From: Mary Sanerkin via groups.io
Sent: Saturday, October 9, 2021 2:15 PM
To: onlinesewing-janome@groups.io
Subject: [onlinesewing-janome] Buttonholes on a Janome 8900

I have been trying to get consistent repeat buttonholes using the Janome buttonhole memory (stitch 24).  I cannot use the auto buttonhole feature / foot as my button is too big.  I need to repeat the same buttonhole size 5 times in a row.  The machine has managed to reproduce one and if I am really lucky two correct buttonholes in a row before it starts going wonky.   The start and stop places on both sides of the buttonholes become staggered with one side of the buttonhole becoming higher / lower than the other.  I would say it was my fault and I had just not ‘recorded’ the buttonholes correctly but I manage to stitch out one or two before it starts getting weird.   As I needed to complete my project I have had to  resort to doing them manually which is not ideal.   My test pieces were all on the same fabric and folded over and interfaced to mirror my project.  I got two buttonholes stitching out beautifully on my test piece and then it went haywire.  I am stumped if anyone can help I would be really grateful.

Cheryl Paul

Mary, There is a larger buttonhole foot, but you shouldn’t need to buy that to do what you are trying to accomplish. Have you sewed out 2, turned off your machine and tried it again. Maybe there is something that just isn’t feeding correctly and a “reset” might just do the trick. Not ideal, but you can possibly get this project finished and then experiment with this feature as your time permits. What you’ve described seems to be that your fabric is shifting under the foot, as you can’t use your stabilization plate when you do the type of buttonhole you need - perhaps the “F” foot will do the trick as it has a channel under to let the stitches flow freely from from to back and vice versa. Let us know how you make out and hopefully, you can do it without anymore frustration.

I did buy the larger buttonhole foot but I haven’t ever used it, so I can’t even say how or if it works the way I would expect.

Cheryl - Saskatoon

Pixey

Hi Mary,

What foot are you using to do this?

Pixey

On Oct 9, 2021, at 2:15 PM, Mary Sanerkin via groups.io <m.sanerkin@...> wrote:

[...]

Mary Sanerkin

I am using the standard F foot as this is what the manual recommends when creating memory buttonholes (stitch 24) when you can’t use the long auto buttonhole foot because the button doesn’t fit into the back of the foot.

Mary Sanerkin

Thanks Cheryl.  I will try and play with this again as I hate to be defeated!  I was using the F foot but I wondered if I used the large auto-buttonhole foot without inserting the button or bringing down the lever would work.  It has the stabilising plate so perhaps it might help?   The manual says to use the F foot but I guess it can’t hurt to use the bigger foot.

Cheryl Paul

Hi Mary,

I just read my post and realized that there is a sentence in it that makes no sense at all.  I’m not sure what I was trying to say in it but just ignore it.  Also I wrote "from from to back” and it should be "from FRONT to back”.  Then sentence to ignore is: the highlighted one.
Mary, There is a larger buttonhole foot, but you shouldn’t need to buy that to do what you are trying to accomplish. Have you sewed out 2, turned off your machine and tried it again. Maybe there is something that just isn’t feeding correctly and a “reset” might just do the trick.

There is a “B” foot which is the plain buttonhole foot - looks much like the “F” foot.  It has a little tail at the back for wrapping a cord for a corded buttonhole and is clear plastic.  It is an extra purchase as it doesn’t come with any of the machines I have, but I did get one years ago “just in case” I wanted to sew a buttonhole without that bulky larger foot.  It doesn’t use that pull-down feature at all so you just leave that where it rests when you do regular sewing.  That pull-down just tells your machine when you engage it and have a button in the back, where it is to do the turn around and sew back up or down to the desired size of the buttonhole - it’s a stopper of sorts just to sizing.

I’m hoping that by the time you read this you will have solved your problem.  It is exceedingly frustrating to set out to do something that turns into a complicated task when you are in the “zone” to finish what you’ve started.  Just be patient and you will get there.  Read what your manual has to say about buttonholes, over and over.  If you have a sewing friend close by, ask them what they would do.  It always helps to discuss these things “out loud”, as we really hear what you need to.

Cheryl - Saskatoon

Cheryl Paul

Mary, Please let us know how your buttonholes turn out and what you do to get them they you want. It might help another or even me at some point. I do hope you have success soon.

