bobbin thread nesting question

judyjanome <judyjanome@...>

I am doing an in the hoop design (dig. will remain not mentioned). When I get to a certain spot I get a terrible birds nest under the hoop so that I can bearly cut under to remove the hoop. I have to use the same emb thread in the needle as in the bobbin. What could be causing this and how could I correct it. Also if you are useing the same thread rayon #40 in the needle and rayon #40 in the bobbin for embroidery do you stwitch to the bobbin case with the yellow dot on it. Judy

Maria Boyle

I am having the same problem. When the embroidery gets to a certain spot it gets stuck there creating a birds nest underneath. I removed the hoop, had a hard time as the thread was jammed in the stitch plate. I am using the one hole stitch plate. I then change the bobbin case to the embroidery bobbin case, thinking that was the problem, but the I tried embroidering again, the same thing happened in the same exact spot. Don't know what I'm doing wrong. The stitch that the embroidery is stitching out when this happens is a satin stitch.

María

Sent from my iPad

On Dec 1, 2011, at 5:06 PM, "judyjanome" <judyjanome@yahoo.com> wrote:

I am doing an in the hoop design (dig. will remain not mentioned). When I get to a certain spot I get a terrible birds nest under the hoop so that I can bearly cut under to remove the hoop. I have to use the same emb thread in the needle as in the bobbin. What could be causing this and how could I correct it. Also if you are useing the same thread rayon #40 in the needle and rayon #40 in the bobbin for embroidery do you stwitch to the bobbin case with the yellow dot on it. Judy

Mary A Rease <bigmary@...>

I would contact the designer and see if they can help you out.

I test all of my designs on three different brands of Embroidery Machines and I have all of my designs tested on a number of machines by my Testers, but still love to hear if anyone is having a problem with one of my designs.

On Dec 1, 2011, at 5:06 PM, "judyjanome" <judyjanome@...> wrote:

> I am doing an in the hoop design (dig. will remain not mentioned). When I get to a certain spot I get a terrible birds nest under the hoop so that I can bearly cut under to remove the hoop. I have to use the same emb thread in the needle as in the bobbin. What could be causing this and how could I correct it. Also if you are useing the same thread rayon #40 in the needle and rayon #40 in the bobbin for embroidery do you stwitch to the bobbin case with the yellow dot on it. Judy

This can happen when a design is overly dense, or one that has some very short stitches. A size 14 needle (red tip) is 1.4mm wide. If you have a satin stitch that is less than 1.4mm long, both ends of the stitch will wind up in the same needle hole, leading to this sort of problem. If you are using a 14, try changing to an 11. If you are already using an 11 (blue tip), try using a 9. Of course if you go down to a 9 you may have trouble with 40wt thread going through the small eye, in which case you would want to go to 60wt thread. That's very difficult to find in home-use spools.

Also make sure that you have enough stabilizer. If you are using tear away, switch to a cut away. Short, dense stitches will literally cut through tear away stabilizer. If you are already using a cut away, you can "float" a sheet of tear away by just sliding it under the hoop. The stitches will tack it down and keep it in place for the stitching.

--- In janome12000@yahoogroups.com, Maria Boyle <maruka1@...> wrote:

[...]

Thank you Jim

I changed the needle to the blue one. Was using the needle that came already attached tithe machine, which was a red one. I'm almost done with the design, hopefully that will solve the problem. As for stabilizer, I am using inspira aqua magic.

I plan to make a few more. Will be interesting to know if this time around all will go smooth sailing. If it happens again in the same area, then its the design.

Thanks again for your reply.

María

Sent from my iPad

On Dec 1, 2011, at 6:15 PM, "Jim_Stutsman" <jim@onlinesewing.com> wrote:

[...]

