Cabin Fever and technology

Cheryl Paul

Happy Easter, Everyone.

In Saskatoon, I can report SUNSHINE but a bit on the chilly side as it is several degrees below freezing and we still have the white stuff otherwise known as snow.

I just had to shout out a BE QUIET to my children and the oldest is 48 and the youngest is 4 with 2 between those ages.  They are trying to set up a "cousins" FaceTime or the media means for a get together this afternoon.  This started at about 9:00 am and I don't know how many texts I've gotten from then until now.  I plan to watch our church service at Noon and really don't want that noise distraction - I know I can silence my ringer, but then I forget to turn it on.  Jim and I would like to participate in this media thing, but I only need to know "how to" and "when" for that to happen.  Why I say "How to" is because all aren't smart enough (meaning "the boy" and oldest) to own an iPhone or iPad.  His wife has an iPhone but I think its as old as the hills and she only EVER uses it for emergencies.  My son and his family also have gone to "the farm" which belonged to her Grandma until she passed away several years ago - now her grandchildren and son own it.  I know that the phone works out there, but whether or not Annette took her phone is another thing, SO the girls may have to come up with some other means if they can get the 4 young Paul's on line with their 9 cousins.  If not it will be Regina, Rosthern, and Saskatoon on line this time.  Back to the "be quiet".  It seems that this past week was so busy.  The phone rang more than usual.  Jim and I both decided it was time to reach out to folks that were more than just the family.  I was able to get a jar of yeast from my Pharmacy and we both had prescriptions to get, so I ventured out after 20 days of not running my automobile.  Jim decided that HE was going to get our groceries this week so went in "senior hour" the next morning, and again to get some Walleye fish later that same day as it hadn't arrived at the store yet.

Since our isolation, I have baked bread, watched Netflix, attempted to do some sewing.  I'm hung up on a stupid class I decided to take that is mostly appliqué and I hate appliqué, but it was meant to use our Janome feet, and some of those hundreds of decorative stitches.  The feet and stitches was what I saw, but I've only done 3 squares of 12 and I'm appliquéd out.  I'm not sure I will survive this quilt, which I'm making into individual wallhangings - very small wallhangings.  We've had to cancel classes until we are allowed to meet together again.   It's not a hard quilt to do, but I find this kind of work tedious.  Anyone interested in seeing the quilt look here:  http://www.stitchconnection.com/index.html

The bread making was very satisfying and it was also very good.  The second batch was better as I used a different recipe that used less flour, so it seems lighter.  I will give a loaf to our grandson as he lives with 2 other guys and they each do their own cooking.  I told him to "share" and they enjoyed the first loaf, so I'm assuming they enjoy the one I give him today as well.  I still have enough flour for several more batches.  I'm giving my Bosch machine a good workout again.  I baked a lot of bread in the 42 years I've had the machine, but not many since I moved to the city in 1996.  I'm glad it still works both the machine and me.  Bread making is easy when I don't need to use so much elbow grease to get the mixture together.

Enough said for this sunny Easter.

Cheryl - Saskatoon

June E Hudspeth

Good Afternoon Cheryl Paul:

Not sure this is politically correct to respond to your email; but going to give it a whirl 😊.

I love this email.

My husband & I did a cruise to Alaska & we loved it.

I bought some fabric at a quilt shop on one of our stops, believe it was in Juneau.  I am just finishing up a quilt (stained glass) with this fabric.

Thanks for brightening up my day!

June in Sacramento

[...]

Ann Jones

Good morning Cheryl
 Thank you for your letter from sunny but freezing Saskatoon. The images you painted are alive with feeling and love and have left a happy note here in sunny Adelaide -Autumn but still to be 30 degrees C this week. Understand your appliqué approach as I have similar. Potential to fail Year 9 sewing until my mother resued my smocking piece- a baby dress that my own child actually wore and we dressed her first grandchild in as a memory. Just completed a cot quilt with hand sewn appliqué. Turned circles to represent flowers and blossoms plus their leaves. Is very pretty though perhaps as it called The Rabbit Proof Fence (Hettie's Patch design) could have waited till after Easter :)
Have done similar - pulling out the bread machine to make hot cross buns- not the best but had the spice taste. Luckily I do much bottling and freezing of fruits over summers and have quite a stash. Meanwhile back in the sewing room, which my family rolled their eyes at as another parcel of material used to arrive, I have enough to keep me busy in all sorts of crafts. Have a Scan n Cut that was going to sell as a step to far in the gadget area but just might see if more useful than gathering dust. Meranwhile have just started sewing a pattern Pandora's Garden Gate,  from E quilter bought some years ago and stashed. Involves much cutting and measuring and luckily bought double the main fabric as managed to get that dreaded fold cut on the last 4 of of 8. The material is bright with yellows and reds, not colours I usually use, and as long as I measure twice- carefully- and sew accurately will be another top completed.
Happy Easter to you too.
Ann- Australia

Sent from Yahoo7 Mail. Get the app