Cheryl - Saskatoon

Mary Sanerkin

Hi Cheryl

Unfortunately I am still struggling.
I tried using the long auto buttonhole foot but not pulling down the lever but the results were still the same.
I tried with the F foot and using thinner fabric but still using an interface, no difference.
I tried doing it really slowly and being careful not to push/ pull the fabric and whilst this helped a little it still gave me a staggered buttonhole.

I think it would be helpful to be able to see the sequence and number of the stitches on buttonhole memory 24 that I have set up. So is there’s way to see this info on the screen? You can see the stitch sequence on other stitch sequences you have personally put into memory. I have a Janome 8900 and I don’t know how to see the stitch layout and count of preprogrammed stitches or even if it is possible.

Thanks

Mary

On 12 Oct 2021, at 17:35, Cheryl Paul <capaul@sasktel.net> wrote:

Mary, Please let us know how your buttonholes turn out and what you do to get them they you want. It might help another or even me at some point. I do hope you have success soon.

Cheryl - Saskatoon

Kathy Skagen

Mary,
Have you tried embroidering your buttonholes? I recently read a blog from Dime magazine about doing that and there were some button holes to download and try. If you are interested and can't find the article, let me know and I'll see if I can locate it.
Kathy

On Tuesday, October 12, 2021, 11:55:01 AM CDT, Mary Sanerkin via groups.io <m.sanerkin@...> wrote:

Hi Cheryl

Unfortunately I am still struggling.
I tried using the long auto buttonhole foot but not pulling down the lever but the results were still  the same.
I tried with the F foot and using thinner fabric but still using an interface, no difference.
I tried doing it really slowly and being careful not to push/ pull the fabric and whilst this helped a little it still gave me a staggered buttonhole.

I think it would be helpful to be able to see the sequence and number of the stitches on buttonhole memory 24 that I have set up.  So is there’s way to see this info on the screen?  You can see the stitch sequence on other stitch sequences you have personally put into memory.  I have a Janome 8900 and I don’t know how to see the stitch layout and count of preprogrammed stitches or even if it is possible.

Thanks

Mary

> On 12 Oct 2021, at 17:35, Cheryl Paul <capaul@...> wrote:
>
> Mary,  Please let us know how your buttonholes turn out and what you do to get them they you want.  It might help another or even me at some point.  I do hope you have success soon.
>
> Cheryl - Saskatoon

Mary Sanerkin

Hi

Why didn’t I think of this!  Duh

I have an embroidery machine ( Janome 550e) and I also have the artistic Digitizer software as I make my own embroidery designs.  Why isn’t I think of it before, of course I can use the embroidery buttonholes.  What an idiot I am.   I am still rather cross I can’t do it on the Janome 8900 as this is supposed to be a standard feature but Facebook sites are also saying the 8900 Janome button holes are pants.

Thanks for prompting me to this Kathy as I feel rather stupid I didn’t consider it considering I have the technology and machines.

Thanks once again.

Mary

On 12 Oct 2021, at 19:32, Kathy Skagen <kagen48@...> wrote:

Mary,
Have you tried embroidering your buttonholes? I recently read a blog from Dime magazine about doing that and there were some button holes to download and try. If you are interested and can't find the article, let me know and I'll see if I can locate it.
Kathy

On Tuesday, October 12, 2021, 11:55:01 AM CDT, Mary Sanerkin via groups.io <m.sanerkin@...> wrote:

Hi Cheryl

Unfortunately I am still struggling.
I tried using the long auto buttonhole foot but not pulling down the lever but the results were still  the same.
I tried with the F foot and using thinner fabric but still using an interface, no difference.
I tried doing it really slowly and being careful not to push/ pull the fabric and whilst this helped a little it still gave me a staggered buttonhole.

I think it would be helpful to be able to see the sequence and number of the stitches on buttonhole memory 24 that I have set up.  So is there’s way to see this info on the screen?  You can see the stitch sequence on other stitch sequences you have personally put into memory.  I have a Janome 8900 and I don’t know how to see the stitch layout and count of preprogrammed stitches or even if it is possible.