Donna Morton

Are you using anything on the inner hoop to keep the aqua magic from slipping?  If the aqua magic is slipping, then the problem you describe can happen because the registration of the design in now off.  The needle will be hitting a dense area that wouldn’t be there if the aqua magic was held firmly in the hoop.  Sometimes you also need to use two layers of aqua magic to preserve the registration of high density lace designs.

Donna M
Canada

Sent: Thursday, December 01, 2011 3:51 PM
Subject: Re: [janome12000] Re: bobbin thread nesting question

On Dec 1, 2011, at 6:15 PM, "Jim_Stutsman" <mailto:jim%40onlinesewing.com> wrote:

> This can happen when a design is overly dense, or one that has some very short stitches. A size 14 needle (red tip) is 1.4mm wide. If you have a satin stitch that is less than 1.4mm long, both ends of the stitch will wind up in the same needle hole, leading to this sort of problem. If you are using a 14, try changing to an 11. If you are already using an 11 (blue tip), try using a 9. Of course if you go down to a 9 you may have trouble with 40wt thread going through the small eye, in which case you would want to go to 60wt thread. That's very difficult to find in home-use spools.
>
> Also make sure that you have enough stabilizer. If you are using tear away, switch to a cut away. Short, dense stitches will literally cut through tear away stabilizer. If you are already using a cut away, you can "float" a sheet of tear away by just sliding it under the hoop. The stitches will tack it down and keep it in place for the stitching.
>
> --- In mailto:janome12000%40yahoogroups.com, Maria Boyle wrote:
>>
>> I am having the same problem. When the embroidery gets to a certain spot it gets stuck there creating a birds nest underneath. I removed the hoop, had a hard time as the thread was jammed in the stitch plate. I am using the one hole stitch plate. I then change the bobbin case to the embroidery bobbin case, thinking that was the problem, but the I tried embroidering again, the same thing happened in the same exact spot. Don't know what I'm doing wrong. The stitch that the embroidery is stitching out when this happens is a satin stitch.
>>

>> María
>>
>> Sent from my iPad
>>

>> On Dec 1, 2011, at 5:06 PM, "judyjanome" wrote:
>>
>>> I am doing an in the hoop design (dig. will remain not mentioned). When I get to a certain spot I get a terrible birds nest under the hoop so that I can bearly cut under to remove the hoop. I have to use the same emb thread in the needle as in the bobbin. What could be causing this and how could I correct it. Also if you are useing the same thread rayon #40 in the needle and rayon #40 in the bobbin for embroidery do you stwitch to the bobbin case with the yellow dot on it. Judy

Aqua Magic is a water soluble stabilizer. Are you doing freestanding lace (FSL)? If not, this is not a good stabilizer for dense designs non-lace designs. Cut away would be better. If you are doing FSL you might try using a fine serger thread. Janome makes 60wt and 90wt serger thread that makes great FSL. Few dealers carry it, and it's more expensive than any other serger thread, but it does make great lace.

--- In janome12000@yahoogroups.com, Maria Boyle <maruka1@...> wrote:
Thank you Jim

I changed the needle to the blue one. Was using the needle that came already attached tithe machine, which was a red one. I'm almost done with the design, hopefully that will solve the problem. As for stabilizer, I am using inspira aqua magic.

I plan to make a few more. Will be interesting to know if this time around all will go smooth sailing. If it happens again in the same area, then its the design.

Thanks again for your reply.

María

Sent from my iPad

Maria Boyle

Hi Donna,

     The only thing I hoop is the aqua magic.  The design is an in the hoop design, Christmas tree.
There are 11 parts to the tree and each part is embroidered & removed from hoop.  Then the next part is partially embroidered the you add the previous part to it.  Each section is attached to the next section by satin stitch, building up the tree, a section at a time.

     The first stitch is the outline.  Then I have to remove the hoop, spray the back side of the hoop
with adhesive spray on the stabilizer and place a piece of fabric around the outline of the stitch. Put hoop back on embroidery arm and put a piece of batting and the fabric.  Then stitch out the next two steps.  Remove the hoop, cut the fabric close to the stitch line, both front & back.  Put hoop back and that's when it does the final stitch down by satin stitch.  This is then removed from hoop and trimmed.  The whole process starts all over with the next section of the tree.

