Topics

Bobbin noisy

danlin@...

Jim, my bobbin is noisy when embroidering. I remember reading about putting a washer under the bobbin to stop the noise. I tried it and yes it did stop the noise and embroidered well. The question is: can I damage my machine doing this? Thanks!
--
LindaB

onlinesewing@...

If by "a washer" you mean one of those plastic ones sold as "Genie" or "Magic", then it won't harm your machine. If you mean a metal washer, such as one would put under a bolt, then don't do it. Metal in a bobbin case held in by a magnet is a really bad idea. The real problem here is due to:
  1. A bad bobbin, with burrs that are catching the thread.
  2. Burrs in the bobbin case and/or hook race that are causing stitches to catch as they wrap around the bobbin case.
  3. A bobbin that has a thread tail sticking out of it through the hole in the top. Snip it off!
  4. A bobbin that is poorly wound and is very loose.

danlin@...

Problem solved, it makes more noise when the bobbin is almost empty. No need for washer. Sorry to bother you with this. Have a super great day!
--
LindaB

danlin@...

I just have the magnet under the bobbin with no magnet holding it. Will that be ok. The machine is so less noisy. I always cut my ends,it is a new bobbin case,no burs on it and it isn,t wound loosely.
--
LindaB

onlinesewing@...

For the benefit of onlookers, the magnet in question is a brown ring that is UNDER the bobbin case. It can be removed for cleaning, but must be in place before sewing. And while you're looking down there, that fuzzy bit in the center of the hook race (metal piece the bobbin case sits in) is NOT lint, but is an oil wick. DO NOT REMOVE IT! Once pulled out it is impossible to put back. A single drop of oil on it every few months is enough to keep it and the machine happy.

danlin@...

I should have said washer under the bobbin not magnet.
--
LindaB