Thanks

Mary

> On 12 Oct 2021, at 17:35, Cheryl Paul <capaul@...> wrote:
>
> Mary,  Please let us know how your buttonholes turn out and what you do to get them they you want.  It might help another or even me at some point.  I do hope you have success soon.
>
> Cheryl - Saskatoon

Kathy Skagen

Lol! Glad to be of some help to you. But, honestly, even though I have been following your posts because I have trouble lining up button holes with the  button hole foot. (It is so hard to see the marks I put on my fabric due to the foot.) And with all that--I didn't think of embroidered button holes myself until today. I guess that's why we need groups to help each other. What one doesn't think of, hopefully another will.
I'd love to hear how you do with the embroidered buttonholes. It's something I would like to try someday.
Kathy

On Tuesday, October 12, 2021, 04:52:56 PM CDT, Mary Sanerkin via groups.io <m.sanerkin@...> wrote:

Hi

Why didn’t I think of this!  Duh

I have an embroidery machine ( Janome 550e) and I also have the artistic Digitizer software as I make my own embroidery designs.  Why isn’t I think of it before, of course I can use the embroidery buttonholes.  What an idiot I am.   I am still rather cross I can’t do it on the Janome 8900 as this is supposed to be a standard feature but Facebook sites are also saying the 8900 Janome button holes are pants.

Thanks for prompting me to this Kathy as I feel rather stupid I didn’t consider it considering I have the technology and machines.

Thanks once again.

Mary

On 12 Oct 2021, at 19:32, Kathy Skagen <kagen48@...> wrote:

Mary,
Have you tried embroidering your buttonholes? I recently read a blog from Dime magazine about doing that and there were some button holes to download and try. If you are interested and can't find the article, let me know and I'll see if I can locate it.
Kathy

On Tuesday, October 12, 2021, 11:55:01 AM CDT, Mary Sanerkin via groups.io <m.sanerkin@...> wrote:

Hi Cheryl

Unfortunately I am still struggling.
I tried using the long auto buttonhole foot but not pulling down the lever but the results were still  the same.
I tried with the F foot and using thinner fabric but still using an interface, no difference.
I tried doing it really slowly and being careful not to push/ pull the fabric and whilst this helped a little it still gave me a staggered buttonhole.

I think it would be helpful to be able to see the sequence and number of the stitches on buttonhole memory 24 that I have set up.  So is there’s way to see this info on the screen?  You can see the stitch sequence on other stitch sequences you have personally put into memory.  I have a Janome 8900 and I don’t know how to see the stitch layout and count of preprogrammed stitches or even if it is possible.

Thanks

Mary

> On 12 Oct 2021, at 17:35, Cheryl Paul <capaul@...> wrote:
>
> Mary,  Please let us know how your buttonholes turn out and what you do to get them they you want.  It might help another or even me at some point.  I do hope you have success soon.
>
> Cheryl - Saskatoon

Cat - N

Lol. I thought of it but you said you were having issues making oversized "Buttonholes on a Janome 8900" so I didn’t suggest it because the 8900 isn't an embroidery machine. Glad you have a way to do it that is automated...and an embroidery machine and goodies that can create what you want. There are manual ways to do oversize buttonholes that are a bit tedious but not as 'bad' as how we had to do them as kids using a straight stitch only treadle machine then hand sewing...but isn’t this kinda why we get such nice machines…for all the wonderful features?  Maybe that's my excuse...

- Cat

Typos courtesy of autocorrect.

On Oct 12, 2021 at 5:52 PM, <Mary Sanerkin via groups.io> wrote:

Hi

Why didn’t I think of this!  Duh

I have an embroidery machine ( Janome 550e) and I also have the artistic Digitizer software as I make my own embroidery designs.  Why isn’t I think of it before, of course I can use the embroidery buttonholes.  What an idiot I am.   I am still rather cross I can’t do it on the Janome 8900 as this is supposed to be a standard feature but Facebook sites are also saying the 8900 Janome button holes are pants.

Thanks for prompting me to this Kathy as I feel rather stupid I didn’t consider it considering I have the technology and machines.

Thanks once again.

Mary

On 12 Oct 2021, at 19:32, Kathy Skagen <kagen48@...> wrote:

Mary,
Have you tried embroidering your buttonholes? I recently read a blog from Dime magazine about doing that and there were some button holes to download and try. If you are interested and can't find the article, let me know and I'll see if I can locate it.
Kathy

On Tuesday, October 12, 2021, 11:55:01 AM CDT, Mary Sanerkin via groups.io <m.sanerkin@...> wrote:

Hi Cheryl

Unfortunately I am still struggling.
I tried using the long auto buttonhole foot but not pulling down the lever but the results were still  the same.
I tried with the F foot and using thinner fabric but still using an interface, no difference.
I tried doing it really slowly and being careful not to push/ pull the fabric and whilst this helped a little it still gave me a staggered buttonhole.

I think it would be helpful to be able to see the sequence and number of the stitches on buttonhole memory 24 that I have set up.  So is there’s way to see this info on the screen?  You can see the stitch sequence on other stitch sequences you have personally put into memory.  I have a Janome 8900 and I don’t know how to see the stitch layout and count of preprogrammed stitches or even if it is possible.

