say, we are so grateful that we live in an area where we have wonderful neighbors, a yard so we can get outside, and contact-free pickup and delivery of almost everything (except elastic and nose pieces).  Our grown children, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren are all well--although all face their own problems--and they are well.  All these things we have--and many more--are wonderful blessings.

My husband and I have laughed hysterically at some of the corona-virus funnies on line (because they're spot on) and sometimes sob because others don't have what we have.  I pray this group will continue to stay safe and have everything needed to survive this difficult time, and I thank all of you for the many, many posts that are so interesting!

Carole Hollmann

Cheryl Paul

Hi Everyone,

In Saskatchewan, we have very cold weather in the winter, so when this COVID-19 started we weren’t particularly handicapped as going out isn’t something we do if it isn’t necessary. Going to church was probably my biggest hurdle to get through, but our Bishop and the priests in our city put up videos of Mass every week, so we are only missing out on the physical presence in the church. I’ve got to attend Mass at many parishes in the mean time and haven’t been to Mass so many times on a Sunday as I have for the last 8 or so weeks.

Now after watching more TV than any human should watch in a lifetime, I’ve decided that ENOUGH. I had started a quilt last summer with my grand daughter Julia age 9 at the time. She helped sew blocks together on a couple of days in July. She didn’t seem to get time to come over so I’m finishing it. Of course, it was way to small, so I started growing it, and growing it some more. I couldn’t just put up enough blocks on my design wall (a flannel sheet hanging on the wall in the kitchen/dining room) - that would have been to easy, so I ended up adding rows and columns THREE times and then 3 more borders to that. It still won’t be a big as I’d like it, but I’m so stressed trying not to get colours touching each other - by the way that didn’t work and there are many that are touching, but it looks good. The block I used was the disappearing 9-patch and I’m going to do 2 more of the same. However, I am going to attack it quite differently and get the advise of someone who really loves quilting and can point me in the right direction. Julia’s quilt is “wild” and colourful - that was maybe part of my stress as there was no rhyme nor reason to how it was constructed - NO RULES at all. How can you guess that “quilting” isn’t my strong suit?

In my sewing world, I worked a little on a class quilt which will turn into small wall hanging, made a jacket from sweatshirt fleece - turned out beautifully, and have another sweater that just needs buttons and buttonholes - but I need to get to Fabricland to get some buttons as I don’t have 5 or 6 black 3/4” buttons in my button stash. Fabricland is some time away from opening as they are in a Mall and Malls are off limits here at the moment. Perhaps one of my quilt shops will have some and they are opening in a limited capacity next week. So I have been trying to spend a few hours each day at my new Janome Continental M9 machine - I love that machine. The 15000 and Skyline S9 are sitting idle, but I’ll have to dust them off or they will not co-operate when I do want to use them - they’ll pout or refuse to allow me near them and jam up when I hit the foot pedal.

I’m glad to hear from everyone on this forum and see how we are all making out in these difficult times. Hopefully, things will get better, but I expect that a NEW normal will be they way it will be at least for some time to come.

Cheryl - Saskatoon

Teressa Sisemore

Hi Jim.

I am trying to get reacquainted with my sewing room since I have taken time off from flying with the airline I work for.

it’s been a long time since I had been in there!
of course one of the first things I did on my 15000 was accidentally hit the needle threader while the needle position had been moved left.  Now the Needle threader doesn’t work. Oh well, I needed to take it in for the update anyway but no dealers close to me. 🤷🏼‍♀️ Luckily my hand is still steady enough to thread it myself for now. 😂
hi to Diane!

Teressa

Ceil J

Carole,
I am so sorry to learn of your cancer.  I'm glad that you were able to get what sounds like a great treatment and result.  My reminder came after we had already decided to quarantine so now I'm overdue.
I have been very fortunate too in that we live in a semi-rural area with lots of space and have a daughter and her dear husband nearby who shop for us.  But I did realize the threat soon too and prepared for it.  But didn't think that I'd need 1/4 inch elastic or that I didn't have a bunch of it somewhere.  I cut up an old tee shirt into 1 inch strips and it worked great for the ties.
I've never used a machine that didn't leave that blob at the beginning unless you hold the thread or use a leader, and I even tested for that when I did my new machine search.  I have another mechanical machine that I used for the masks as I knew that making them would generate a lot of link.  I ended up cleaning the bobbin area every time I changed the bobbin (which I usually do anyway, and it was quite a mess each time.
Where I live people are mostly good about wearing masks but not all.  We will not venture out even though my husband complains that he's starting to sport a Boris Johnson hairdo. Fortunately, I let my roots grow in about 10 years ago or I'd look like a skunk right now. :)
I wish you well.  Stay safe.
Ceil

Cat - N

Smile

- Cat (FL)

  Go out!  The best thing for sickness is SUNSHINE & FRESH AIR.  You
strengthen the immune system & get vitamins A & D.

  Win Win all around.   JoAnn

On 5/13/2020 9:14 AM, Mary Sanerkin via groups.io wrote:
> My stash is dwindling (thankfully) as I am making lots of masks.
>  Agreed it is difficult to get elastic so I have resorted to making
> them with ties.  Seems to work OK.  Well at least no complaints so far !
>
> Advice in the UK re the virus is a bit muddled at the moment as we
> don’t know if we should stay in or go out.  Advice is ambiguous.  Let
> common sense prevail!
>
> Hope everyone is staying safe
>

>> On 13 May 2020, at 14:26, Karen Cone <kcorgc@...> wrote:

vicki J. Wardwell <vjw_65@...>

Karen send me your address I have too much elastic and mailers
my pattern uses no elastic.till I get to the in the embroidery hoop masks.
--
Vicki Jane Hull- Wardwell