Date: 1/31/2012 10:19:40 AM
Subject: [janome12000] Re: Calibrate Hoops and Free Arm Hoop

Joy nailed it in her post. The point of calibration is to make sure that what the machine thinks is the center of your hoop really is the center. Normally you would only need to do it once, preferably right out of the box, but in servicing the machine the base usually gets removed and may be replaced in a very slightly different alignment. So after a service it would be advisable to check the hoops.

The book is sadly deficient on this topic. Logic would dictate that all hoops should have the same center, since they all attach to the same connector. However it appears that the free arm hoop is just a bit different and requires separate calibration.

--- In janome12000@..., vicki chrobak wrote:

> OK, Jim forgive forgive the ignorance of this question. Am I supposed
> to calibrate every hoop every time I do a design? And could you define
> exactly what you mean by calibrate. I have only had 2 problems -- once
> when the design wasn't centered (may have been operator error) & the 2nd
> when I didn't see that I needed a larger hoop for the design.
>
> --
> Vicki Jo

Jim_Stutsman <jim@...>

The only calibration option for the 11000 is in the diagnostics accessible only to technicians. It's easy enough to check. Just put a hoop on the machine, open a design sized for that hoop, and put the plastic template in the hoop. The needle should pass through the hole in the template, but it does not have to be in the exact center of the template. It's been my experience that when the needle doesn't clear the hole on the 11000, the hoop attaching bracket needs adjusting.

--- In janome12000@yahoogroups.com, "Anna C Simon" <rbs11739@...> wrote:

Hi Jim,

Is this something that needs to be done with the 11000?

Ann Simon
Our Etsy store
http://www.etsy.com/people/dessimon

Donna Morton

Just a check, didn’t the Version 3 MC11000 upgrade include the ability to calibrate hoops?  I don’t have access to a Version 3 MC11000 to check.

Donna M
Canada

Sent: Tuesday, January 31, 2012 3:09 PM
Subject: [janome12000] Re: Calibrate Hoops

--- In mailto:janome12000%40yahoogroups.com, "Anna C Simon" wrote:

> Hi Jim,
>
> Is this something that needs to be done with the 11000?
>

> Ann Simon
> Our Etsy store
> http://www.etsy.com/people/dessimon

Sheila <rainbird@...>

Yes, Donna, you are quite correct.  The V3 upgrade does give us the ability to calibrate the hoops of the 11000.

I would like to warn, however, that you shouldn't try to calibrate with the ASQ or AQ (quilting) hoops as there is too much play in the plastic templates to be accurate - you can move the templates almost a 1/4 inch from side to side.  Calibrate with the normal hoops and it will (hopefully) be right for the quilting hoops.

I am still reading this group's emails while trying to decide whether I really do need to upgrade from the 11000 (and 10000) to the 12000 machine.  At the moment I am still in love with my 11000 but perhaps the time will come when I will feel I have just got to have the 12000.

Sheila
Western Australia

Just a check, didn’t the Version 3 MC11000 upgrade include the ability to calibrate hoops?  I don’t have access to a Version 3 MC11000 to check.

Donna M
Canada

Liz

I didn't Calibrate my hoops when I got my 12000 and they all line up with the template. Should I do this anyway?? Thanks Liz

Jim_Stutsman <jim@...>

Wow, only a year since I last worked on an 11000 and I've already forgotten that! Thanks for the reminder.