     Maybe I will try tear away stabler the next time I do this.  The only reason I used aqua magic is because the design calls for dissolvable stabilizer.

María

Sent from my iPad

Sent: Thursday, December 01, 2011 3:51 PM

Thank you Jim

I changed the needle to the blue one. Was using the needle that came already attached tithe machine, which was a red one. I'm almost done with the design, hopefully that will solve the problem. As for stabilizer, I am using inspira aqua magic.

I plan to make a few more. Will be interesting to know if this time around all will go smooth sailing. If it happens again in the same area, then its the design.

Thanks again for your reply.

María

Sent from my iPad

On Dec 1, 2011, at 6:15 PM, "Jim_Stutsman" <mailto:jim%40onlinesewing.com> wrote:

> This can happen when a design is overly dense, or one that has some very short stitches. A size 14 needle (red tip) is 1.4mm wide. If you have a satin stitch that is less than 1.4mm long, both ends of the stitch will wind up in the same needle hole, leading to this sort of problem. If you are using a 14, try changing to an 11. If you are already using an 11 (blue tip), try using a 9. Of course if you go down to a 9 you may have trouble with 40wt thread going through the small eye, in which case you would want to go to 60wt thread. That's very difficult to find in home-use spools.
>
> Also make sure that you have enough stabilizer. If you are using tear away, switch to a cut away. Short, dense stitches will literally cut through tear away stabilizer. If you are already using a cut away, you can "float" a sheet of tear away by just sliding it under the hoop. The stitches will tack it down and keep it in place for the stitching.
>
> --- In mailto:janome12000%40yahoogroups.com, Maria Boyle wrote:
>>
>> I am having the same problem. When the embroidery gets to a certain spot it gets stuck there creating a birds nest underneath. I removed the hoop, had a hard time as the thread was jammed in the stitch plate. I am using the one hole stitch plate. I then change the bobbin case to the embroidery bobbin case, thinking that was the problem, but the I tried embroidering again, the same thing happened in the same exact spot. Don't know what I'm doing wrong. The stitch that the embroidery is stitching out when this happens is a satin stitch.
>>

>> María
>>
>> Sent from my iPad
>>

>> On Dec 1, 2011, at 5:06 PM, "judyjanome" wrote:
>>
>>> I am doing an in the hoop design (dig. will remain not mentioned). When I get to a certain spot I get a terrible birds nest under the hoop so that I can bearly cut under to remove the hoop. I have to use the same emb thread in the needle as in the bobbin. What could be causing this and how could I correct it. Also if you are useing the same thread rayon #40 in the needle and rayon #40 in the bobbin for embroidery do you stwitch to the bobbin case with the yellow dot on it. Judy

Maria Boyle

Hi Jim,

No I am not doing FSL. I just posted a reply previous to this one, where I explain what I am working on.

Thanks for the tip. I will different stabilizer the next one I make

María

Sent from my iPad

On Dec 1, 2011, at 8:55 PM, "Jim_Stutsman" <jim@onlinesewing.com> wrote:

[...]

Now that we know what you are doing we can respond (a little) more intelligently. You need to use water soluble stabilizer for a project of this type. If the whole thing stitches fine until you get to a specific spot, there are most likely too many stitches in that spot. You have no control over that, and there's not much you can do to correct it. If you have Digitizer you could maybe use EasyEdit in Stitch Mode to delete or move the excess stitches. I would suggest taking a photo of it to show the problem area and contact the designer.

On Dec 1, 2011, at 8:55 PM, "Jim_Stutsman" <jim@...> wrote:

[...]

Thanks Jim,

I do have 5D professional which has a stitch editor. Will play with that.

María

Sent from my iPad