Thanks

Mary

> On 12 Oct 2021, at 17:35, Cheryl Paul <capaul@...> wrote:
>
> Mary,  Please let us know how your buttonholes turn out and what you do to get them they you want.  It might help another or even me at some point.  I do hope you have success soon.
>
> Cheryl - Saskatoon

favymtz

Mary, I've waited to see if anyone would jump in and make this one suggestion, and since no one has yet, here's my input.
If you're doing everything correctly that you can and still getting a staggered buttonhole repeatedly, it's most likely the sensor within the machine that needs to be adjusted.
Have you tried making any of the other buttonholes? If they are also staggered, or will not completely sew then it is the sensor and you'll need to take the machine to get it adjusted.
This happened on one of my machines and it came out of the blue.
Re embroidered buttonholes, I also do them on every garment where I have to make certain that all my buttonholes will be perfect! They're pretty much foolproof but the hooping of the garment can be tedious.
--
Favymtz

Cheryl Paul

Hi All,

I have to say that I am embarrassed. I did not think of embroidering the buttonholes either. I just assumed that Mary may not have had that option, so it didn’t occur to me. I know that I have a sweater knit, that needs 5 or 6 buttonholes down the front and I have tested the fabric to see how they will sew out. They turned out great BUT I have this dreadful fear of “what will happen” when I actually put the sweater under the needle buttonhole ready in the stabilizer plate and hit the “Start” button - that is where my fear is. I’ve had this happen to me more than once in my over 50 years of sewing where, the test is absolutely fool proof and then go to my garment and everything changes and I end up with a MESS. This sweater would be a nightmare to try to correct. I have decided to use my embroidery machine to do the buttonholes but just haven’t done it yet. I’d better pretty soon as my window of using this sweater as a jacket is coming to a close - we are a “thread” away from snow - you know that dreadful white stuff that we get in here is Saskatchewan in winter.

I guess we need to give all of our machines information - like what we have available to us - when we ask for help.

Mary, I’m so glad that your problem is solved.

Cheryl - Saskatoon

Kathy Skagen

Buttonholes are scary because they're the last step and if you have a problem, you can destroy your project. I had a Kenmore (made by Janome) that I bought in 1989 that used cams for the buttonholes. It made the most wonderful buttonholes with no problems at all. I was so easy to do. I haven't had a machine that created them as easily  or perfectly lined up since then.
Kathy

On Wednesday, October 13, 2021, 11:58:03 AM CDT, Cheryl Paul <capaul@...> wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the suggestion.  When you mention ‘sensor’ do you mean the pull down leaver?  If so I don’t use the leaver when using F foot as it isn’t needed.  I can’t try any of the other buttonhole stitches as I am not using the auto buttonhole foot.  My buttons are too big.

I will however be trying the embroidery buttonholes as this seems a good option.

Regards

Mary

On 13 Oct 2021, at 14:44, favymtz <favymtz@...> wrote:

Mary, I've waited to see if anyone would jump in and make this one suggestion, and since no one has yet, here's my input.
If you're doing everything correctly that you can and still getting a staggered buttonhole repeatedly, it's most likely the sensor within the machine that needs to be adjusted.
Have you tried making any of the other buttonholes? If they are also staggered, or will not completely sew then it is the sensor and you'll need to take the machine to get it adjusted.
This happened on one of my machines and it came out of the blue.
Re embroidered buttonholes, I also do them on every garment where I have to make certain that all my buttonholes will be perfect! They're pretty much foolproof but the hooping of the garment can be tedious.
--
Favymtz

favymtz

No, I don't mean the pull down buttonhole lever which is a type of sensor.
There's; there's a "hall effect sensor" inside the machine that is in that same area where the pull down lever is.
(I suppose the two of them work together to help measure out the buttonhole.)
The reason that I ask if you had tried any of the other styles of buttonholes is that none of the buttonholes will stitch properly if that internal sensor isn't set right.

I had successfully made buttonholes previously and one day was making samples of all of the buttonholes in the 15000 when I discovered they weren't stitching right, similar to what was happening with your machine, Mary.
The service tech explained it all to my husband, who told me the sensor is the type of sensor that's called "Hall Effect Sensor"!!!

--
Favymtz

Mary Sanerkin

Thanks for the info.  I will discuss it with the technician when my machine is next in for service.  Meanwhile I will use the embroidery machine for buttonholes.
Regards

Mary