Can't get the needle bar to move

Sally Silvers

I was sewing along beautifully on my Tin Lizzie 18 until the top thread broke.  Then my machine jammed.  The motor hums, but I can't get the needle to move up or down.  I would sure appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks!
Sally

Jim Stutsman

There are a couple of things that could have happened. Depending on where the thread was when it broke, it may have caught between the hook and the hook race. Remove the bobbin case. You should be able to remove the hook. I’m not familiar with that machine, but there are usually a couple of spring clips that hold the cover over the hook. If you take out the hook you should be able to move the needle bar.

The other possibility is that the free end of the broken thread got pulled into the machine by the hand wheel and wrapped around the shaft. This is unlikely, but it can happen. Depending on how much thread got pulled in, that can be challenging to remove. You may need dealer assistance, though it’s not likely to be the cause.

Sally Silvers

Jim, thank you so much.  Just knowing you would respond, I was able to sleep last night.  This morning, with the machine off, the bobbin removed and making sure there was no thread in the hook race, I was able to move the needle manually with the  hand wheel.  That did the trick!  I wouldn't have thought of that without your kind response.  I'm very grateful!

Cat - N

A similar thing happened here a few years ago with hubby's long arm (made by Tin Lizzy) and it was thread in the bobbin area that caused it, too. I didn't know there was any issue at first because it took hubby by such surprise that he immediately called tech support...his long arm was very new when it happened, and we'd had a couple of the new parts that we bought with it (upgraded tablet controller and quilting robot) replaced because they didn't work correctly  We'd even wondered if we'd been accidentally shipped a machine/system that had been returned for having 'infant mortality' issues.

I’m glad your machine is going again.

- Cat

Sally Silvers

My machine is  Tin Lizzie 18, too.  It has served me well with light use (life gets in the way) and even surviving a move.  My one complaint is that I can't see where I'm going when I stitch backwards.  I'm short, only about 5' and think maybe if Lizzie were lower, I'd see better.  Any suggestions would be welcome.

Kathy Skagen

I have never seen a Tin Lizzie but would a chair that has an adjustable seat that can be raised help? I'm 5'3 and that helps me with my regular sewing machines.

On Tuesday, June 15, 2021, 10:55:53 AM CDT, Sally Silvers <salsewsart@...> wrote:

My machine is  Tin Lizzie 18, too.  It has served me well with light use (life gets in the way) and even surviving a move.  My one complaint is that I can't see where I'm going when I stitch backwards.  I'm short, only about 5' and think maybe if Lizzie were lower, I'd see better.  Any suggestions would be welcome.

Cat - N

Is your frame height adjustable? If so, maybe lower it…which will lower the machine, too.

Is anything else blocking view…presser foot…inadequate lighting?   We got a clear presser foot that is rounded in the underside and use that except for rulers.

- Cat

Typos courtesy of autocorrect.

On Jun 15, 2021 at 11:55 AM, <Sally Silvers> wrote:

My machine is  Tin Lizzie 18, too.  It has served me well with light use (life gets in the way) and even surviving a move.  My one complaint is that I can't see where I'm going when I stitch backwards.  I'm short, only about 5' and think maybe if Lizzie were lower, I'd see better.  Any suggestions would be welcome.

Cat - N

A Tin Lizzie 18 is a long arm quilter with an 18” throat. The 15000 has 11” to the right of the needle but the throat on a long arm is to the back of the machine. A long arm moves over a quilt on a frame. The quilt moves under the needle on the 15000. We have a stool nearby, but use it for resting and watching the robot quilt…not for free or ruler quilting.

On Jun 15, 2021 at 12:15 PM, <Kathy Skagen> wrote:

I have never seen a Tin Lizzie but would a chair that has an adjustable seat that can be raised help? I'm 5'3 and that helps me with my regular sewing machines.

On Tuesday, June 15, 2021, 10:55:53 AM CDT, Sally Silvers <salsewsart@...> wrote:

My machine is  Tin Lizzie 18, too.  It has served me well with light use (life gets in the way) and even surviving a move.  My one complaint is that I can't see where I'm going when I stitch backwards.  I'm short, only about 5' and think maybe if Lizzie were lower, I'd see better.  Any suggestions would be welcome.

Kathy Skagen

Sounds amazing for quilters!